logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#138580 2011-03-16 18:57
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Hi All, I am a new forum member considering the MC200. I would like to find a one box solution and I do have an iPad. I am currently using an iMAC and Apple TV2 hooked via ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme router. Only have 250 CDs, so 500gb is plenty of storage for now. The rest of my system is Bryston preamp and amps and Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers. I also have an Arcam CD37 as my source.

I have called the 3 Meridian dealers near me in Southern California. None have the MC200 yet, and only one has said they plan to get one and set it up to demo. Once they do I will be able to compare the MC200 to PS Audio PWD + Bridge and Linn Majik DS which are all in the $4000 US retail price range.

I am curious if anyone has had a chance to compare the MC200 via analogue outputs to the MC200 + MS600 analogue out and if so are there significant differences in SQ.

I understand that a one box solution is a compromise and may have higher noise floor due to analogue and digital electronics sharing the same space as the computer electronics. But if the MC200 has good isolation and there are no shortcuts taken in the digital or analogue or power supply sections then it should sound great and maybe even very close to the MS600.

Adding an MS600 would take the retail up to $7000 US and is out of my range.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks, Al



Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 786
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 786
Likes: 1
Hi Al,

I can give you some preliminary comments.

I was told in Bristol that the MC200 will sound infinitesmally better than the C15 which is my comparison. In my opinion the Meridian G series spinners sound just better than the C15 so the MC200 SQ should be darn close to the G spinners.

Aside from the sound quality, I got totally hooked on a server and would never go back to spinning discs.

I understood from Bristol that the MS600 would make a noticable improvement in SQ, like going from a G series spinner to an 800 series. And you can do this upgrade at any time later.

IMHO the MC200 is the most bang for the buck at this time from M so you shouldn't regret this step. Given that it is easy to upgrade later if you choose to, it should be a long term investment.

Aloha,


Home: DSP8000's, DSP5500HC, DSP5200's, 861v6>v8+ID41, MC200, HD621.
Oppo BDP-83, Kuro PDP-6020FD, Sennheiser HD650.
Hawaii: Meridian F80 with i80, iPod Classic 160GB.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Were these comments made regarding digital or analogue outputs, or both?


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 786
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 786
Likes: 1
Hi Nic,

The comments were made for both, but my memory of course focused on my digital application. But I can safely say that generally it was for both, with the possibility that the improvement with the MS600 was even more for analogue, but I'm sorry that is the limit of my recollection.

Aloha,


Home: DSP8000's, DSP5500HC, DSP5200's, 861v6>v8+ID41, MC200, HD621.
Oppo BDP-83, Kuro PDP-6020FD, Sennheiser HD650.
Hawaii: Meridian F80 with i80, iPod Classic 160GB.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
For clarification the C15 only has digital outputs, so any comparasions with the C15 can't be analogue.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
To clarify, my question is related to the law of diminishing returns. I know product brochures use marketing speak. The product brochure for the MC200 claims "pristine" audio from analogue etc. Well, if the MC200 has pristine audio then is the MS600 pristine plus and the 808.3 pristine plus plus plus plus?

Ultimately I'll trust my ears but for $4000 I would expect pristine audio without major compromise.

Al


Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by One2Many
Ultimately I'll trust my ears

Very wise, at this level it is your own ears that count, no one else's.

You don't list your kit, what would you be connecting the Sooloos to?

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 531
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 531
Does anyone know if there any interior/circuit images of the MC200 available ?

Avii


Life but not as we know it...
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 531
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 531
Originally Posted by Carl
Very wise, at this level it is your own ears that count, no one elses.

That brings back memories of a blind comparison held by another forum. Using eyes and ears alone one guy preferred the audio from a cheap �200 product over the more expensive brands �4.5 product. Strangely he had purchased the �4.5k product shortly before the blind comparison.

Unfortunately our ears can be affected by brand and price preconception.

Avii

Last edited by Avii; 2011-03-19 12:40.

Life but not as we know it...
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
The rest of my kit that would be hooked to the MC200 is a Bryston BP6 preamp, Bryston PP300SST monoblock amps and Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers.


Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 531
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 531
Originally Posted by One2Many
The rest of my kit that would be hooked to the MC200 is a Bryston BP6 preamp, Bryston PP300SST monoblock amps and Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers.

Have you evaluated the Bryston BDP-1 ?

Avii


Life but not as we know it...
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
No, I have not, but thanks for the suggestion, it is also on my list. The BDP-1 with BDA-1 DAC combo retails for $4300, in the same ballpark.

I keep reading that the Sooloos interface is one the best available. I do like the idea of a one box solution that is plug and play reliable, but Sound Quality is very important. It seems that many of these other interfaces are works in progress (read some of the posts at the PS Audio forum re problems with the bridge card, NAS interfaces, twonky, tagnplay, elryic etc). I am not sure I want to be an audio interface beta tester. Seems like Sooloos has already worked through many issues. Maybe the iPad app could be better though.

Al



Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 123 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.048s Queries: 40 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8859 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 03:40:09 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS