logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Only Pin 7? That means I must have a short somewhere. Pin 7 doesn't connect to the 55Ω resistor that fried, just pin 8. Time to check the connections again. smile


Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by CMB Integrations - Bruce
Yes, the MS200 can be powered by SpeakerLink DSP speakers.
Meridian told me this is only to be relied upon with SE speakers. Previous SL speakers need to be tested to see whether they work OK.

The discussion was concerning 5200SL that my parents have. The MS200 was not (reliably) powered by the speakers, and having added the PSU all problems disappeared.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340
Likes: 3
Bee Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340
Likes: 3
I have a pair of M6 powering a MS200 with no problems.


Thanks, Edd
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by JRubins
Only Pin 7? That means I must have a short somewhere. Pin 7 doesn't connect to the 55Ω resistor that fried, just pin 8. Time to check the connections again. smile
No short in the cable. When unconnected the brown and brown/white wires are connected at all. When I connect the plug, the two wires are 4Ω to one another.
The ground is 240Ω from either the brown or brown/white wire. I've checked this on both speakers.

I then thought of checking to see if any other wires were connected to ground. The orange wire is, as expected. When Connected to the SpeakerLink in connection nothing else was. When connected to SpeakerLink Out, however, the green wire is also grounded.

Anyway, if the Brown & Brown/white wires are AES, and they supply phantom power, then they both need to be +12v (relative to ground), because otherwise you'd never get audio signal to flow, it would be swamped by the difference of +/- 12v.

So, it could well be that I've got phantom power and the difference in impedance in my resistor network was enough to pull some current from one leg to ground, frying the resistor. Switching to a transformer should help the situation.

I'm still not sure why the 7 and 8 pin are so low impedance to one another? Maybe that's an effect of powering them both through phantom power?

This is confusing. Time B&B (that's bourbon and bed) laugh

1 member likes this: JorgeQ
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
So, the answer here is don't use a resistor network, use a proper 75/110Ω transformer and this all works just fine.

There's some finagling to get the serial comms working from a PC, but it's not difficult smile

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
The images in the first post of this tread (#178875) don't show up anymore. Instead, there is an image with a grey background saying "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting". Is that only me? Would be great to save those images somewhere, one of the most useful post ever.

Thanks


Jerome
Music: NUC + ROCK + QObuz > MS600 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Movies: Apple TV > HD621 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi,

It’s everybody... PhotoBucket changed their policy and now only allow 3rd party viewing of images hosted on their site for a fee.

I have the drawings and ment to update those posts ... but it slipped my mind.
I’ll dig them out.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
Thanks Carl


Jerome
Music: NUC + ROCK + QObuz > MS600 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Movies: Apple TV > HD621 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
I would have updated this, but you can’t edit posts over a certain age.

All the best,

Steve

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
The Steve's "SpeakerLink to Legacy ..." drawings are now hosted here in the Gallery and I've updated the image tags in the post to point to them.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum, and I urge you to help me.
In my system there is a zone processor Meridian 218, it is connected to the main audio system via an analog output.
I`m use Intel Nuc with ROCK ( with iPad as Roon remote)
I recently purchased DSP 420 speakers, and would like to connect them to a Meridian 218
As I understand it, for this I need an Speakerlink to Legacy DSP cable SL-M5 + SPDIF adapter
https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=177363
Where can I get it?
Replacing the internal board with this would be a better option.
https://www.meridianlegacy.co.uk/product/dsp420-rj45-pcb-su0359/
Dsp420 rj45 pcb su0359
I tried to connect the DSP 420 speakers to the Meridian 218 digital output via SPDIF, however in this case I cannot adjust the output volume ...
Perhaps there are other options for adjusting the volume via iPad ( ROON Remote)?
I will be very grateful for any help in this matter!

Last edited by Runner; 2019-05-17 22:15.
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 866
Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 866
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Springlike
This connection works using the wiring provided by this thread:

AES (out) --> SpeakerLink (in)

I used it to connect my computer to the SL input of a DSP5200SE. There was no clipping. Sound quality was comparable to reasonably good quality SPDIF coax, certainly no worse and possibly better in some ways if you have better ears than me.

I used M2Tech HiFace Evo for asynchronous digital to digital conversion from computer USB. The Evo provides both SPDIF (coax and BNC) and AES digital output. I used an AES --> SL interconnect made by MI' using good quality S/FTP CAT 6a cable.
I want to do exactly the same. Do I understand correctly you used used the wiring from the 1st image of the 1st post and used it the other way around? Or is an image missing from your post? I am a little confused to which wiring diagram you refer.

According to the specs AES/EBU should use and accept voltages between 2 and 7 volts. My source has 5v on the AES. I remember reading Meridian is using a lower voltage on the SpeakerLink?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ADelias), 428 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.060s Queries: 41 (0.036s) Memory: 0.8916 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 20:41:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS