|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
I'm curious, What does the MS600 bring to the table that elevates the sound quality so much from just the MC200, assuming I'd still be using the same high quality Simaudio DAC I'm using now?
Last edited by Kerry; 2012-06-09 15:04.
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Given that my Simaudio DAC up samples to 32 bit/192Hz, is it a problem that the Sooloos is already up sampling to 24 bit/88 Hz before outputting the digital signal to the DAC?
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
Bigger numbers do not mean better audio quality, we had a thread on this recently Sampling and high bit rate with some interesting links. try listening at 88 or 96 /24 as output from the MC200. Further up sampling can degrade audio quality and maybe that is what you are hearing, hence the cable effect altering things. cheers, Chris 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Thanks Chris; I think what I was trying to get at is, is it ok to have one device upsample/apsodise from the original file (MC200) before creating the digital stream to the DAC and then have the DAC go through its own up sampling process? Would it be better to turn off the upsampling/apsodising process in the Sooloos to keep it to only one up sampling process? I can't alter the process in the Simaudio - it's just how that particular DAC operates.
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
No you want to keep your jitter output from the MC200 in half, thus leave upsampling to 24/88.2 on in the MC200(default).
Also, you seem to listen very critically and therefore an MS600 or even 818 would make sense in your system.
The difference in SQ between the PC audio endpoints MC200/MC600/C15 vs ID4x based MS600/808.3i/861v6/818 is large if you listen critically and yes we're talking about the 'transport' part and using the same outboard DACs in comparison.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Hi Kerry, I suggest you do a Google Search of this forum for the word "Jitter". You will find lots of discussion on it and why upsampling as early as possible reduces it.
Also there have been some good discussions as to why the 818+ID41/803.3+ID40/861v6+ID40 & MS600 Sooloos endpoints outperform the MC200 entry point unit.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Thanks for the input folks! Yes, I just tried turning off the up sampling and while it adds lots more high frequency emphasis to the sound it robs the sound of warmth and harmonic texture, making it sound a little grating and harsh. This must be what added jitter sounds like...interesting. I will definitely look into your suggestions if/when I head down the upgrade path in the future (and save up lots of money - this Sooloos and Meridian stuff is not cheap  Meantime, any other suggestions to get the most out of the MC200 at minimal or no added investment would sure be appreciated! Cheers, Kerry
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 21 |
Is your digital cable at least 1.5 meters long? As you may be aware UHF Magazine has experimented with digital cable lengths and found 1.5m to sound best. Some of the designers of DAC's also suggest 1.5m or longer for digital cables. It has to do with reflections of the signal occuring in the cable messing up the sound a bit.
Linn Genki (cd), Linn LP12 - SimAudio Celeste P5003 (preamp) - Dynaudio Focus 110A (Active speakers). Meridian Wannabe.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Yes, I too read that 1.5 m is an ideal length so that's what I bought. My local dealer, who is somewhat of a skeptic of cable claims actually did some experimentation and found that 1.5 m sounded better in his expensive Mark Levinson and Sooloos system than the same cable in a 2 m length.
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
+1 Tips and tweaks can make only a marginal difference, at best. The MS600 raises the sound quality to a whole new level. Assuming I'm still using digital coax out to my Simaudio DAC, what is different about the creation of that digital signal by adding an MS600 to my MC200? I'm trying to understand what will drive the improvement in sound with the MC600 in the chain.
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Assuming I'm still using digital coax out to my Simaudio dac, what is different about the creation of that digital signal by adding an MS600 to my MC200? I'm trying to understand what will drive the improvement in sound with the MC600 in the chain. The MS600 has lower digital jitter. Have you tried searching the forum as I suggested in my previous post? Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245 |
Hi Carl,
I've been looking and have found some interesting stuff but there seems to be a bit of confusion about what tasks the MS600 takes over from the MC200 when added to the system, particularly when just using the digital output. If you can refer me to a forum that speaks to this I'd sure appreciate it!
Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s
|
|
|
|
2 members (Locus, Colin Triggs),
331
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|