|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1 |
The 105 has been the subject of the usual level of online hyperbole, to the point that I couldn't resist getting a home dem on one last night.
Clearly, the 105 is very well specced and as it can not only be a BD player, but also: - Play FLAC files from a USB HDD, it could replace a Squeezebox - Includes digital inputs, so is a kind of DAC - Includes variable outputs, meaning that it can act as a pre-amp (within that, it has balanced stereo for the fronts, RCAs for the rest) So in theory, if it was upto scratch, it could replace a streamer, BD player and AV processor. In my case, I have a cheap Pioneer BD player, Squeezebox, 568.2mm and HD621. Given that I could probably sell that lot for twice the price of a new 105, had to be worth a try.
The test I ran was purely with music. For me that's always been more important that AV capabilities. If my system can do great music, and "ok" AV, I'm happy. So in a direct comparison, with the 105 acting as source, thus: 1. Oppo via analogue balanced outputs directly to my power amp 2. Oppo via HDMI into the HD621/568.2mm, then onto my power amp The result was actually really straight forward. The 105 was fine, nothing wrong with it at all. However, the HD621/568.2mm got substantially closer to the music and simply sounded a lot more realistic. I'm still struggling to think of appropriate terminology to describe the difference. The most obvious that comes to mind is that the 105 was looking at the same onion, but the Meridian kit had peeled 2-3 more layers off it on the way to viewing the core.
One thing that most certainly did confused me though was the comparison between the Oppo 105 as a source and my laptop (running foobar2000/wasapi), both using HDMI. The Oppo 105 had substantially more depth and bass weight. I couldn't understand how there could be THAT much difference, bearing in mind that in theory both were bit-perfect signals.
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
There is so much more to digital audio than "bit perfect audio". It's good your finding that out from real world experience. Thoughts, Chris 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1 |
Chris, I've learned only too well to take ALL audio comments with a pinch of salt. Hence the home dem. If it sounds good in my system, then I'm happy to fork up the cash. The reality is that there's a lot of stuff out there that simply gets nowhere near it's hype.
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 366
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 366 |
Went many times north, south, east, west... still surprises me every time I re-plug the 568 and listen. After discovering how he manages with two (stereo) subs, more so, btw. Very good stuff! Regards Josep
Basement: Linn Sneaky DS, 568.2mm, ARS Sonum Gran Filarmonia, Ramallo Allegro. Living Room: 602, Linn Akurate DSM, Hypex Nc400, B&W 802D.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1 |
More confusion reigns... My day to day laptop died last Thurs, so I took home a "loan" laptop from work on Friday. Both are Dells, but the loan unit is a bigger/heavier piece of kit. Both use the same PSU.
Rather bizarely, it sounds worse than the other Dell laptop when connected by HDMI into my HD621. I have absolutely no idea why that would be...
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
Are you using the laptops to play CDs? I have found that there are major differences between laptops when loading MDMS in terms of their ability to read discs. This is showing in ratios of up to 5:1 for load time. This may manifest itself in differntial sound quality.
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318 Likes: 1 |
Nope, both laptops were reading from the same (not at the same time clearly) external USB HDD. The HDD contains several hundred albums in FLAC format. Both laptops had the latest version of Foobar2000 installed, each addressing the WASAPI "component". So in theory, there should have been no difference, yet there was.
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 136
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 136 |
Believe it or not but I have experienced that motherboards can also sound different from each other...
btw: Foobar is the leanest sounding app that I know of, which might explain to an extent why the Oppo sounded fuller.
Rowland Model6/BPS6, Rowland Coherence II, Levinson 390S and 37, AudioAanZee Reference Flow music server, Rowland Aeris DAC, Rowland Cadence phono stage, Pass Labs Xono phono stage, Yamaha PX-2 and Thorens TD 160MKII, Transparent Ultra and Reference cables, Apogee Diva magnetostatics (refurbished).
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
128
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,170
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|