My surrounds are currently on loan to my parents as an experiment.
I'm VERY surprised how flat and sterile my system now sounds without the surrounds.
I had no idea how spoiled having surrounds had made me. M's Trifield is a wonder.
For everyone who runs a stereo pair or LCR-only arrangement, I can't recommend strongly enough getting to a dealer, and doing a good long listen to a surround configuration.
You don't notice the rear speakers, but would notice if you turned them off. It's very subtle but effective especialy with the level of equipment I have. A pair off DSP8000's may change everything lol Chris
No 18 in the Hall of fame I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
In our previous home, when running just 3 front DSPs, I normally found myself using Ambisonic most of the time, occasionally Trifield. I found that Direct and Stereo (had a 568 back then) were somehow flat by comparison.
Ambisonic in particular had tremendous space & air to its presentation; not everyone may like that of course but it was my DSP preset of choice.
Cinema: Meridian 271, 3 x DSP640 (behind screen), 4 x DSP320 (in-ceiling), 4 x DSP3100 (surrounds), 2 x AC12 (interface). 2 x Perlisten D12s subs, Lyngdorf MP40 processor. DT 145" 2.35 AT screen. Sony VW870 projector & S-T lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro. Lounge: Roon, NUC, Kef LS50 Wireless + 2 x REL Gibraltar-2 subs
I occasionally switch to Ambisonic as well. I going through a Music Logic phase at the moment
Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
I have a mate who always used Ambisonic on his 561. Mulogic is great with multi layer recordings. Try DSOTM or listen to The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy radio show. Chris
No 18 in the Hall of fame I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
Akimo, can you recommend a dealer in CA that has a full Meridian system with 5.1 DSP speaker setup for audition? Specifically I would like to take some DVD-Audio discs and listen to the surround tracks.