|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79 |
Just curious if anyone is using an M processor in a 3.0 or 3.1 setup? I have been looking at used M processors and was thinking that with limited budget it might be doable with an additional amp, center channel speaker, and possible sub. My room is 12 ft by 18 ft so not large.
I guess the key question is whether this would be enough of an improvement over the simple stereo solution I have now.
Al
Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
Al, it's a stepping stone, you could use Trifield just without the rears. They can be added in later. Perhaps some pre loved actives. I have M30 mk'2 s which were cheap (as they are old) and work very well as rears. Perhaps an M33C for the centre? You just have to keep an eye open for a bargain. Good luck, Chris. 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001 Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001 Likes: 10 |
If going to 3 channel then you would really want to add a Confidence centre, and they are not cheap. and then another monoblock, so starting to get really pricey.
Trying to cut corners will probably leave you feeling disappointed.
If you fancy going down the Meridian path have you considered going DSP speaker wise? Don't get me wrong I like the speakers you are using and the amps, but the M sound is very different and I would take it over the Dynaudio Bryston combo every time.
No Darling, I've had it months!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
You don't say what use you'd be putting it to. If movies, then a centre is essential. I had 3.0 then 3.1 for a time, then went back to 2.0 and it was very disappointing and not very effective.
Now I'm back with 3.1 (5.1 when I install my rears) I'm a lot happier watching films.
Trifield for music is a little more a matter of taste, but I use it all the time.
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79 |
I would estimate about 70% music 30% movies. I have some blu-ray concerts that sound great in stereo, but can't help wondering how good the HD multichannel tracks would sound with a center. Also have about 25 DVD-Audio discs and 25 SACDs. I am also thinking of getting an Oppo or some other universal player.
Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79 |
I agree that a good center channel speaker is a must. The Confidence center is very expensive, but I did talk to a Dynaudio rep and he said the Contour SCX would be an excellent match to the Confidence 5s.
Which DSP speakers do you recommend? I have listened to the DSP5200s hooked directly to an 808.3. Sounded great, but to my ears frankly not appreciably better than the Dynaudios. Even in the used market 5200s would not be cheap.
Thanks,
Al
Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 945 |
You could probably pickup a Dynaudio BM6A fairly cheaply for use as a centre. No need for an amplifier then.
Mark G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
|
|
|
|
1 members (Greg Wright),
272
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,170
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|