logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
I went to listen to some music tonight and was surprised to find that it all sounded mono. It seems the music is coming through all the speakers equally so it sounds like it is coming through the center speaker. Even the surrounds seem to be louder than they should. I recently upgraded to v8 and have been enjoying it with no problems until tonight. I have powered everything on and off, rebooted the PC but all to no avail. Tried several different uPnP renderers...same result.

The music is played via a PC connected via USB direct to the 861. I haven't listened to music for about a week (been watching movies and TV... which go through an HD621) but nothing has been touched or changed. Any ideas on what happened and how to remedy?

Thanks,
John


861v8, HD621, 7.1 analog speakers.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Which preset shows on the display on the 861?
Does the sound change when you select another preset?

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi,

Best to check if the DSP preset is correct and also double check your PC's setup. If that yields nothing then consider re-typing and then re-loading the 861's configuration.

If that fails, then re-load the 861's firmware (v8.0) and the retype and load configuration again.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Doesn't all speakers on equally = Party Mode?

However, I've no idea how this could have been set "on".


Malcolm
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Party mode is only available on the MONO preset.

I have Party Mode enabled on my system setup, works well for parties where you just want to flood a room with sound with an even SPL distribution.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Well I've re-typed the unit and reloaded my config. No good. Sound still coming equally from all speakers. I tried other DSPs and get the same. Seems to be OK via HD621.

Have I somehow fried my unit (or at least the USB card?) I've double checked to ensure I have the latest USB driver. I'm getting a little worried!

Thanks,
John


861v8, HD621, 7.1 analog speakers.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Add a Digital Coax or Toslink source to your config. Does it still happen? If not, then its definitely the USB input. You could try another PC or the Analogue outputs from your current one.

M


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Robert.W
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 6
Once again

Which preset shows on the display on the 861?
Does the sound change when you select another preset?

Robert


800v3/218/271/8k.2/5k5s smile /5kC/DSP3200/Reviver/
TT-ELP/Graham Slee Revelation/Trinnov Altitude 32/OPPO 205
__Ayon/HB/Shunyata/Miltzow -- power cables,
__Ayon/Jungson/Miltzow --analog, Miltzow-- digital,
__Vortex/WMA ,
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
The display says PC Music 72. I have also tried PC Trifield to no effect. I have reattached my old USB to digital converter and plugged it in to a new PC2 source and have the same issue! It plugs in to a different card than the direct Meridian USB connection.

So this points to the PC? It doesn't appear to be a USB port issue and the PC and PC2 are plugged into different ports. It's wierd as nothing has changed on that PC.

Thanks,
John


861v8, HD621, 7.1 analog speakers.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
I don't think it does point to the PC. What happens when you play a 2 channel audio track via a HD621 connected source?

Please note what DSP preset is selected.

Regards,
Carl

PS if you what a second pair of eyes to check your .msl file email it over to me.


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
OK I have hooked up an old soundcard that was in the pc so I am going digital coax from pc to 861 and USB isn't involved at all. Same issue. And as I said before this new connection is to a different card than the USB connection. I am trying to contact my dealer and see if I can get the firmware to try and reinstall that. I played a CD through my Bluray player that goes through the HD621 and same issue. Something to do with stereo?
John

Last edited by Demoleon; 2013-05-08 23:35.

861v8, HD621, 7.1 analog speakers.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Hi John,

Can you run calibration and step through the speakers in turn to check the test tone is coming from each speaker correctly?

You find calibration button under the flap, press it while in standby to activate, and step through the speakers with the cursor keys under the flap.
No need to go all the way through the calibration process, just turn it off once you've checked all speakers give a tone when it says they should on the display.

Rick


Audio Images, 284 Glossop Road, Sheffield, England. Tel: 0114 273 7893
Website: www.audio-images.co.uk Email: Click here to email Rick
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (swpnt, Mr_Sukebe, Rick7), 408 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.048s Queries: 40 (0.023s) Memory: 0.8894 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 16:53:34 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS