logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#201710 2013-11-23 01:00
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 43
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 43
Likes: 2
I�ve been a loyal Meridian user for around 15 years. Started with a 541 processor, upgraded after 8 years to a 561, then 6 months ago to a G61RSL. When I purchased the G61RSL I also purchased five Revivers to allow me to continue using my legacy speakers.

Currently my cinema setup is 18 bit based, although the front 5000�s and the sides (DSP33�s) are actually 24 bit versions. I�m looking now to take the next step up and go 24 bit all round. My main interest is home cinema, straight music is of less interest to me.

Question 1
If I switch to 24 bit (but without upgrading to bigger/newer speakers), will there genuinely be an audible sound improvement? Let me rephrase that, more importantly would my wife likely notice a difference as she did when we went from the 541 to 561 processor! (She had been sceptical about that upgrade but gave her blessing afterwards.)

Bizarrely what I�m considering is replacing my 18 bit 5000C with a second-hand 24 bit version and the rear 5000�s with second-hand 5200�s (leaving the front stage with 3 x 5000�s). The reason is that I only a few years ago had myself constructed a front stage where all the speakers were built in to the structure (and to all intents and purposes at 1st glance you don�t know there are speakers there). So I�m stuck with 5000�s, it would not be possible to replace any of these 3 x 5000�s with larger speakers.

The rears 5000�s however are freestanding and consequently look relatively ugly and box like. They are either side of a black lacquered Yamaha upright piano. My thought process is that replacement piano black 5200�s would look visually much better.

Question 2
Do 5200 speakers sound much better than 24 bit 5000�s? � i.e. would it be heresy having more modern 5200�s as rears and very old 5000�s as fronts?

Having only just relatively recently purchased the Revivers to support my older DSP�s, I was thinking that non Speakerlink 5200�s might suffice for this upgrade and I could then continue using the Reviver. However recently there was a recent post that suggested that newer 5200 speakers sounded better than older versions.

Question 3
If that is indeed the case, what should I be looking out for (version wise, serial number wise) when I purchase the second-hand 5200�s e.g. did this improvement come about only with the SpeakerLink version came about?


Rm1: 861v8, 2xDSP7200SE, DSP5200HCSEU, 2xDSP5200, 2xDSP33, MC200, 218, 271, NAD M17, Panasonic DP-UB9000 Blu-ray,
Sony VPL-VW790ES projector
Rm2: 561, 3x DSP5000 (18 bit)
Rm3: 218+Farad PS, 2x SE7200SE
Rm4: 218, 2x DSP5200.2
Spares: G61RSL, 3x DSP5000, 2 x DSP33
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
As a general rule, Meridian improve speakers as they go. They make minor improvements all the time. When there is a major change, they tend to change the serial numbers 100*** to 200*** etc.

5200's are lovely things IMHO, however, it's not to difficult to get 5000s refinished in piano laquer.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Huw Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Just a quick advice, I have been down a similar road though for different reasons. I would be extremely careful with mixing 18 bit and 24 bit speakers. It is a hazardous road and there are inevitable compromises, and inevitably unexpected additional expense to solve.

I finally did not solve it until I switched my entire array to 24 bit, 7k's on the front a 5k smiley face centre and black ash converted 5k's on the rear. I also have a 1600 subwoofer which to be honest with the 7k's is is somewhat superfluous. The controller is a G61R.

My second room set up, is now also 24 bit, prior I had a lot of well known problems. The controller is a G91A.

My third room has my old 18 bit 5ks an centre for music only, they are 16 years old and sound perfect, with a 562 and 565.

Happy to tell you more by PM or telephone.

Regards
Huw


#1 52KSE 218 LG OLED Sony BRay, Sonos Beam 2
#2 52KSE 218 Pana LED Zenith 2 Naim Muso2
#3 Teac X1 CD, G68, 562v3 518 568 556 G98DH 5K,5KHC 24/96,MS600,Systemdek I920, Ortofon M520, Synthèse Floating 2 Thorens TD160 Ortofon M15e Pioneer DAT Panny Plasma,Humax,BRay.
#4 Panasonic 4K LED Sonos Beam 2
#5 F80 MS200 iDock Sonos Move
#6 MS200 5K 24/96
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 43
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 43
Likes: 2
Thanks Huw,

I'm not trying (with the proposed new setup) to mix 18 bit & 24 bit. My current system is indeed already mixed, comprising 2x 18 bit 5000's, 3x 24 bit 5000's and 2x 24 bit DSP33's. When I set up my G61R originally I had implicitly stated that a 96KHz signal was to be output. Consequently I was only able to get sound from the 24 bit speakers. When I looked for info on the forum I found out that you had to configure the output to the lowest common denominator - i.e. 48KHz. That's what I've been running with for 6 months and am happy with the system.

