logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Hi all - Just wondering if anybody with non-DSP speakers have tried both balance and unbalance outputs and what has been the findings?

I assume balance is better, but what is the consensus here?


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
As I have a G68XXV (all balanced out) I can only comment on the 568/1 I had years ago. I tried this on both unbalanced and balanced (front 3 only) into my ATCs. It sounds much the same (after allowing for the level differences) but the residual hum on the unbalanced outputs was totally removed by going to balanced.

The main advantage is in this noise floor area.


Malcolm
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Plasmatico,

I have non-DSP speakers (Kef) and I tried both balanced and unbalanced outputs when I first got my MS600. As mentioned above, there was less noise with the balanced outputs and that's what I chose.

That's not to say that there was excessive noise with the unbalanced output, so if you're able to compare both on your system then do so, but I realise it's not always easy if you have to get cables made up specially for example. (I assume your amplifier(s) will take a balanced input.)

I think there is a potential argument that the unbalanced has a slightly nicer sound, but I've been very pleased with my MS600 using the balanced out and do not sit listening wondering whether the sound quality would be any better with the unbalanced outputs - I think it sounds great!

Ian


C10, TwinStore(RM), MC600, MS600, MS200, Explorer
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 130
Likes: 3
I have a fully balanced setup all the way through the amp. I connected both the balanced and unbalanced outputs of the MS600 to the preamp and switched back and forth. My conclusion ... The balanced is louder. smile

I'm using 3ft interconnects for both. I now have the unbalanced going to my headphone amp, which if there was any noise, would be easier to detect. As others have said, either way, the MS600 just sounds great.


QNAP, MS600, MS200, Anthem AVM 50v, B&W 804S, JL Fathom 113 (2)
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Wow. I'm surprised by the comments. I thought it was going to be balanced all the way. I have to buy about 15-20ft of cables as the audio rack would be on the side wall. So I want to make sure I buy the best, once.

Also, anybody bypassing the preamp and controlling the volume from the MS600? Thoughts?


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Plasmatico
Also, anybody bypassing the preamp and controlling the volume from the MS600? Thoughts?
Yes I am using the variable out and no pre. It sounds good but I have had some problems with this. I have an earlier post Using the variable output on the MS600 on this but to summarise, it partly depends on the gain of your power amp. Essentially if you try to push the volume past 87 on the iPad the sound starts to distort badly. Not something you expect from a luxury product. I was very unimpressed. If you stay below this you are ok. I found that an audio research ref 110 needed to be turned past 87 in my room but a Krell fpb-400cx I never get past about 75. So it's fine with the Krell but not the Arc.

In the end I am looking for a pre. Which so far as I can tell is what M intended (in which case why allow us to do it?).


Meridian MD600, MS200 and MS600, Denon 4308, Audio Research Ref 110, Krell FPB-400cx, Focal Electra 1007Be and 1000Be, Whise 319a
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Plasmatico,

I think for your interconnect lengths of 15-20ft you should definitely use balanced to minimise noise.

As CharlieU said - the balanced outputs are louder. I think that's typically an expected feature of balanced outputs (not sure if my terminology will be correct here, but I think there's a higher gain or signal strength, hence louder).

I don't have a pre-amp in my setup, MS600 connects straight into the power amplifier. The volume control is very good (whereas it was certainly not very good when I tried the same thing from an Ensemble a year or two back before I had the MS600!).

Commenting on Dr Nick's post above, I don't think I ever listen to anything much above a volume setting on the MS600 of 70, so haven't experimented on pushing past the point of distortion. I guess this is all dependent on the relative gain in the whole system and the sensitivity of amplifiers and speakers, and how well they're all matched. I find 70 more than enough in my system to be able to hear it a few doors away down the street...!

Ian


C10, TwinStore(RM), MC600, MS600, MS200, Explorer
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
87 is full scale aka 0dB, any record that approaches full scale on a regular basis (most modern pop/rock unfortunately) will digitally clip and sound atrocious pushed past 87.


Mark
G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs
Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Richard W), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.121s Queries: 31 (0.087s) Memory: 0.8584 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 09:10:08 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS