|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
Is DSD making a return in the High-End as download based highrez format?
Are DAC's are getting upsampling to "DSD", Or does DCS mean DAC native 384KHz?
I listened to the DCS Vivaldi stack yesterday on Boulder and Audio Amat Studio III.
Should we be concerned with DSD files getting released by Sony with other major labels following?
Will Meridian accomodate download based DSD? With better clocks and higher rez DAC's, is there a practical positive to higher x2 (128) DSD sample rates?
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696 Likes: 18
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696 Likes: 18 |
Personally, I'm happy to leave it up to Bob. He seems to know what he's doing.
I'm actually staggered what Meridian can do with standard CD quality audio. I'm less and less interested in paying the premium for HiRez tracks.
Cheers Greg
M owner since '97
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87 |
Have a look at what Waldrep has to say at AIX Records on the topic. Very polarized but probably very valid comments.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885 Likes: 56
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885 Likes: 56 |
I'm actually staggered what Meridian can do with standard CD quality audio. I'm less and less interested in paying the premium for HiRez tracks. Couldn't agree more! It is simply stunning how good a M system make make a CD sound!
Theater: 861v4_LPS, 818v3, HD621, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro, DSP8000SE, DSP5500C, SW1600x2, DSP5500, Epson 6040UB, PS4 Living room: 861v4_LPS, HD621, DSP8000SE, DSP5200C, Oppo 203, Lumagen 2143, 818v3, Sooloos/MC600 Bluesound Node Bedroom: M80 office: G68D, DSP6000 Garage: DSP5000 Storage: M33s, DSP33s, DSP5k, 501, 518, M1500, G98DH, SW1600
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
+1. My experience with the Prime fed by 861v4/LPSU/ID40/OA03 has left me in awe of what RBCD is capable of (given the Meridian TLC touch).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
If this was the Computeraudiphile comment section I would think "everyone" would demand DSD import and playback capability.
I too enjoy RBCD sourced material aswell as 24/192KHz PCM material (although downsampled). Should we not end the downsampling era of Meridian gear???
My DSP8000 leaflet promised a software upgrade to enable 24/192KHz native playback capability.
Are we behind the curve suddenly?
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
I've been talking about this for months.
M sticking to their down sampled 96KHz has got to have a negative effect for them in the marketplace. DSD is where it's at and I would hope M would figure that out soon and update our M gear. I sure would like to have sampling options with my M system, would you?
Those of you commenting above on the current red book performance, we get it. It's real good. But you would be better served to remain silent on this sampling issue rather than jumping up and down that what we have is great and we don't need anything more. That rhetoric just serves to support M not to do anything and IMO that is not good for the future health of M...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615 Likes: 4
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615 Likes: 4 |
This relevant article Ayre's PCM and DSD Comparison with good discussion in the comments. I am curious about DSD as well but I don't sense a consensus favoring DSD over PCM from what I've read so far.
Antipodes CX + Roon, 818v3, DSP 7200SEs, 218, DSP3200s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574 Likes: 6
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574 Likes: 6 |
DSD why? What is it that triggers the "need"? RBCD is widely avaialable and cheap. It outperforms most if not all of the available recordings and with the right gear the playback is phenomenal. Ditto for downloads of several qualities. DSD seems to me like a one way marketing force from Sony, I don't blame them for it as controversy is good for progression. Unless this Meridian White paper is outdated (prove it  ) I still believe that M is at the right track.
Living room: Ansuz Mainz8 C2, Uptone Ethernet Regen, Grimm MU1, Audionote (UK) DAC 5 Special, TT2, M2RIAA, Audionote (UK) OTO Line SE Signature, Fleetwood Deville SQ sold (Q1-2024): 818v3, DSP7200SE Office: MS200, audio engine A2+ Spare: STAX SRM-323II, SR303, MC200 (Roon ROCKāed), Roon: life time subscription
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
Couldn't put it better myself... All marketing. Chris 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Seems very unlikely to me, especially with Pono round the corner.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79 |
Well, with Pono around the corner it seems to me that one likely scenario might be deja vu all over again, i.e., another format war. I have SACDs and DVD-As and now Blu-ray music discs, they all sound great to me. As a consumer I want more NEW HD music, not the old analogue masters brought out the vaults to be converted to DSD or Pono or whatever so I can buy it all over again for $25-$30 USD a pop as a download.
IMO Meridian and Sony are more a part of the problem than they are a part of a consumer friendly solution.
Then again maybe it will not be a problem as long as Oppo or other companies make universal players that play all download formats.
Al
Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
135
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,200
Posts297,160
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|