|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
I would personaly love the ability to upgrade the MS600 to leverage the ID41 sound card... for those of us who already have a great pre-amp and don't need a CD player!
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
I'd also love to get the best Meridian has to offer in terms of analogue output sound quality without having to buy a component with a built in cd player or pre-amp, neither of which I need for my system (e.g. ID41 sound card in the MS600). I'm not sure that I understand. As I see it the ID41 is a digital only card, it's the 861, 808 or 818 that provides the analogue capability. The MS600 does output line level analogue with both balanced and unbalanced connections. Is there something wrong with the analogue outs of the MS600?
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
If I recall correctly, the MS600 and ID40 run the same software, so presumably their digital sides are very close.
Therefore the advances in jitter reduction on the ID41 might well bring something to the MS600, no?
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Hi Kerry,
As I'm sure you know, it is not just the ID41 card that makes the difference in audio quality it's the whole build of the unit. LPSU, Master Clocks, input and output drivers, etc. It is the combination of all these factors that lifts the performance of 818v2.
I guess what you want is a MS600v2, which could lift the bar. However, I doubt Meridian would ever build a unit that outperforms their flagship 800 series.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Yes, that's the dream. Having an MS600v2 that has top of the line Meridian analogue output capabilities but without the pre-amp in the 818. Or maybe it's a version of the 818 without the preamp (with associated cost savings).
The lack of that product in the Meridian line up right now is preventing me from upgrading and spending more money with Meridian. Not sure if I represent a segment of the market that is big enough for Meridian to bother with this type of product but it is on my "wish list".
I should note the analogue output from the MS600 is very good. It's just that there is no upgrade path for me to improve the sound going into my (non Meridian) pre-amp without me having to buy a product that comes with features I do not need (CD player in 808 or pre amp in 818).
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
Well your upgrade path could be an 818v1 of the reference series. That would still outperform the MS600. It could probably be had for similar amount of money of a model inbetween MS600 and 818v2 like you are asking for...
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
What version is the 818 on now?
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
818v2, see Meridian's or Duncan's site for details.
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Well your upgrade path could be an 818v1 of the reference series. That would still outperform the MS600. It could probably be had for similar amount of money of a model inbetween MS600 and 818v2 like you are asking for... So the 818v1 did not have a built in pre-amplifier? I've looked online and that doesn't seem to be the case. My point is that I'd love Meridian to make their best endpoint technology available for MDMS owners who don't need a pre-amp or CD player. Right now it's like needing to buy a package that includes a bunch of stuff you don't need in order to get that premium stereo in a new car. I appreciate that you're trying to give me suggestions on how to improve the sound I'm getting with the Meridian equipment that exists now, though. Thanks for that!
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
So the 818v1 did not have a built in pre-amplifier? I've looked online and that doesn't seem to be the case. Hi, Crion did not say that, he was merely suggesting a plausible option with a lower cost than the 818v2 for you (it's not compulsory to use the inputs on the 818). You've made your point well and members on here have suggested options on how you could improve the AQ with Meridian equipment that actual exists today. Time to let it go now Kerry. Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 136
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 136 |
Hi Kerry,
Indeed, the 818v1 also has a preamp section, just like the v2. But I never used it. As a generic DAC and Sooloos endzone it is also well worth its price.
Have you seen my review? I think the 818 makes for the best digital playback short of the Rowland Aeris.
Kind regards, CP
Rowland Model6/BPS6, Rowland Coherence II, Levinson 390S and 37, AudioAanZee Reference Flow music server, Rowland Aeris DAC, Rowland Cadence phono stage, Pass Labs Xono phono stage, Yamaha PX-2 and Thorens TD 160MKII, Transparent Ultra and Reference cables, Apogee Diva magnetostatics (refurbished).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
Hi CP, did you get your 818 upgraded or were you comparing the v1?
Personally I found the v2 upgrade gave a significant increase in SQ (presumably due to the new oscillator).
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
320
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,176
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|