|
|
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 49
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 49 |
Well Folks,
I am sure you have all heard this question many times before!
First, I have a two year old 561 with software upgrade,I also just purchased a 596 DVD with which I am very happy.
I have now had an offer of a pair of DSP5000's five years old, with recent 24/96 upgrade - OR a pair of 5500's only a few months old.
In british pounds,there is a difference of �3,000 between the 5000 and the 5500, and a saving of �2,500 on the 5500's which are only a few months. My question; are the 5500 that much better to warrant that amount of extra money?
I will have to travel from Ireland to England to audition both sets of speakers so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance James
G68J (power upgrade), G98, 5500x3 James Guiler
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,210 Likes: 1
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,210 Likes: 1 |
only you and your ears can decide if they are "worth it".
my only 5500 experience was with an upgrade of a 5000C to a 5500HC and it was worth every penny IMO.
doody.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173 Likes: 34
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173 Likes: 34 |
Defo the 5500 - the difference is night and day. I really wasn't too impressed with the 5000's at all. The 5500 will sort you right out.
Chris
2 Meridian 7200SE Speakers, 17 Meridian DSP750 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSP730 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSW-600 Subwoofers, 3 Meridian DSP640.2 Speakers, 24 Meridian DSP320 Speakers, 3 Meridian 271 Digital Cinema Controller, 7 Meridian 218, 1 Meridian 818 v3, 1 Trinnov Altitude 32 Processor, 1 Trinnov Altitude 16 Processor, Barco Freya+
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161 Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161 Likes: 4 |
Although I don't actually have them myself (yet) I would definitely recommend 5k5s, particularly the Centre.
The difference in quality is huge partially I think because the 5k centre is rated as small in setup, 5k5 is large and produces a beautiful, deep, powerful tone. I hope your room is quite large enough to take it.
I too travelled from Ireland to demo some kit and can wholeheartedly recommend Musical Images in Covent Garden, London.
The guy there had no problem setting up a 55 system with V3 861 and 596 for me to listen to.
Damn, now you've got me thinking about that 5k5HC! As above, let your ears tell your wallet to do. My system is 5ks across the front, 33s at rear and it keeps me very happy. For my room maybe just the 5k5HC would do as an upgrade.
Regards, Manus
Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 78
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 78 |
Well, I had a disappointing experience auditioning an ex demo (but 24/96) pair of 5500s. After switching back and forth several times between my old 18 bit 5000s and the much bigger (and much less pretty) 5500, I thought that the 5500s were indeed better overall, but not by much and not on all discs played, and that some of the improvement at the top end might well have been in the more advanced DACS. This was in a largeish room, using a 500 and 518 front end. I wonder if my demo speakers were less than perfect examples of the 5500, because most others I have discussed this with (but not all) have much more positive experiences to report.
michaelh
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 49
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 49 |
Thanks for the input,my room is quiet small,20x20....would the 5500's be wasted? Can anyone steer me in the righ direction regarding the difference in the speakers over the last five years,once again thank to everyone.
James in Ireland
G68J (power upgrade), G98, 5500x3 James Guiler
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 295
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 295 |
James, The best description I have heard of the difference between DSP5000's and DSP5500's is that the bigger speakers have more "scale". I have DSP5k's and am really impressed by how good they are - clear, detailed, transparent and they can go deep too. I've listened to DSP55k's and they are wonderful - they do all that the smaller ones do with that extra scale of height, depth and presence. Do you plan to stop at a stereo pair? If so I'd go for the DSP55k's. If you want surround, and budget or space are an issue, a room full of DSP5k's might do better.
Steve
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173 Likes: 34
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173 Likes: 34 |
James....
I have a pair of 6k's in a room roughly your size with 5k centre and 5k rears. I cannot shout loudly enough the difference of the 6ks over the 5ks. Even the wife recognised the massive difference. There was simply no comparison. Pretty much everyone agrees that the 5k5 and 6k are not too far appart in sonic qualities. Go 5k5 !!!
C
2 Meridian 7200SE Speakers, 17 Meridian DSP750 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSP730 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSW-600 Subwoofers, 3 Meridian DSP640.2 Speakers, 24 Meridian DSP320 Speakers, 3 Meridian 271 Digital Cinema Controller, 7 Meridian 218, 1 Meridian 818 v3, 1 Trinnov Altitude 32 Processor, 1 Trinnov Altitude 16 Processor, Barco Freya+
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
I agree with much of the above and especially the "wife test". I had the same results which was good as I'd purchased the 55's without getting Mrs L to the demo. She immediately appreciated the significant improvement that the 55's give over the 5ks.
However, it may be that for some ears, the extra weight, scale and depth is not ideal.
If you are getting the 55's for about �5000 then that's a great deal...especially if they are current model. Be warned, they are pretty heavy if you are shipping across the Irish sea.
Rgds
Nick
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 49
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 49 |
Nick,Ham&C
Thanks for all the input.I hope to travel be car to Scotland next Tuesday to audition the 55k's.The speakers are only 11 months old.
I have checked the serial numbers out with Meridian,and they confirm the date of purchase(aug02)and that the seller is the owner.
So I am waiting for some fax info tomorrow about transferring the warranty,and if all is well I will be off on Monday or Tuesday to check the speakers out!
I will be bringing them back in the back of a Merc wagon-it is only a short crossing from Belfast to Stranraer,so I should be able to get back that night.
Thanks everybody,will post when I have the speakers back, and have set everything up.
I already have a updated 561&596 so I hope to be able to buy a secondhand 55c and some DSP33's for the rear
With good wishes from Ireland
James Guiler
G68J (power upgrade), G98, 5500x3 James Guiler
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|