|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6 |
I'm curious if anyone has heard new the DSP3200's and impressions. I do not see it on Meridians site but (I think) it is being sold. Thanks. ![[Linked Image from ultimateavmag.com]](http://www.ultimateavmag.com/images/Meridian-DSP3200.jpg)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165 Likes: 67
Meridian Partner Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Meridian Partner Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165 Likes: 67 |
They aren't available yet. I believe they have been 'put back' until January 2011. Rick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6 |
Thanks Rick. I believe you were the one who told me about the DSP3200's in a email conversation. I had asked about the F80/M80.
I'd be curious the specs on the DSP3200's..
One thought that keeps coming back to me is if the F80 sounds so good with the added little sub woofer they put in the back of the enclosure why doesn't Meridian add subs to any of their other lines of speakers like Vandersteen? Bass is so important when listening to music. I once talked with Richard Vandersteen and he said: "Without Bass there is no music". I firmly believe that... I think a speaker needs to go down to at least a real 30hz minimum.
I notice your company also sells Def Tech and the Mythos ST also incorporates subs. Not sure if this is a quality speaker but I think they are on the correct path
Thanks, -Ross
Last edited by Ross; 2010-10-11 23:17.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
A "sub" is just a low frequency woofer. Meridian DOES put low frequency woofers on all their speakers. The bigger, the more expensive, the lower it goes. It's all about moving air. And that takes space and money. It's just Marketing that calls the low freq woofer in the F80/M80 a "sub". It's partly called a sub because it's mono in the F80/M80. So the lack of dual woofers is now turned into a marketing ploy  I consider my 6K's to be two subs with some studio monitors sitting on top.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6 |
Thanks George.. That helps me understand how speakers work.. -Ross
Last edited by Ross; 2010-10-12 12:54.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147 |
Perhaps the ultimate upgrade from the 3200s is buying the base cabinets which then = 8200s  and for that $$$ you get some display windows 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
The photo show above must have been for an early prototype as it is not the same as the DSP3200s Meridian showed me at CEDIA. For more information on the DSP3200s, click here.
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
They look the same to me. Just the photo above has grills off.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
In real life, the sides are definitely smooth, the front edges are radiused at right angles, and they are all one color. Perhaps what I see as sculpting on the left side, an angled left front edge, and a black bottom are just shadows. If so, then they are the same.
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
In real life, the sides are definitely smooth, the front edges are radiused at right angles, and they are all one color. Perhaps what I see as sculpting on the left side, an angled left front edge, and a black bottom are just shadows. If so, then they are the same. I think what you are seeing is odd lighting. It's a shadow.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534 |
561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 147 |
Frank's link shows different cabinets than the pic in the post. In fact Frank's link show's IDENTICAL head units from the DSP8k's, shadows notwithstanding. These are essentially 8K head units sold separately. I guess the base unit is where most of the $$$ resides -- the display ain't cheap.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
117
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|