logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208540 2014-03-10 16:43
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hi,

Since I am in the process now of wiring up my media room I have a question.

With normal speaker cable I always had the length's the same for the L, C & R and both the rears were the same length etc. That was what I was told many years ago wether it was wrong or right.

With SpeakerLink (cat5/6) I don't know if the same principle applies.

If anybody can shed some light on this I would be grateful as I will be wiring up the Cat6 cables through the ceiling to all corners of the room in the next few days.

Thanks,
Craig


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
With 'normal' speaker cable, the question of impedence and capacitance (or is it inductance - where is Syles when you need him?) arises with length. They potentially affect how the amplifier and speaker interact.

I suggest that those considerations are not an issue in a balanced digital domain.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Gianni,

I thought that it wouldn't matter if the Cat5/6 cables were different lengths but it's always good to ask the experts as once I wire the room it would be very costly for me to change things.

Thanks



Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.


Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 237 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.039s Queries: 21 (0.017s) Memory: 0.8263 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 22:45:39 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS