logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
I'm buying an early unit 861 with v2.81 firmware. My use is strictly limited to 3 DSPs in Trifield fashion.
Also 99.9% of my music is either 44KHz Redbook/FLACs or 48KHz stream.

I have read a lot about the 861 but all I find mostly are info for v3/v4 and above.

Could you please teach me what are the limitation I would have in a strictly DSP environnement with 3 speakers?

Things I would like:
- Upsampling for the 3 speakers OE12 digital output
- Accepting 96KHz stream on digital input IE16

Info I want:
I suspect it's a v1 unit because the analog outputs are two OA00U
and analogue input is IA00

Thanks


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
My cards are:
IE16 (digital in)
OA00U (analog out 22bit 48Khz)
OA00U
OE12 (digital out)
COO (COMM)

I got my responses by looking at the 861 2.5 firmware release notes.

Quote
Hardware restrictions (card needed and feature of the 2.5 software)

IE16 :
MHR input from 800.
Any 96kHz processing or output.
Upsampling of 44.1 or 48kHz sources
(and possibly from my 596P)

Quote
OE12 :
OE12 is required for MHR output, or
96k output if DSP Loudspeakers are used
(looks like my DSP3100 will have that feature)

Quote
New software highlights :
Support for new MSR3 and Meridian 800 DVD/CD Machine.
4-channel 96/24 MHR output in Trifield, Music, Stereo & Direct.
Upsampling for 4-channel output from 44.1kHz and 48kHz sources.
Room correction with graphical set up.
New MLP software.
Mono DSP Preset adds a �Party� option (mono from all channels).
Sine-sweep for setting up Room Correction and room acoustic checks.
Start-up volume level.
(So my wish about upsampling may be fulfilled!)

The seller told me that he couldn't distinguish his v2 from his v6 when using his DSP8K.

I can't wait!


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 169
Likes: 7
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 169
Likes: 7
I own and love my 861v2. I use an Explorer v1 to handle USB audio from my computer and convert it to digital optical to feed the 861. It sounds wonderful.


558.2 amp, Meridian A500 speakers, M2500 sub, Director & Explorer DACs
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Regardless of what any seller might say, it is worth understanding the general feedback when users moved initially from v2 to v4 and then v6 (even v8 beyond that). They are all great units but each major up version seemed to deliver better SQ... even through DSP's. I'd even suggest 8k's make the differences easier to hear (IMHO).


Rgds,
Nick


Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
+1 on the 8k's, I also noticed the difference on v6 to v8.

Russ

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Going from v4 to v8 was very clear to me, even without 8ks.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
I shouldn't have added the last bit as I'm sure there is sound quality upgrades from all the incremental version upgrades. I never questioned those upgrades.

For my case I'm happy with my 561 and DSP3k1 that is to say that I have modest expectations and I'm already happy with the old processor.

Having the 861v2 is for me an upgrade that is also a backup for a Trifield ready option in case one of the processor goes wrong.

I need Trifield.

Also I'm beginning to worry a little about the claim about the seller... Did you follow the 861v2 that was on sale on eBay last week? The seller looks very trustworthy and I see no signs of the contrary.


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
The 861v2 is a great old processor. Hopefully you will really enjoy it when it arrives and you hook it up to your 3100's (I own 5!)

I think the objection was that the seller claimed the v2 sounded as good as the v6 through the 8000's. While the 8K's are great, I am not sure they are that great! :-) Too bad the seller never hooked up 818 to his or her 8000's!

The used Meridian market in the United States has taken a big hit, especially in the G68 marketplace. One recently sold for just above 1K USD on eBay, which is about half price from several years ago. I have a hard time not buying super cheap used Meridian gear. sadly I only own 1 home right now and it is full of M. equipment already!


Primary: 818v3+ID41, M6 stereo pair, M SpeakerLink cabling, Sonos+96kHz Cullen, silver DSW
HT: Marantz prepro, 271, DSP3300, 8K SE FL/FR pair, DSP M6x2, DSP320x4 (ceiling), black DSW, 520 RL/RR rear in-walls
Living Room: G65, 640 L/R in-walls, UHD722, MS600
Vac. Home: G61, HD621, 4xDSP3100, DSP3100HC
MDMS:NUC/ROCK+TrueNAS Core 12.0 ZFS file server
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
There is a massive upgrade from a 561 to a 568, and again a 568.2 added something pretty impressive too.
The 861v2 has the same sonic signature to the 568.2, compared with say the G68, but sounds more grown up, it just does everything that little bit better.

Looking at the prices of 861v2 and v4s they seem to be absolute bargains in the Meridian world at the moment.

Yeah the v6 and v8 add another level, but there is a huge jump in price to get it.


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Agreed. 861v4 with ID40 (in mint condition is a good cul de sac to be in) and is excellent value for both multi and 2 channel rooms.

With the M trend to 2 channel advances I am happy to stick and await developments.

Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
I too will use my Explorer v1 first model to output USB audio into the 861. The recent trend of fan less minipc is godsend to create ersatz streaming zone with the good PC software. A real treat on the cheap.

There is a digital tape out on the IE16 that will feed the Director for a headphone probably the stay kit while another zone will be dedicated for a tube amp and Sony z7...

I hope I could find OE12 cards someday when I get. Bigger flat.


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Its good to hear I will get a good upgrade from the 561. Really I love that modest processor so so much.

With MQA arriving I will begin to save for a full new kit with bigger DSP and a new processor with MQA, but seeing how expensive it might get, by the time I arrive there I would have moved to a house!


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 179 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.084s Queries: 40 (0.050s) Memory: 0.8852 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 06:07:58 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS