logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#234678 2015-05-08 11:37
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
In my stereo zone, I currently have DSP5200s fed by an MS600. I don't have a preamp at the moment, as my listening is mainly Sooloos. There is a BR player, TV and Sky receiver in that room, but no connection into the audio system at present. If and when I got the opportunity, I've been wondering which would bring the greater improvement, an 818 or upgrading the speakers to SE (either via upgrade or replacement).


.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Good question but impossible to answer really. Both will bring benefits. Personally, I think the SE jump is quite significant.
Until the MQA architecture becomes clear anything on the front-end is hard to judge.

You could get a demo of both and see which tickles your ears the most.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
SE is more "futureproof" regarding DSD, DXD and whatnot..


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574
Likes: 6
Crion, if i remember correctly you had a ID40 before your ID41 and G series before that. In your experience, what had the biggest impimpact going to SE or to ID41?


Living room: Ansuz Mainz8 C2, Uptone Ethernet Regen, Grimm MU1, Audionote (UK) DAC 5 Special, TT2, M2RIAA, Audionote (UK) OTO Line SE Signature, Fleetwood Deville SQ
sold (Q1-2024): 818v3, DSP7200SE
Office: MS200, audio engine A2+
Spare: STAX SRM-323II, SR303, MC200 (Roon ROCK’ed),
Roon: life time subscription
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
FWIW, I'm considering an 818v3 to use with both my DSP6000s and my STAX SR-009s. If I can wangle some comms magic wink I might be able to get it to feed a pair of D33s in another room as well.

In the past, I'd have plumped for the speaker upgrade every time, but I've heard enough from others, of some real wizardry in the 818v2 (which is apparently very audible with "mere" D33s vs. the ID41 in an 861v8), to convince me otherwise. That plus I'd get a lot of mileage out of an 818 which could feed three different "zones" (though not, of course, concurrently).

However, I'm still waiting for more information from Meridian on MQA distributed decoding/processing architecture before I make the big decision.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
However, I'm still waiting for more information from Meridian on MQA distributed decoding/processing architecture before I make the big decision.

You are not alone.

Russ

Last edited by Ratbert; 2015-05-08 17:43.
#234700 2015-05-08 18:16
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Indeed


.
#234701 2015-05-08 18:22
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
+1.

I will also do the 818v3 upgrade route first, then potentially DSP8000 to SE spec - but not until M explains how MQA (and now DSD) will work on the 818v3, and how it might interface digitally with my other non-Meridian system. Like VK I am looking to get the maximum possible out of the 818v3 - digital to DSP8000s and analogue into another system (if it won't work digitally).


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485

I would do SE upgrade first (it is available now cool )- IMHO Meridian has 'arrived' with SE upgrade in speaker world.

About MQA- I think it will take time (while updates will be announced later this year) the content is a work in progress (is happening but..)

All IMHO of course crazy.

2016 will be the year for better options of more accessible hi-rez/MQA content. I hope to be surprised with plethora of more options and in an earlier timeframe smile

regards,
Kishore

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
I have an 818v2 and DSP7200v2 and plan upgrades to 818v3 and DSP7200 SE.

However, even though I can upgrade now I am going to wait. There are too many uncertainties with the future products yet to be released by Meridian.

My fear is that upgrading now may mean another hardware upgrade option later in 2015 when MQA etc are released.


Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
I wonder just how many potential sales are being held back.


.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by M Music
My fear is that upgrading now may mean another hardware upgrade option later in 2015 when MQA etc are released.
I think that, in your case (818v3 + DSP7200SE), your fear is unfounded; but without more information from Meridian, I understand your position completely and think that it is a wise stance to take.

Originally Posted by JobSeeker
I wonder just how many potential sales are being held back.
Many, including mine.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.062s Queries: 40 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8836 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 01:23:03 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS