Please read my post carefully. I said the ID41 digital out is best, the C10/15 the worst. I think if one is going to buy a Bricasti level DAC then the OP should know what the best signal out is. Never said a thing about original Sooloos sound quality.
My last comment is not misleading in any way. To be VERY clear, the original Sooloos system was sold as a stand alone 2ch music server with an outstanding GUI. It was very expensive and new but many bought in with the thought that it would only get better. Then M bought Sooloos and it was immediately morphed into the M ecosystem (Speakerlink, Apodizing, limited upsampling, MSR, MConfig, Control MAC and PC, etc.) all with the focus that it (Sooloos) will be used with M speakers and M electronics. M have given basically no consideration to the original Sooloos concept. Yes it is sonically better that the original Sooloos components but clearly its original use is now an afterthought.
And, I think a newbie to Sooloos should understand all there is to know about the system, especially a user who has one of the best DACs available, don't you?
I'm not going to presume I fully understand your motivation but the impression you repeatedly give with your posts it that you hold Meridian responsible for the original Sooloos not evolving and meeting your requirements. The reality is that without Meridian's investment it is highly likely Sooloos systems would no longer exist ... my understanding is that Sooloos was bankrupt a failing company with large debts.
Meridian saw the potential of the Sooloos application and invested in the people behind it by adopting (acquiring) the company and a giving it a stable financial footing. The Sooloos founders and developers still work for Meridian (they post on here from time to time) and they have confirmed that major development of the Sooloos application is ongoing.
Together Sooloos and Meridian are better than the sum of their parts, period. Can it be improved, absolutely. Will it be perfect ... What is!
You're welcome to express your opinion on the relative merits of the Meridian-Sooloos hardware and their respective AQ (with or without a third party DAC) but please do this without putting the knife in Meridian's back each time. If you feel this request is unreasonable then please contact myself or one of the moderators to discuss.
Carl And, I think a newbie to Sooloos should understand all there is to know about the system, especially a user who has one of the best DACs available, don't you?
You are correct a "newbie" should understand everything about Sooloos, but as it is today, not as it was, or how it might have developed. Hector
AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD. DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG. STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini A capella to Zydeco
As an update, I finally settled for a 818v2 as a DAC in place of the Bricasti. The sound has been wonderful fresh out of the box and I'm hoping that it will only get better!
From your experience, how much time would you give for the 818 to be fully broken in (assuming you believe in break in period. I recognize there are various views in this)? 300hrs?
System: ML 53, ML52, Revel Salon2 Source: ML512, 818v3, Control:15, Apple TV Cabling: Transparent Audio Ultra speaker and interconnect; Opus power cord Others: Meridian F80
Indeed... In a way, I'm managing my own expectations!
System: ML 53, ML52, Revel Salon2 Source: ML512, 818v3, Control:15, Apple TV Cabling: Transparent Audio Ultra speaker and interconnect; Opus power cord Others: Meridian F80
As an update, I finally settled for a 818v2 as a DAC in place of the Bricasti. The sound has been wonderful fresh out of the box and I'm hoping that it will only get better!
Congrats on your purchase!
I'd love your opinion on how the sound of the 818.2 compares to the Bricasti, if you have a chance!
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s