logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222252 2014-10-13 15:25
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
I want to use XLD for ripping and check my already accurate? data/music.
I guess its the best to store FLAC files on my Ensemble,
then Sooloos will work flawless and with best quality.
There are a lot of setups in XLD what i do not understand and/or know what is the best for Sooloos.
I have adden some screenshots for my questions
here
Please help here for the setup with the best sound.

Thanks

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
I gave up with XLD.

I now rip with dBpoweramp in a Windows 8 VM running on OSX.

dBpa just works(TM), quick ripping, gets great quality artwork, finds meta data everytime.

Regards
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
(Not a very helpful post for Robert. XLD just works too. And dBpa doesn't work on OS X yet. And it costs, which XLD doesn't. And dBpa doesn't retrospectively check AR status, AFAIK.)

Robert, I'll get back to you on your specific questions but basically you just need to leave it as it was when installed. Set to FLAC, set to "user C2 error pointers", and that's about it.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
Spoon has been releasing betas of dBpa on Mac OS X (up to beta 7 now). It works pretty well, in fact I use it for all my new discs now instead of vmware+dBpa win now.

Tag 1.0.3 from Feisty Dog software for tag editing for $4.99 from the App store is finally a good FLAC editor natively compiled for Mac OSX.


Primary: 818v3+ID41, M6 stereo pair, M SpeakerLink cabling, Sonos+96kHz Cullen, silver DSW
HT: Marantz prepro, 271, DSP3300, 8K SE FL/FR pair, DSP M6x2, DSP320x4 (ceiling), black DSW, 520 RL/RR rear in-walls
Living Room: G65, 640 L/R in-walls, UHD722, MS600
Vac. Home: G61, HD621, 4xDSP3100, DSP3100HC
MDMS:NUC/ROCK+TrueNAS Core 12.0 ZFS file server
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Ludwig
(Not a very helpful post for Robert.
I'm sorry you feel that way. However I wouldn't have written it if I thought it wasn't helpful.

Sure, XLD is free, but I outlined above why I felt dBpa was better than XLD. I personally feel that dBpa is WELL worth the money and the effort of running a VM.

I didn't say don't use XLD, I used it for years, but I finally downloaded the dBpa trial version and couldn't believe how much easier and faster it was than XLD. By all means go down the XLD route, but my time is worth something and the cost of dBpa came well under that.

Personally, I don't find YOUR post helpful.

Regards
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Spoon has done great work on dBpa over the years and the Mac variety is slowly but surely catching up on the Windows original. I rarely tweak XLD unless downsizing hi-res, say, for iPhone but for best advice try the XLDGuide.

~M~


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Hello to all answers here.

Thanks for your good advice/thoughts/suggestions.

It will help me to move on "Peace on earth" wink

It's a forum here - have fun and play good music smile

Thanks
Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
Could someone give a brief reason why I need anything besides Control:Mac for importing discs or files to my MC200. I have been using it for a couple of years now and haven't come across an issue.


Jim
Wilson Alexandrea X2 Series 2
D'Agostino Momentum M-400 Amps & Pre Amp
dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler & Clock
SME 20/3 & Esoteric E-03
Transparent OPUS SC & Interconnects
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 73
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 73
Several reasons

- Disaster - both my C15 and MD600 die the day after warranty expires

- Improbable - Meridian stops support

- Curiosity - to be able to drag and drop the independent rip (e.g. dBpa) to a 'different' system to try.

- Murphy's law - all backups are corrupt when you need them


Main : C15, MD600, Aurender N10, EMM DAC2X, Boulder 865, Oppo BDP-95, JM Labs Maestro Utopia
Office : PC, Resonessence Invicta, HD800
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Likes: 4
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Likes: 4
The main reason is that unlike XLD or dBpoweramp, Control:Mac doesn't seem to create metadata tags which can make using your ripped music in other systems more complicated.

Soundserge

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
Thanks.

Since I am not really concerned about any of those issues (other than Meridian stopping support of MDMS) I will continue along just using Control:Mac to get my music onto the MC200.

I thought I might be missing something SQ wise.
Jim


Jim
Wilson Alexandrea X2 Series 2
D'Agostino Momentum M-400 Amps & Pre Amp
dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler & Clock
SME 20/3 & Esoteric E-03
Transparent OPUS SC & Interconnects

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
6 members (Floris, Gemeni, Alm, Mr_Sukebe, YankinYork, CMB Integrations - Bruce), 173 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,174
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 37 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8770 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 12:32:48 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS