logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
JBS
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
Hi all,

Today I installed the needed to operate the vMSR, got it working, but I have a question.

I am using a 568 legacy processor and the keys on the remote MSR are slightly different for the sources to select.
eg. instead of a GAME source it's LD.

Now the vMSR uses the MSR+ keys, problem is I cannot select some of my old sources with equipment behind it (LP, Tape1+2, CDR, LD).

How can I overcome this and still select those sources from vMSR?

Thanks for your assistance.

Guido.


568.1 Processor, 562v3 MController, 596 DVD Player, 504 Tuner, MC200, MS600, 218, 210, Roon
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
JBS
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
Hi again,

I did some further investigations.
When I use the Control Window application, I also have the problem.

Let me explain more: 562 + 568 setup, connecting the PC with a serial cable to 562, used config legacy program with remote as MSR+ setting.

Selecting the disc source in the Control program produces "error" in the display, which I assume is the same problem vMSR has. Selecting TV works fine.

When we solve this, I presume my vMSR issue is also solved.

Anybody able to help?


568.1 Processor, 562v3 MController, 596 DVD Player, 504 Tuner, MC200, MS600, 218, 210, Roon
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
The RS232 protocols across different Meridian devices differ slightly, especially with older kit. It may be that 562 is not fully supported with vMSR - think it may have a mode for legacy or non identified devices but its been a while since I had a play and then only with DSP5000's. I'm pretty sure that vMSR wont know what its talking to as I think 562 pre dates the identify command.

Check out the 562 RS232 code list on Duncs website and compare it with devices with known suport and you may see a correlation between codes returning an error and those that work.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
JBS
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
Yes I've looked at these technotes.

I know exactly the ones that don't work, it's the sources that have been re-mapped when going from MSR to MSR+ according to this Wiki - MSR Mapping.
I think when I would use a MSR+ on my equipment it would give me the same issue. At least through the control program it is so.

In the legacy configuration program I do have the option to say to both devices which version of remote is being used, but changing this only has an impact on the source naming in the program, nothing else on the equipment, it seems. I would like to confirm this. Is somebody using an MSR+ with an 568+562 combination with Disc+Sat+Game+Tape sources working?

Maybe I would need to re-type them?
Does it make sense?

Thanks for reading.


568.1 Processor, 562v3 MController, 596 DVD Player, 504 Tuner, MC200, MS600, 218, 210, Roon
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
JBS
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
Hmm strange, I've just tested with a MSR+ to see if what I presumed is the case.

However Disc+Sat+Tape+Game source buttons seem to work fine on the remote, that's not something I would have expected.

I am lost again.


568.1 Processor, 562v3 MController, 596 DVD Player, 504 Tuner, MC200, MS600, 218, 210, Roon
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi Guido,

What firmware versions are 568 and 562 running?

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
JBS
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
Hi,

Happy 2015 to all readers!

I am using for the 568.1 v1.55
and the 562 is a v.3 (not firmware up-gradable, I think)


Regards,
Guido


568.1 Processor, 562v3 MController, 596 DVD Player, 504 Tuner, MC200, MS600, 218, 210, Roon
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi again,

Your 568.1 is on the latest firmware it supports, so that's ok.
Originally Posted by JBS
... connecting the PC with a serial cable to 562.
May I make a suggestion; reconfigure your system so that the 568.1 is the controller and connect the PC to the 568.1's RS232 port.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
JBS
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 1
Hi,

So tested quickly. The 568 always has been the controller.
Re-checked again using the clear on remote.

Connecting the RS-232 to 568 directly from PC to use control windows gives the same problem:

MSR+ tab using Disc, Tape, Game, Sat gives 'error'
MSR tab all sources work fine.

Maybe this is normal?
But why does a real MSR+ work then? Does it 'emulate' a MSR4 when used with a 568.1? And the vMSR doesn't? Could that be the issue?

For using the vMSR I always used the RS-232 port from the 568 since that was the main controller.

Open to other suggestions, remarks...




568.1 Processor, 562v3 MController, 596 DVD Player, 504 Tuner, MC200, MS600, 218, 210, Roon
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
A real MSR+ and the vMSR have nothing in common other than the name and what it looks like on screen.

MSR+ uses an IR protocol that is generally common between devices, save for a couple of minor differences that are largely compatible in one form or another across versions.

vMSR protocol is RS232 and it would appear that there is far less control code commonality between versions let alone devices. The vMSR app would needs to map the on screen buttons with RS232 control codes for each different device it is connected to. For some devices this is well documented and they can probably be interrogated by vMSR to automatically determine the device. However, for other devices and versions, this is not the case which sounds to be the case you are finding.

Its not a case of emulating MSR4 codes, it a case of transmitting the set of codes that best match the device RS232 command set and thats only assuming it's able to determine the device its talking to in the first place.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 202 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.051s Queries: 35 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8706 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 22:44:09 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS