I'm in need of a new small hi-fi for the kitchen; an M80 won't do as it's to go on top of a cupboard and be as unobtrusive as possible.
Requirements are:-
Optical input for Apple Airport Express or built in Airplay. FM Radio. Integral amplifier or built in powered 'speakers (must be as good as a pair of quality bookshelf 'speakers). Mains powered. Contemporary aesthetic. Remote controlled (as it's up high).
Budget? Could you substitute internet radio for FM radio?
Mark G68, baby Genelecs, Humax Foxsat, Oppo+Vanity93, Toshiba HD-A35, Pioneer CLD-925 + Meridian 519, various other random bits and bobs Got a black G08.2 you want to sell?
Budget? Could you substitute internet radio for FM radio?
Up to �600, but cheaper if the speakers aren't included. Has to have FM, the dining room has a 504 and DAB/DVB has too much delay; it could have internet radio as well though.
I use a Squeezebox Boom at bedside and think it is a very good unit for casual use. Whilst not AirPlay it is LAN/wifi with analogue line in. The shape is well suited to the space between cupboard and ceiling. If AirPlay was just for iPod then it's assume you would get the same tunes via the network from your pc. All radio could be from the net.
Can you do ceiling speakers and have the hifi located elsewhere?
Russ
Sadly not, and SWMBO doesn't like them.
Technically the sources are elsewhere; BBC Broadcasting House and the iTunes library.
What I really would like is a good looking and small FM receiver with an optical input, something like the Denon or Teac Ref micros, but I can't find one with an optical in!
If you know of any older models that would fit the bill, I'm not adverse to 2nd hand.
I use a Squeezebox Boom at bedside and think it is a very good unit for casual use. Whilst not AirPlay it is LAN/wifi with analogue line in. The shape is well suited to the space between cupboard and ceiling. If AirPlay was just for iPod then it's assume you would get the same tunes via the network from your pc. All radio could be from the net.
Can a squeezebox accept airplay via itunes? I already use airplay in other rooms and this would allow synchronised music throughout the house. I'm all Apple; PCs strictly for work.
I have a Sonos S5 (Play:5) unit in my Kitchen. They now do a smaller unit, the Play:3. Sonos
Sonos can also take analogue in which can be be distributed amongst other Sonos units.
Sonos offers Airplay integration when used in conjunction with an Apple Airport Express.
Doesn't do FM but internet radio has this or you can plug an FM tuner into Sonos via analogue input. I have my Freeview box and Sooloos connected like this.
Control is via PC, Mac control screens or via iPad, iPhone, Android apps.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Haven't used any of these exact ones, but I had an earlier edition Classik and liked it.
Not that Duncan, the other one. No, not that one either. System 1: Onkyo NR-609, Kef Reference Model 1, Kef 200C, Dune D1, Sony BDP-S760, Humax FoxSat HDR System 2: Arcam A28, Spendor SA1, tweaked Asus Essence STX
You could try a Yamaha YSP5100 or 4100 soundbar. Not really designed for the purpose you have in mind, but I think it might tick most of your boxes while having almost no depth. Height plus hard kitchen surfaces would probably favour it soundwise. Built-in FM, iPod Compatibility via Wireless Transmitter (YIT-W10 Charging cradle), a few digital inputs for your airport express/squeezebox which you could bury behind it, and a wireless sub (should you want it). Bit left field, but I hought I'd throw it out there.
Last edited by dBrowne; 2012-06-1414:00.
Main System: Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 2 x 8KXE, 1 x 8KPP, 6 x M6 Surrounds, Rel No.25, Oppo 203, Zappiti Pro 4K HDR, Roon, WiiM Mini.
Not that Duncan, the other one. No, not that one either. System 1: Onkyo NR-609, Kef Reference Model 1, Kef 200C, Dune D1, Sony BDP-S760, Humax FoxSat HDR System 2: Arcam A28, Spendor SA1, tweaked Asus Essence STX