logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MB #216700 2014-07-14 13:40
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
The OP did mention expansion into surround music and video. He may also want the benfits of room correction.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Cliff. #216705 2014-07-14 15:36
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Just curious. A little early for MRC and the sort of thing you might get when/if you expand. Just curious.

MB #216707 2014-07-14 15:52
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
MRC is never to early I think.
My "failure" in my personal audio history was, not to know or/and underestimate the room acoustic influence.

"Next time" I would start with a layout for best room acoustic and treatment and later on to buy better equipment.

Phil welcome to the forum and congratulation for your equipment.
What about your space and room acoustics/WAF?

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
RobertW #216709 2014-07-14 16:45
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
I'm with TinTin, if I was playing 2 channel music, I would avoid the G65 completely and just go direct to the speakers. Especially given the OP has gone to the expense of SE speakers.

IF Trifield or movie playback becomes a requirement further down the road, then so be it.

Cheers
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 11
PJP
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 11
Hi Again and a big thanks to everyone for your warm welcome.

Whilst my local PP has been amazing it's very reassuring to get the thumbs up from experienced Meridian users. I also appreciate that there is often more than one way to do something and opinions will differ.

There were a few questions asked in the thread so I will do my best to answer them.

Originally Posted by Carl
Did you (will you) set it up yourself?
I will try myself. I don't mind reading manuals or searching for help via the forum and to be honest as this is my hobby - half the fun is getting to grips with the technology, config and settings. My Local PP has been very helpful and has offered whatever assistance I need - from casting his eye over my config file, a quick chat over the phone to getting an experienced engineer on site if that what I need. So we will see but I am hopeful I can manage.

I am planning to pick up the MD600 and the MS200 this week so I can get the Sooloos up and running with my existing Kit. This will give me a few weeks to get some music imported/downloaded and, get to grips with software. I can take my time get the metadata right and get some external back-ups in place well in advance of setting up the main system.

Originally Posted by Tintin
(just curious, why the G65?)
Good question and I can see where you are coming from. There are a number of reasons that I have gone this route :-

� MRC - I have limited options as to where I can site the speakers and Kit this includes alcoves, a listening position that is hard up against a back wall etc etc. I have decided that to get the best out of the kit I am going to need room correction and the G65 seemed a logical way to add this functionality.

� In the future (in a few months) I will have more options maybe even a dedicated listening / movie room at which point I will want to go multi-channel the G65 gives me some options in this respect.

� I have other equipment that I would like to connect the setup so needed something with a good selection of traditional inputs - I could have used the AC200 but this is only a 2-channel solution so would have been made redundant in the future when I move to multi-channel. I really don`t like the idea of buying kit that I have to sell a 18 months later to progress to the next level.

� I am spending ("investing") quite a bit of money on this setup and as you would expect was able to negotiate a much better deal than if I had bought the components individually over time.

Originally Posted by Robert.W
What about your space and room acoustics/WAF?
I think the answer to Tintin's question mostly covers this but here is a little more info � The system will be in one end of an 18 x 12 lounge and the speakers (for now) have to go in an alcove created by the chimney breast on the opposite wall to the listening position at the far end of the lounge. As far as WAF is concerned my experience is that you have to evolve over time to where you want to get too and not try to convince them to accept 3 pairs of 8000's from day 1!

I am very fortunate that my wife is mostly very tolerant of my hobby but if anything happens to me I hope she does not sell my music systems for what I told her I paid for them whistle

Happy Days

Phil


#1 G65, 2x 5200SE, MS600, MD600 (2*2TB RAID 1).
#2 MS200.
PJP #222716 2014-10-21 04:04
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 11
PJP
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 11
Hi all,

Well it's been a few months but at long last I got my system up and running on the 12th September. I have waited for a few weeks so I can give a more considered opinion re sound quality and overall performance.

All I can say is that it was well worth the wait. The sound quality is head and shoulders above anything I have owned previously and sounds better in my lounge than I remember at the auditions. I know it's a bit of a cliche but I am noticing sounds that I have not heard before. I was quite concerned as I thought at one stage I had a crackling tweeter but this turned out to be background noise in the original recording that I just had not noticed before. The sweet spot for the sound stage is quite limited but this I believe is down to the very restricted positing mentioned in my original post. Soolos streaming is a real joy and rock solid when compared to my experiences with other solutions.

If I had one complaint it would be the lack of HDMI support on the g65 which means I need to add another box to get all my bits and pieces connected how I would like in the future. I was aware of this before I decided on the G65 and it did not stop me from buying it and I am glad I did.

I would like to thank Martins HiFi here in Norwich who have given me great support over many years. In respect of my most recent audio adventure into the world af Meridian I had numerous auditions of every combination of products new and pre owned. I changed my mind on two or three occasions and never felt that I was being sold anything other than the most suitable products for my needs ( and my budget !). At one point I was having more conversations with them each day than my wife !

Excellent service highly recommended.

Thank you all for your warm welcome and I look forward to improving my knowledge of Meridian as I trawl through the pages of these forums.

Better start saving for the centre speaker and the HD621 or whatever it's called wink

Happy days
Phil




#1 G65, 2x 5200SE, MS600, MD600 (2*2TB RAID 1).
#2 MS200.
PJP #222723 2014-10-21 13:37
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Well done, I am very pleased you are enjoying your system so much. As for HDMI, Meridian won't have it in processors for audio quality reasons. It introduces too much noise hence the reason to build the HD621 in the first instance.
Well done Martins Hi Fi too, it's good to hear about great service.
Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.044s Queries: 29 (0.021s) Memory: 0.8632 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 04:43:50 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS