|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
That's what I understood, switching power supplies can produce EMI and that could permeate the system reducing performance?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
RFI / EMI is only an issue at the final Audio Endpoint, where high levels of RFI from a Network or Spinning Hard Drive COULD Potentially corrupt the Clock
This could then result in Higher Levels of Jitter on the SPDIF Output of that Endpoint, thereby impacting on Audio Performance
RFI Levels in the Sooloos Store is not an Issue that impacts in any way on the Audio Performance of the Endpoint
So, in the same way as different NAS's or PC's have Zero Impact on the performance of a Sonos or Squeezebox Touch...........then the Sooloos Store (and its possible RFI Levels) will have Zero Impact on the Audio Performance of a Sooloos Endpoint
P.S. the levels of RFI caused by moving Mb/s of Data at very high speeds around a Network are orders of Magnitude higher than potential RFI levels resulting from different Power Supplies
Last edited by Ronnie; 2012-08-27 11:38.
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 87
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 87 |
Thanks to all those who responded to my inquiry.
I currently use the analog RCA outputs of the MC200 into my integrated amp.
My goal is to "improve" the overall audio quality of the MC200's analog output.
Further down the road I'll likely add an outboard DAC to my system.
FWIW the MC200 is the sole Meridian component in my system.
Thanks kindly.
MC200, Aqua La Scala DAC, Conrad Johnson CT5 pre/LP70S amp, Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers. Shunyata Hydra power conditioner, Asst. Shunyata, Nordost, & Siltech cables.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30 |
...I currently use the analog RCA outputs of the MC200 into my integrated amp... In that case I would think it is well worth the experiment to replace the standard switch mode power supply. Good luck and please keep us in the loop 
Source: Meridian MC200->MS600->PS Audio DS DAC Linn Sondek LP12 Radikal Kore/Kuzma Stogi S/Soundsmith 'The Voice' Phono: PS Audio GCPH Pre: Wyred4Sound STP SE Power: Krell FPB200 Speakers: Thiel CS2.7
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 130 Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 130 Likes: 3 |
I currently use the analog RCA outputs of the MC200 into my integrated amp. My goal is to "improve" the overall audio quality of the MC200's analog output. Further down the road I'll likely add an outboard DAC to my system. I'm taking a different path. I'm currently running the analog outs from the MC200 to a Schiit headphone amp. SPDIF runs to my Anthem preamp. Instead of trying to improve the MC200, I've decided to throw my money at a MS600 and let the MC200 just push bits over the network. I'll know in a week or so if I made the right decision.
QNAP, MS600, MS200, Anthem AVM 50v, B&W 804S, JL Fathom 113 (2)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
CharlieU, there is no question about MS600 being vastly improved over the MC200 both digital and analog out.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 713
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 713 |
Lounge: 861v4+ID40 (hardwired Cat 6), HD621, 2xDSP6000.2VC (l/r), DSP5500.2HC, 2*Jamo ARTina (rears), D2500, 556, 596P, PS3, Humax HDR-1000S Bed 2: MD600 (hardwired Cat 6) , QNAP 453 Pro
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
Alright pulled the trigger on the Teddy12V/4A Linear PSU. I want to see for myself once and for all if there is any improvement by powering an audio server that sends out a decoded PCM stream in UDP packets with a linear powersupply. I will also for the sake of it, dig up a few old linear PSU's for the switches/routers connected in between the MC200 and the ID40.
Description Unit price Qty Amount Teddy12V/4A Power Supply Item# 1126 $399.00 USD 1 $399.00 USD Subtotal $399.00 USD Shipping and handling $21.00 USD Total $420.00 USD
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 130 Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 130 Likes: 3 |
CharlieU, there is no question about MS600 being vastly improved over the MC200 both digital and analog out. That's the common opinion and the reason I decided to pursue that option to improve the sound of my Sooloos system. The MC200 is pretty darn good on it's own, but it's a multipurpose unit. I don't see mods like power supplies making a noticeable difference to the sound. A different DAC, maybe. A dedicated endpoint strikes me as a better option than spending time and money tinkering. No disrespect meant towards those who do it as I'm guilty of tinkering with computers and networks.
QNAP, MS600, MS200, Anthem AVM 50v, B&W 804S, JL Fathom 113 (2)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 87
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 87 |
No offense taken whatsoever. I'm confident the MS600 is an improvement over the already satisfactory baseline performance of the MC200.
My objective was to see if relatively low cost expenditures like an external PSU would improve the MC200's audio output. My rational was to start with a PSU and when funds permit add either an external DAC or a MS600.
In other words, I want to see if I can tweak out a little better performance without spending lots of $.
I've used my MC200 with both the Playback Designs MPS-5 DAC section as well as with a Lindemann 825 DAC section with signifigant audible improvements. Sigh..If only money grew on trees.
MC200, Aqua La Scala DAC, Conrad Johnson CT5 pre/LP70S amp, Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers. Shunyata Hydra power conditioner, Asst. Shunyata, Nordost, & Siltech cables.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 713
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 713 |
Hi Matsaly, For the record, I upgraded the power supply on my Squeezebox Touch and did get a noticeable audible difference (however it was not so massive as installing the SBT Toolbox V3)
If you consider the SQ Touch to be Logitech's equivalent of an Sooloos "End Point" then maybe it is possible to improve the "End Point" sound of a MC200 with an upgraded supply. My guess is that the difference would not be great.
If you do try it, please let us know how it goes.
/Marcus
Lounge: 861v4+ID40 (hardwired Cat 6), HD621, 2xDSP6000.2VC (l/r), DSP5500.2HC, 2*Jamo ARTina (rears), D2500, 556, 596P, PS3, Humax HDR-1000S Bed 2: MD600 (hardwired Cat 6) , QNAP 453 Pro
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
Just wanted to report that I received the Teddy12V/4A Power Supply this morning and have swapped out the MC200 wall wart for this high-quality linear PSU.
Just played a few tracks to my ID40 and a three words popped up, nimble, focused and pure.
The shipping and handling was done very speedy, Teddy12V/4A PSU was 420$ incl. shipping and handling and EMS package delivered to door just a few days later. Thanks Teddy Pardo!
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,174
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|