logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Genius Rick - thanks also PerS1

I found the option to force 1x output.

Strange though - I've lost 24/192!! The system reset overnight. Now the HD tracks are showing as 48kHz ?!? I guess mine's now doing the same as yours Carl?

What can I do to tell the Control NOT to downsample or to set the Sooloos so it knows there's a 24/192 capable device at the other end of the MSL?

Much obliged as always...




Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 1
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Meridialien
"Two digital inputs to SPDIF standard; 32kHz�96kHz sampling rates at up to 24 bit; MHR support. (A future software update will enable support for 192kHz."

From the 8000 Datasheet of December 2001 . Does this mean that the Firmware updates are on their way or is just for Analogue ??
It's ten years since that was written. Expect at least another ten years.


HD621, G98DH, G68ADV, Bc Acoustiqe ACT A3, 5200C DSP33, NuForce Reference 9 monoblocks, 2x SB3's, Velodyne DD-15 & DD-12 Subwoofers and a Meridian sub.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Originally Posted by TommyPeters
It's ten years since that was written. Expect at least another ten years.

So, 10 years from now can we expect apodising of 24/96 files to their 192 kHz derivatives or would there be no value in that? wink

For me personally, 192 KHz files are a waste of disk space as I can�t distinguish between 16/44.1 and 24/96 files (derived from the same master) let alone any higher sample rates.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
The other way to view this is that at last Sooloos catches up with where M were 10 years ago with DVDA playback of 2-channel 192k material. The fact that even through the 861, G68 and 568.2 via the 598's and 800's the input signal was always down-sampled to 96k.

It does raise the question of whether they will enable 96/24 5.1 playback anytime soon. Given that we have seen again the sorry state of DVDA players coming back from repair without DVDA playback it might just rectify some of that frustration and lead to a few more Sooloos sales.
I just hope that the ID40 has been designed with this in mind such that it's either ready for it now or is just a f/w change to enable it.

It would be nice of course to hear what a DSP would do with a 192k feed. Whether or not the DSP's ever get 192k isn't going to lose me any sleep. The 192k tracks that I do play sound utterly sublime even with the current 96k limit.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 632
Meridian Partner
Paranoid android
Meridian Partner
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 632
Originally Posted by Carl
However, more important to us 'loyal' Meridian owners is when can we feed our Meridian DACs within our Meridian processors and Meridian DSP Speakers with 192Khz signals.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to pass this feedback to Meridian.


Hi Carl,

The restriction is to do with the SPDIF & AES/EBU standard(s) in that the maximum output is restricted to 24bit/96kHz - this is not a Meridian restriction and despite claims/spec's to the contrary, ALL rival Digital Media systems that use SPDIF (from the like of Linn, Naim, Olive etc.) downsample to 24/96kHz before outputting via the digital output of their source device.

Unfortunately for owners of other Digital Media systems, they do not benefit from MRE (Meridian Resolution Enhancement - Apodising, FIFO buffering & Upsampling) in addition to the 24/96 output.

I hope this explains where the 'issue' lies regarding the digital domain.

Regarding the analogue domain, I'm waiting for some information from Meridian about how the 24/192 output is handled, but I suspect the downsampling will occur in the DSP prior to output to the analogue outputs rather than after. I'll post as soon as I have clarification on this.

Kind regards,
Alan


Martins HiFi Meridian Partner for East Anglia 01603 627010
Our History Meet the Team
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
In that case, the potential sonic benefits of feeding a 24/192 file as opposed to a 24/96 file (for digital output) are not immediately obvious (to me at least)


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by Dpaws
"That's good; sounds like it is a great well timed update for you. Cool"

It is Carl - I'd been tipped off that it was coming any day, hence I took the plunge with the purchase...

Very happy so far with the interface, very clever!

I need to squeeze a better digital out from the Control 15 (my preference over buying another box and introducing networking)

I've been speaking to some companies behind the scenes to see what may be possible. I'm hoping Paul Miller will run it on his test rig again once any work has been done - would be nice to see a before and after...

I know it shouldn't affect a SMPS but the Control sounds "better" (different) getting it's mains via the Powerplant Premiere than direct from the wall. Don't know why, it just does...

I upgraded the power cord on the Control:10 and I too thought it sounded better. Fuller, more solid image, better depth. Not sure why but I liked it so much I upgraded the power cords on all the Sooloos components. Can't say anything about the individual improvements from there as I installed all the new power cords at the same time.

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by Cliff.
In that case, the potential sonic benefits of feeding a 24/192 file as opposed to a 24/96 file (for digital output) are not immediately obvious (to me at least)


You're correct, there's no real sonic benefit in importing a 192 as opposed to a 96 file for digital output.

The update has been made to allow collectors who already have 192 music to store this on the Sooloos along with their other formats. Allowing it to be played in the Sooloos system, and still available for 'Export' in the native 192 format when required.

Well that's my take on it anyway.

Rick


Audio Images, 284 Glossop Road, Sheffield, England. Tel: 0114 273 7893
Website: www.audio-images.co.uk Email: Click here to email Rick
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by AudioImages
Originally Posted by Cliff.
In that case, the potential sonic benefits of feeding a 24/192 file as opposed to a 24/96 file (for digital output) are not immediately obvious (to me at least)


You're correct, there's no real sonic benefit in importing a 192 as opposed to a 96 file for digital output.

The update has been made to allow collectors who already have 192 music to store this on the Sooloos along with their other formats. Allowing it to be played in the Sooloos system, and still available for 'Export' in the native 192 format when required.

Well that's my take on it anyway.

Rick

Agreed!

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322
Likes: 9
JCD Online: Content
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322
Likes: 9
I have just confirmed that a 192kHz source from a MC200 appears as 96kHz on the display of a 808.3.

Is this the final state when using the analogue outs of the 808.3?

Clearly, this will depend on the capabilities of the MC200 / ID40 combination which I guess we don't yet know. The 808.3 states that it contains a 192kHz capable DAC however, we don't know whether the ID40 / other internal of the 808.3 are similarly capable. We do know that the resolution enhancement takes 44.1kHz material to 176.4kHz, so there must be some benefit from going to the higher rate internally within the 808.3, perhaps this is just to support associated filtering?

So far the main benefit is that 192kHz material is 'supported' rather than being capable of being played directly. Given, as others have said, that 96kHz through the MC200 / 808.3 sounds so good, this may not really matter.

-----

As I was typing this - I see Rick concluded much the same above...


John

Last edited by JCD; 2011-07-12 10:12. Reason: overlapping posts

808v6, M60, MC200, HD621, Lumagen XE, 504, SB Touch, 563, 201, 204, 208, MPMAX 221, M80, Explorer, Explorer2.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
Thanks Rick. I also agree that it simply means we can access these files at last.

Any thoughts on 5.1 into ID40 based on exactly the same reason?


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Hi John - Interesting - at least you're receiving a 24/96 signal at the next point along the chain. At the moment the maximum I seem to be able to send is 24/48 to a non Meridian product.

I am wondering if I'm falling foul of MHR encryption? Without a capable receiver then the Sooloos refuses to output a hi-res signal - even though there's no valid copyright issues and despite my files being native 24/96.


Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,008 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.099s Queries: 40 (0.069s) Memory: 0.8913 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 05:30:50 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS