logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Originally Posted by Andreas
... I do not care for pros or cons.
Really? Aren't you the one that posted some images above suggested just how good the pro's are for DSD and how bad the con's look for PCM?

It does read like you are on a mini-crusade here. Not exactly sitting on the fence.

Anyone that technically disagrees does not necessarily have to have vested interests either.

23kHz filter on DSD and lots of HF noise beyond that. Read the last few months of AIX blog on this topic. It is quite interesting.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
The reviews of the DCS Verdi and the Auralic processors in the January and February 2014 Stereophiles make interesting reading. Having heard a DCS stack once, it is clear that Meridian is not the only digital way for SOTA sound. Of couse the proof is in the D2A since none of us actually listen to digital sound; perhaps DCS and Auralic are both really good at D2A and the digital format is incidental?

To listen to DSD content via a Meridian system surely all one needs is an SACD player capable of decoding to PCM or a USB device capable of receiving downloaded DSD (the latest Oppos do all this and more) plus an HD621. Meridian have a solution so the content is not unaccessable, it's just that the decoding to PCM is not done in their hardware - not a problem for me.

If the argument is purely about which approach is 'best', which must surely be accompanied by a decision about available content, than that is a personal investment choice.

That fantasy USB to SPDIF device I've been whittering about elsewhere just gained the capability to decode DSD to PCM smile


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Originally Posted by Gianni
If the argument is purely about which approach is 'best', which must surely be accompanied by a decision about available content, than that is a personal investment choice.
In general we have all made this choice with the contents of our bank accounts.

Until the DSD supply chain is complete from studio to ears for a majority of recordings (IMO unlikely to happen as a standard in my lifetime) this is not a viable financial investment option.

I love what I have today Hector.


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Quote
It does read like you are on a mini-crusade here
Hmmm... I see, I understand what you mean, one can actually think that, if you only read that one quote of my post, but if you re-read all that I wrote about DSD, then I'm sure, yes I am, you will get a different opinion of what I'm after here.

This thread started out with the question, whether DSD is coming back as a download based format. I said, I see some people trying to bring DSD back to life, or even to grow its catalogue (download portals) and hardware base. So, if these people succeed, then yes, there appears to be a great catalogue to come and maybe to own.

I saw the same question on other local forums, people bring back SACD to attention. So due to that overlapping I jumped in. Of course we can all ignore it, we can also ignore others enjoying 5.1 via USB. We can ignore so much, but should we?


Cheers, Andreas
My Meridian history 565/519 (1996), 861 (2000), to G68ADV, to 561 today, tri-axial cardioid studio monitors, self build acoustic measures, ceiling sails, corner bass traps, trial Helmholtz resonator, REW, Apple (TV, Mac, IPAD), SBT, Calman
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 478 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.041s Queries: 24 (0.016s) Memory: 0.8451 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 02:53:21 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS