Aren't ferrites effectively filters (which is why using them arbitrarily can be undesirable)? There was some excitement when the Anniversaries appeared with ferrites on- some having a go at DIY. If they are filters, perhaps that explains why NCPL didn't hear as much gain as others.
Galvanic Isolation and consequent noise reduction appears to be a good proposition. I am not convinced that "filtering" brings anything, that M have not already considered, to the party. I await valued comment from Ronnie and DaveyC re switch design and the contribution this makes to a Sooloos Network. Hector
AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD. DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG. STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini A capella to Zydeco
Hector, you raise a good point re looking at quality of network switches. I had a bit of a sniff around online looking for good quality switches a couple of weeks ago, in the hope that there might be switches out there where designers have paid more attention to good quality PSU, earthing and control of noise.
As for useful opinions, I'll have to leave it to Ronnie or others, as my knowledge on pure IT stuff is limited!
One week later, following a significant amount of hours of music play, my brain has fully burnt in and the GISO has opened out into a fuller sound.
The detail that was first heard following the loan of DaveyC's GISO is now comparable.
As a reference mark to the SQ before the GISO, there are indeed step improvements to spacial, positional and air detail in the music. This, in my system context, is the stand-out feature; it was a flatter soundstage before. 2nd most notable is bass frequencies really do go lower. Far lower than before the GISO was installed. They're punchier and they're better defined with an improvement in control too - best described as an improvement in reproducing the actual note. This also adds a bit of pace to the rhythm. Vocals sound rather nice, with an improved timbre to an individuals' voice. In tandem, with the opening out of the soundstage in both width and depth, details within are improved upon too. The music has more presence and you get more of an emotional involvement in it.
Without sounding too enthusiastic and OTT on what the GISO GB has done, the thing of note is that the above are improvements to the pre-GISO Sooloos sound and several steps further on into revealing more of the recording. At this already high level of music replay, I personally think that this is a very pleasant success at pushing the boundaries to what we get from our Meridian equipment.
808v6, DSP7200SE, MD600 Vertex AQ & LeadingEdge products
I have now had the Emo systems EN-30 in my system for just over a week now.
I have an MD600 and a NAS connected to my network in a basement with a Netgear switch. From the switch I have 30m of cat6 UTP going up through the house to another switch to which is connected my TV, 861v8/ID41, Dune and a bridged wireless router. I placed the EN30 between this switch and the 861V8 with the short cat 5e STP cable supplied with the EN-30 into the ID41.
So has it had a positive impact on the SQ of my Sooloos set-up? The simple answer is yes!
Actually from day one there was an improvement. There is without doubt a subtle improvement in the clarity and openness. There appears to be more separation between instruments/vocals resulting in enhanced levels of detail without fatigue.
Taking into account some of the very interesting previous posts I think it is fair to say that I could probably improve the environment of the ID41 (it is virtually sat next to a wireless bridged router) and I am using cat6 UTP. But to move/change these would be very impractical for me.
My system sounded wonderful before and it was difficult to imagine any improvements but the EN-30 has done something positive.
Last edited by Carl; 2014-09-2107:48. Reason: Image Tags fixed.
Shaun
861v8 & ID41, HD621, DSP7200SE Upgrade Fronts, DSP7200HCSE Upgrade, DSP3200's rears, B&W ASW850 (sub), QNAP 871 for Sooloos, Cineultra V203, Dune HD, Apple tv 4k, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Sim2 C3X. LG Oled C9
I am sure you have better things to do, but just in case you don't, you could try a shielded cat 6 cable from the basement to the switch and move the wireless router temporarily out of the way and see if the EN30 has the same impact? Then if you still have time you could come over and decorate my house!
I might get round to changing the cable one day although it currently runs through the house in walls via embedded trunking. It may take less time to decorate your house!
Shaun
861v8 & ID41, HD621, DSP7200SE Upgrade Fronts, DSP7200HCSE Upgrade, DSP3200's rears, B&W ASW850 (sub), QNAP 871 for Sooloos, Cineultra V203, Dune HD, Apple tv 4k, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Sim2 C3X. LG Oled C9
I managed to spend some time this weekend evaluating the GISO. Here are the results from N Yorks.
Before the evaluation I installed a LAN switch for my Meridian system which connects to an Apple Airport Extreme, which in turn connects to a BT HH via a short cable. The Apple Airport provides the wi-fi signal and our PC is directly connected to it by cable. (So hopefully the network infrastructure now complies with the advice given by Ronnie and others.)
I tested the GISO initially with the connection between the switch and the Airport Extreme disconnected (to give the GISO as clean a signal as possible), using a playlist of familiar test tracks.
In summary, I would broadly agree with DaveyC's findings and those of other members who have commented positively on the influence of the GISO. Without attempting to go into great detail, to my brain there was a better focus and clarity to the sound, with a more detailed soundstage and well controlled deep bass etc, etc. But what really stood out was that the music had more life to it - it was more engaging, more enjoyable, more convincing. In contrast, with the GISO removed, the music sounded relatively boring.
I also tested the GISO with the connection between the switch and the Airport Extreme restored. There was no obvious difference that I could hear, just possibly a slight reduction in overall focus and bass control.
The GISO is not exactly cheap, but for me it is a cheap upgrade in the context of Meridian equipment (I went for the GB version for no jusitifiable reason!). It's a keeper.