logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 23
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 23
If I use the USB input on the g68 from a computer source is it providing the same functionallity as an Explorer? (re-clocking, sample rate, etc...)

Last edited by VirusKiller; 2013-02-27 22:14. Reason: Corrected title spelling for search purposes

Halej

#1 G68XXV, Bryston 14B SSt Pro, B&K 200.3, Classe'70, Canton Vento 809, 805, 802, Oppo93, Shiit Bifrost D/A, Mac Mini, Explorer, Behringer 2496, Onix Rocket UFW-10 Subs, PS3
#2 568.2MM, 562 V2, 598, (Extra stuff)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Hi Halej, do a Google Search (top left link) for "USB asynchronous G68". It seems like the G68's audio USB input may not be asynchronous. Whether or not this is true and whether or not the audio data are routed via the de-jittering circuits, I don't know.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 23
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 23
Thanks Virus Killer! - will do a little more research


Halej

#1 G68XXV, Bryston 14B SSt Pro, B&K 200.3, Classe'70, Canton Vento 809, 805, 802, Oppo93, Shiit Bifrost D/A, Mac Mini, Explorer, Behringer 2496, Onix Rocket UFW-10 Subs, PS3
#2 568.2MM, 562 V2, 598, (Extra stuff)
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
I suspect the USB chip may not even take 24/96.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
No, IIRC, it doesn't.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
I suspect the new USB input boards on the 8xx units is similar to Explorer capability.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
I'm 99% sure (from postings by people very much in the know) that the 818 was the first M processor with an asynchronous USB input.

Therefore the only devices with asynchronous inputs are:

818v1
818v2
861v8
808v5

There are currently no versions of G-series processors with asynchronous USB inputs.

EDIT: I realise I forgot the AC200 which does have USB. I'm not sure whether its Asynchronous but I suspect so. Perhaps someone else knows?

Originally Posted by ncpl
I suspect the new USB input boards on the 8xx units is similar to Explorer capability.
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?

If you mean that the USB input on the above listed reference products goes through SPDIF, then I very much hope you're wrong. That setup was used for example by Audio Research in the DAC7 and they were severely criticised for it in some reviews.

I suspect though that the USB inputs go straight to the bus (similarly to an ID40 which also doesn't go through SPDIF). Therefore I would expect them to be better than plugging an explorer into an SPDIF input on the same processor.

Last edited by Ludwig; 2013-03-02 01:19. Reason: AC200

Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
I expect it is straight in. The 818v2 accepts 24/192, sounding very good indeed.

The 818 is doing the same job as the Explorer acting as external sound card.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 25
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 25
As far as I can recall (and find via Google), the Audio Research DAC7 did not have synchronous USB input, so wouldn't have had the same effect/benefit of, for example, using an Explorer to convert to SPDIF to pass into an older Meridian processor (one without USB input or without async USB input).

I'm still waiting for my Explorer to arrive in the post, but am expecting to see some benefit when piping a digital signal from a mac mini into my processor via it rather than using the Mac's optical out, but we'll see... smile In any case, I intend to mostly use the Explorer as a headphone output from a laptop, but may just need to buy another one if it works well as an async USB input into the processor.

Michael.


1: DSP5200SL, Reviver, 598DP, 568.2MM, 504, SqueezeLite/RaspberryPi2 via Explorer, Furutech FP-SWS-D and power cables
2: Argent 2, M1500, 506.24, 501, SqueezeBox 3, Electrocompaniet AW-120DMB, Nordost and VdH cables
Streaming: Mac Mini server with Logitech Media Server to SqueezeBox 3 (4 systems 16/44) or SqueezeLite (for 24/96)

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (swpnt, TSCA, OldDogCan), 232 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,166
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.044s Queries: 33 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8641 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 14:51:04 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS