logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Picking up this thread to avoid starting a new one, does anyone use HD800s in conjunction with Meridian kit and (ideally) Meridian's apodizing filter?

I'm SPECIFICALLY interested in knowing whether or not the oft reported "sibilance" is absent with the Meridian apodizing filter (and therefore is due to sub-optimal digital filtering).

TIA.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,198
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,198
I use mine connected to my MC200, if that's any help smile

At one stage I also had it connected to my G61R

Last edited by Shaun; 2014-04-28 14:29. Reason: Added G61R

DSP6000, 5500 centre, SW5500. Kef surrounds. G61R, HD621, MS600, MC200, G55, Lumgen,Oppo bluray player, Bluesound Node Icon
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Thanks Shaun. And? :-)


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
VK are there any particular tracks where sibilance may be (but shouldn't be) evident? I know some tracks where it's on the recording.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
No, just wanting to know if "sibilant treble" is common with this combination.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
I've read various negative comments about the treble of the HD800. I'm very curious how they would compare to Audeze LCD-X for example�.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,198
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,198
I have detected no 'sibilant treble' whilst listening to my headphones. The only thing I did was to pick a headphone, amp which had been reviewed with the 800's.

Not sure if this is of any help but I am extremely happy with my set up smile

Cheers

Shaun


DSP6000, 5500 centre, SW5500. Kef surrounds. G61R, HD621, MS600, MC200, G55, Lumgen,Oppo bluray player, Bluesound Node Icon
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
I listened (all too briefly unfortunately) to HD800, LCD-X, LCD 3 and Oppo PM1 this morning. I've no background to comment in a meaningful way other than to say they were all fantastic headphones differing fairly subtlety in terms of presentation. I'd need to sit somewhere comfy for several days to even begin to get critical! One day�

(HD800 were "bright" rather than neutral)

Last edited by Tintin; 2014-04-30 04:00.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
It would be nice to get this subject going again.

While I have complete Meridian system, I also listen to headphones a great deal. I have just purchased the Sennheiser HD800S to replace my HD800 headphones. I find the 800s to have a much smoother sound especially in the area around 6K. I use a highly modified Bottlehead Crack.

I recently purchased the Meridian Prime Amp and Power Supply. It did not compete with the Crack which is much less expensive.

Best


861v4, G68ADV, DSP7000, DSP5000HC, Oppo 205 DVD, and 4KTV.
Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Bottleneck Crack Amp, Oppo DVD
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Interesting, I bought a pair of HD800S's headphones, driven by a Sony NW-WM1Z and didn't enjoy this experience very much. I was assuming this was because it needed a better amp to drive them, would this be your feeling too? Does anyone have any idea whether they would work well with the Meridian Prime headphone amp?


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 537
Likes: 2
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 537
Likes: 2
Edo,

I have the HD 800's and love the sound. That said, I'm a very small guy with a a narrow face, and have never found them particularly comfortable. For me, they are much less comfortable than the Sennheiser HD580's I used to have.

I'd make sure you try them before purchasing them.

Regarding the high-frequencies, I don't find them sibilant or fatiguing at all. To my ears, they sound completely natural.

The bass, when the music calls for it, can be genuinely startling. I wouldn't have thought it possible for headphones to produce such deep, utterly clean bass.

Good luck with your purchase!


Living room: 818v3, Parasound A23+, Maggie 1.6
A/V room: 861v8, DSP7200SE L/R/C, 4x DSP320 surrounds, ID41 + Roon, UHD722, Prime+PS
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Likes: 3
I have the 800S version (and use the Sennheiser HDVA 600 amp and the 818v3 DAC). I think they are fantastic headphones and I don’t have problems with sibilance, comfort or anything else. I did find that isolating the amp from vibration helped the overall sound quality.

(PS It’s possible I may sell them, so if they pop up in the Restaurant it is no reflection on the quality of the headphones - I need closed-back ones and knew this when I bought them smirk Hey ho.)


Main system: NUC, Roon, Network Acoustics Ag ENO/cable, 218, 5200SE, Townsend Podium, Sennheiser HD820/800s, Sennheiser HDVA 820 amp.
Mobile: Explorer, IE800
Kitchen: MS200, F80
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Croft, JCD), 412 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 40 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8888 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 14:41:00 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS