logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
so you are representing the "new marketing"

Last edited by Albert; 2013-08-07 18:18.

HT: Audiocom LX800CE, MP-60,HOLO MAY*2 Analogue speaker(LRC), DSP5200SL (side), DSP7200SE (rear),AntimodeX4,JTR Cap4000ULF*2,Christie HD8C,GIK Bass Traps.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
it's late for me, I'm a little tired

Does that have the same meaning in the US as it does in the UK?

As others have said, the Explorer has a digital output, the Director has a digital input.

I see the Explorer as being designed to get computer music into a Meridian system, the Director to get computer music into an analogue system, whilst giving enhanced CD replay as well.


Mark
G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs
Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 412
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 412
I hope they have the same meaning. We just have a time difference, that's all... It was 2am for me when I first read and posted info on the Director. I usually aren't at my best at 2am.

Actually, I have the Explorer as we speak and I use it to go from my computer to a pair of powered speakers with analog input, so I use the 1/8in stereo jack which is both Toslink AND analog out, while the other is just for headphones. I just obviously want the apodising filter, up sampling.

The Explorer is more marketed for the Headphone crowd, but it can drive a pair of powered speakers with analogue inputs, and it has Toslink to go to a stereo input (I guess is what it's for).

Last edited by Carl; 2013-08-08 03:16. Reason: Redundent Quotation Removed

565, 562V, 518, DSP5500, DSP5000C, Misc analog for rear channels, Talon 12 in sub
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
The Explorer was launched with the 'promise' that a "future" firmware update would disable digital output and use the processing power to introduce apodizing and upsampling on the analogue output.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 329
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 329
Likes: 4
How would the Director optical combined with a media player compare to MC200 or G08.2?


G65, UHD722, MS600, MS200, RoonLabs, F80, Marantz SR7015, DALI Opticon MK II 11.2
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi,

It's bit premature to be asking, as a doubt that anyone on here has one yet.

I suspect it would do quite well, but we will have to wait and see.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
In my review I compared my G08 with its internal DAC to my G08 as a transport into the digital input of the Director. The G08/Director combo won. In a word: apodizing. Although I didn't try it, I would run my MacMini to the Director via USB rather than optical for two reasons: 1) the USB connection is asynchronous so it is less jitter prone, and 2) the optical input in the Director tops out at 96/24. I don't have an MC200 so I can't help you there.


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 329
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 329
Likes: 4
Hi Frank,

That is the reason I asked it actually, is the director adding apodisising to media player or maybe Apple TV. So when you use a G08 and add the director it becomes a G08.2.

So this makes my Dune + Director = Dune.2 wink

Can the USB out from an Apple TV be used or only optical out?


G65, UHD722, MS600, MS200, RoonLabs, F80, Marantz SR7015, DALI Opticon MK II 11.2
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
You would use optical out of the Apple TV (or even the Airport Express) to the Director. I think the micro USB port on the Apple TV is for support and service only.


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Still no one of HH has one? I have ordered it and it should arrive soon. I'm thrilled.


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 412
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 412
I have one on order, I should receive mine early next week. Can't wait.

I haven't used anything yet with the apodising filter, but I'm wondering what audio file formats other than standard uncompressed files work the best with this technology.

Has anyone gone through the variety of file formats to list what formats work best or worst in conjunction with the Director?


Thanks.


565, 562V, 518, DSP5500, DSP5000C, Misc analog for rear channels, Talon 12 in sub
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
I just received it but I won't get my ear with them until after I got back from office.

I got it from Rick @audioImages and he is first class!

I will probably get home early today Hehe.


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 487 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.050s Queries: 40 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8848 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 22:32:48 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS