|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30 |
Hi all. First post from a new MC200 owner. According to Meridian's information on the MC200: A USB expansion port can also be used to interface one of a range of compatible WiFi adaptors to allow the unit to be controlled remotely via a wireless network" Is there a list of compatible WiFi adaptors anywhere? I've tried a TP-LINK TL-WN821N without success. How do you tell the MC200 about the wireless network (SSID, passphrase etc.)? I see no parameters for this in the Meridian Sooloos Configure application. Or are we limited to only those devices that support pushbutton Wifi Protected Setup? Cheers Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 51
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 51 |
Mark, I'd suggest a Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter, or similar. It acts as a bridge between the wired connection on your MC200 and your wireless network. The MC200 won't need any configuration to use it. Graham
#1: StormAudioISPEliteMk1;DSP5K2/5K2HC/D33x6/D2500;RoonRock/Tidal RegaPlanar3/RB250/Carbon/NADPP2;SonyTCK850es;CaCXUHD;CaAzure651T;GoogleTV; FireTV4KMax;AppleTV4k;Virgin360/Philips 65OLED950;SonosArc #2: 562v2;DSP5K;FireTV;SonyBDPS3700;CAAzure640T Spare: 568.2mm (faulty);596s;DSP5000C;M60C;Explorer2;G68ADV;
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30 |
Thanks Graham. I have moved a wireless bridge from another part of the house to the stereo to test the MC200/iPad app combo and it worked well from a technical POV.
The USB WiFi dongle is a neater solution however. No cables or visible boxes etc...
I'm just curious about this "range of compatible WiFi adaptors" that Meridian mention on their web site as a USB WiFi adaptor is my preferred solution.
Cheers Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
Last time this was mentioned I think RIck said the USB wireless dongle was not yet supported outside of the Datasheet...
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Isn't it also only for 'control' ? Having spoken with Meridian and their views on WiFi, I don't think that they will support audio other than via wired connection. But this was a long time ago and their views may have changed.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
Isn't it also only for 'control' ? Having spoken with Meridian and their views on WiFi, I don't think that they will support audio other than via wired connection. But this was a long time ago and their views may have changed. The datasheet says "(This connection is not recommended for audio streaming between devices.)" which suggests it might work to connect to other Sooloos devices, even if not recommended and perhaps not reliable... And that may be entirely theoretical anyway if it's not yet supported.
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 256
Meridian Partner Hitchhiker
|
|
Meridian Partner Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 256 |
It's not enabled (yet?). However if it ever is enabled, it will not (as some of you have mentioned) be intended to support streaming. Control only. Meridian currently have very definite views on the potential issues with wireless streaming particularly in large mulitroom systems running hi bandwidth. They have always stated that they are trying to build a system that has the same speed and stability running one single zone and half a dozen files as ... maybe a dozen zones and 20000+ albums ? You can only hope to achieve this if you "manage" everything ...storage, network etc etc. I know there are folks out there that are using wireless streaming with Sooloos and will say that ' it works' ... That's fine up to a point. It is however not the approved method.
It's frustrating sometimes as some other manufactures make things a little easier BUT their systems would probably not be able to perform as well in extreme conditions.
Gerry
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30 |
Yes, the WiFi ethernet connection is only intended for control purposes (web / iPad). My MC200 retrieves music from its on-board HDD. I want to control the device via an iPad connected to the same LAN. I must say I am very surprised to hear that USB WiFi may not be supported. Meridians documentation on the MC200 clearly indicates it is. Time to speak to my dealer. In any case, I have a much bigger problem at the moment. My MC200 doesn't turn on! I hold the power toggle down, the LED flashes for a second or two and then I hear a relay click and the LED goes off 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
I must say I am very surprised to hear that USB WiFi may not be supported. Meridians documentation on the MC200 clearly indicates it is. Golly, one of Meridian's datasheets is inaccurate? Well, that's never happened before... 
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30 |
Golly, one of Meridian's datasheets is inaccurate? Well, that's never happened before...  You'll have to excuse me. This is my first dealing with Meridian. I'm learning - the hard way...  Cheers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Meridian Factory, Huntingdon, England (where everything is mostly designed and built) is sometimes called The Mothership because they are often on a different planet 
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 30 |
Is there a list of compatible WiFi adaptors anywhere? I've tried a TP-LINK TL-WN821N without success. How do you tell the MC200 about the wireless network (SSID, passphrase etc.)?
I see no parameters for this in the Meridian Sooloos Configure application. I have received a response back from my dealer via the Australian distributor via Meridian (phew) that "We�ve had trouble with the USB WiFi for Media Core 200. It�s quite possible to make it work, however the creation of a user interface has proven a total pain and we have, so far, not found a method that we think would really help a customer." So you guys were correct - no support for USB WiFi adaptors. Cheers Mark
|
|
|
|
1 members (swpnt),
137
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,175
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|