What I'm proposing doing is upgrading the system to replace the 3x 18 bit speakers with 24 bit speakers (and then altering the G61R set-up to declare the fact that all speakers are 24 bit). I'll still make good use of the relegated 18 bit speakers in our lounge, where currently I operate a 561 with 2 x DSP 33's and an 18 bit 5000C. The 561 only permits 18 bit operation overall, but at least there I will gain 'decent' fronts (the 2x 18bit 5000's), switching the DSP33's to become sides.

All in all the only redundant bit of kit will be my 18 bit 5000C.

But I can only justify going down this route (to my other half) if the main cinema system is going to sound better.


Rm1: 861v8, 2xDSP7200SE, DSP5200HCSEU, 2xDSP5200, 2xDSP33, MC200, 218, 271, NAD M17, Panasonic DP-UB9000 Blu-ray,
Sony VPL-VW790ES projector
Rm2: 561, 3x DSP5000 (18 bit)
Rm3: 218+Farad PS, 2x SE7200SE
Rm4: 218, 2x DSP5200.2
Spares: G61RSL, 3x DSP5000, 2 x DSP33
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi Huw,

Mixing 18 bit and 24 bit speakers on a system is fine, provided one realises that the processor's outputs must be limited to 48KHz max.

I ran a mixed DSP system with 24 bit fronts and 18 bit rears for a while, without any issues. Yes it is a compromise in that you don't get the best out of the 24 bit DSPs but as a transitional system there is no reason to avoid.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
In Direct or Stereo mode, you can use high rate out to the R/F's if they are 24/96 and can still use a sub (in any other mode you need std. rate to all the speakers if your mixed).

There is a difference between HS output or not - without 24/96 and using a normal 16/44 signal the sound has more pace and immediacy with more bass slam, a more forward presentation.

With HS = Y (24/96) the bass deepens, the bass slam is less a slighty more recessed and smoother sound. I turn it on or off depending what I'm listening to. The difference is not night and day.

Not sure if the subtlety of this will come thru in cinema or with all channals being used for music and all 24/96 - I only have the experience in plain old vanilla 2 channal not with Trifield etc.

*I* would far rather upgrade my Fronts and centres than rears as I listen to a lot of music .. but your mileage may vary especially if you are HT oriented.


Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room.
Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Huw Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
I agree Carl it can be made to work, but for my various set ups and sources when I started I found several compromises. I only really felt I had fully upgraded when I purchased the required 24/96 speakers.

I had a lot of headaches, to be fair most of which were solved when I joined this Forum. My dealer even with HQ help really struggled. Thankfully now all is stable, though I have not managed to limit what comes through the subwoofer to my satisfaction. Bass Config on the unit or on the G61R, still results in mid range coming through where it's not wanted.

Result is I only listen to music now in stereo. Anything else is a muddle (caused by excessive bass). As my prior post the 7ks have quite some bass anyhow.

Regards
Huw


#1 52KSE 218 LG OLED Sony BRay, Sonos Beam 2
#2 52KSE 218 Pana LED Zenith 2 Naim Muso2
#3 Teac X1 CD, G68, 562v3 518 568 556 G98DH 5K,5KHC 24/96,MS600,Systemdek I920, Ortofon M520, Synthèse Floating 2 Thorens TD160 Ortofon M15e Pioneer DAT Panny Plasma,Humax,BRay.
#4 Panasonic 4K LED Sonos Beam 2
#5 F80 MS200 iDock Sonos Move
#6 MS200 5K 24/96
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Huw - what about some aftermarket bass control or room correction?


Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room.
Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Huw Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Not sure what you mean by this aftermarket bass control etc
Regards Huw


#1 52KSE 218 LG OLED Sony BRay, Sonos Beam 2
#2 52KSE 218 Pana LED Zenith 2 Naim Muso2
#3 Teac X1 CD, G68, 562v3 518 568 556 G98DH 5K,5KHC 24/96,MS600,Systemdek I920, Ortofon M520, Synthèse Floating 2 Thorens TD160 Ortofon M15e Pioneer DAT Panny Plasma,Humax,BRay.
#4 Panasonic 4K LED Sonos Beam 2
#5 F80 MS200 iDock Sonos Move
#6 MS200 5K 24/96
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Antimode (google)?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
Only about 30 mentions of it on HH in the last few months wink


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
What about MRC? I would use that if your processor has it , or get a processor that does have it..

Depending how your sub is set up , you could also use a Velodyne SmS-1 or use any number of Digital/analog parametrics to shape the bass.
I used a Z-sys RDP-1 for many years on my meridians for eq in the digital domain , a cheap option is the Behringer DEQ 24/96 (which I have also used - nice remote control via Midi)

Trinnov also make a great , but expensive system (never tried it , its 8000 quid) , as do Lyngdorf (room perfect) I have used the room perfect and the TACT before that.

The Dspeaker is just the latest device I have used and its good value for money and works well , only bugbear is Toslink only digital I/O but my 568.2 takes care of that

Last edited by Rodney Gold; 2013-11-24 13:26.

Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room.
Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Maz), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,198
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.117s Queries: 39 (0.044s) Memory: 0.8828 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:29:16 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS