|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
My 818 became upgraded yesterday (thanks Rick). With the usual qualifiers (I have 55 year old ears (I don�t wear ear protectors when chain-sawing, early AC/DC, Hawkwind concerts) and I�m suggestible) first impressions-
The sound is more focused and the image much sharper (and soundstage deeper). Like when you get a new pair of glasses with a stronger prescription, you didn�t know your sight was out but now everything�s clearer. I listened to a favourite piece (off Chants D�Auvergne- Kiri TK) and there�s a subtle piano accompaniment which stood out for the first time. It was always there but somehow I�ve not �heard� it before. Very nice!
There�s a sense of smoothness to the sound. Everything is tight but natural. Clearer.
I�m currently feeling very positive indeed about the upgrade (but M, please hold off on the 8k tweeter upgrade, I�m broke now).
(The upgrade comes with a new 5 year warranty, as of the upgrade (requires registering), nice touch�)
Last edited by Tintin; 2013-01-31 13:06.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
I can't wait for someone who uses the 818 as a preamp or digital out [to 3rd party DAC], with Sooloos as the source to report on the upgrade.
My 818v1 with the latest firmware update sounds unbelievable via digital out [to 3rd party DAC]...
Last edited by Carl; 2013-02-02 03:58. Reason: Clarification Added
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268 |
A great and informative review mixed with good humour.
Thanks Tintin.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1 |
I have 55 year old ears (I don�t wear ear protectors when chain-sawing, early AC/DC, Hawkwind concerts) and I�m suggestible) Let's see, old, deaf and gullible ...  oh dear, I think I'm all of those things too ... Guess I'm going to like the 861v8 then.
My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2 |
Pretty much +1. I've just loaded the firmware and hear much the same. In first few seconds of listening, I wrote "higher, lighter, smoother, softer." With a bit more listening time, it seems very subtle, with more detail and sharper bass. A very nice change, and that's with hardware still to come.
Last edited by JimK; 2013-01-31 21:59. Reason: unclear wording changed
Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
I tried the new firmware first without hardware but didn't notice much change.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
I can't wait for someone who uses the 818 as a preamp or digital out, with Sooloos as the source to report on the upgrade. My 818v1 with the latest firmware update sounds unbelievable via digital out... Umm isn't that what we just read? Tintin runs all digital.. and Sooloos. No analog in sight. If you run 818 via AES/EBU adapter via SpeakerLink out you should achieve very similar performance results.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997 Hitchhiker
|
|
G997 Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376 |
No analogue, thats why I said as a preamp and to be clearer on the digital side I mean SPDIF out into a DAC, not using M speakers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 278
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 278 |
I upgraded my 818v1 to v2 and thought I would add my impressions. I use a MC200 to the ID41 card of my 818. From there I use SpeakerLink to my 861v8 so I can listen to Trifield in 7.1, which is how I listen to all music.
The upgrade is two cards, the OE34 and an ID29. If you do not use the ID29 then the upgrade is sonically the OE34 and new firmware. I found the reduced jitter from the OE34 to enhance transparency in the soundstage and reveal additional details in the recording due to a perceived reduction in noise. Although worthwhile, I felt this upgrade to be on the smaller side of differences. I imagine this has something to do with transporting the signal via SpeakerLink to the 861.
Despite the upgrade to v2 status for my 818 being a smaller difference sonically, I would like to add that the sound from the 818v2 through the 861v8 is utterly magnificent. It is a real testimony to Meridian and Bob Stuart that they keep improving the sound to the degree they are. I thought the sound from the 818v1 through the 861v6 was superb and it is. But the new sound is instantly recognizable as superior. Even more transparent, detailed and dynamically convincing than it was. Not just with high res files either. Everything you play is more musical. Wow.
mw
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
117
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|