logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#120118 2010-06-30 22:50
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
I know this have been discussed but I've gone thru passed threads and have not found the recommended settings for the HD621 (when connecting multi channel sources, like Dish Network, HDDVD, AppleTV).

Thanks in advances.

Javier


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
strongly recommend you read the manual -> http://www.Meridian-audio.info/public/HD621-userguide-a5%5B1292%5D.pdf

IMHO, it is more a matter of configuring the HDMI devices feeding the HD621 than the other way around.



Primary: 818v3+ID41, M6 stereo pair, M SpeakerLink cabling, Sonos+96kHz Cullen, silver DSW
HT: Marantz prepro, 271, DSP3300, 8K SE FL/FR pair, DSP M6x2, DSP320x4 (ceiling), black DSW, 520 RL/RR rear in-walls
Living Room: G65, 640 L/R in-walls, UHD722, MS600
Vac. Home: G61, HD621, 4xDSP3100, DSP3100HC
MDMS:NUC/ROCK+TrueNAS Core 12.0 ZFS file server
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
+1

For most people the HD621 works out the box without any config changes.
Though of course one needs to re-config the associated processor sources to get their audio input from the chosen multi-channel input that the HD621 is feeding.

Plus all the HDMI sources, that can decode, should be configured to internaly decode and output LPMC at 44K1, 48K, 88K2 & 96K via HDMI.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Carl #120168 2010-07-01 18:27
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
OK. I do not this this is off-topic and it has puzzled me for a while:

If you set the HD621 to upsample or to downsample (in effect, those are the only settings), how do you know what the incoming stream actually is?


Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Kal, you don't. I really wish that Meridian had put a display on it. I guess that information *might* be available via RS232 if Meridian enabled it (or told us how to enable it).


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
It'll be visible on the display of the forthcoming G18 which will do all the HD621 does and much more besides.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Ludwig #120174 2010-07-01 19:02
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Sorry, I just can't resist making trouble sometimes.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Kal, you don't. I really wish that Meridian had put a display on it. I guess that information *might* be available via RS232 if Meridian enabled it (or told us how to enable it).

I think the best way to setup is.

HD621 should ALWAYS upsample on everything.

HD621 with 861V6 only run video sources through it and audio straight to 861V6.
HD621 with 861V4/G68 only run video sources through it and audio straight to 861V4/G68. Yes same as 861V6.

It's not worth the trouble/gain of running audio through HD621. It can't handle ripped DTS/DD music, it does not add anything to Hi-Res Music, and it does not add that much to 16/44 audio anyway.

Meridian has hinted at this a few times here and there and now I'm convinced they are right. They have never recommended coercing your audio through it. You'll be all set WHEN G68V1/861V4 gets possibly better apodizing than HD621 and it's a no brainer for 861V6.

Now if your main source is the same for Movies and Music. You might be able to setup a dual HDMI SPDIF connection but I think in most situations you can't. If your source material is already hi-res apodizing won't apply in HD621 or 861V6. So it won't matter. Only combo that doesn't work optimally is a combo unit (e.g. Oppo over HDMI into HD621->861V6) when playing a CD. If you have the bucks for that get another CD spinner (easy to equal an Oppo for CD or just about any Music Server for that matter).

So with that said, who cares what the source data rate is.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
As I have just made the plunge for an 861v6 (who needs two kidneys anyway!) this is interesting. I currently have my v4 going through the HD621 to get apodizing. I am also able to play 176.4 and 192 Khz files (albeit downsampled) with no problem and multichannel files (granted the only multichannel files I have are some demos I downladed from Itrax.) If I go from the PC directly into the v6 will it still downsample the 176.4 and 192 Khz files? And as for multichannel I haven't found a sound card that outputs 3 digital RCA connections for the 861. I'll probably leave both connections to compare and for the rare multichannel or super hi res file I can use the HD621. Hopefully the 861v6 will support up to 192 Khz in the future.

Thanks,
John


861v8, HD621, 7.1 analog speakers.
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Originally Posted by George Mills
HD621 should ALWAYS upsample on everything.
Agreed.

Quote
It's not worth the trouble/gain of running audio through HD621.
Almost all my important audio sources are mch HDMI, anyway.

Quote
Only combo that doesn't work optimally is a combo unit (e.g. Oppo over HDMI into HD621->861V6) when playing a CD. If you have the bucks for that get another CD spinner (easy to equal an Oppo for CD or just about any Music Server for that matter).
Server goes direct to 861 but the Oppo/Sony/Ayre players go via the HD621. Perhaps that will be modified when my v6 arrives.

Quote
So with that said, who cares what the source data rate is.
Because I need to know about what the players output in order to report it to readers who care because they, right or wrong, want to base purchase decisions on it.

Kal

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 2010-07-01 20:07.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by demoleon
As I have just made the plunge for an 861v6 (who needs two kidneys anyway!) this is interesting. I currently have my v4 going through the HD621 to get apodizing. I am also able to play 176.4 and 192 Khz files (albeit downsampled) with no problem and multichannel files (granted the only multichannel files I have are some demos I downladed from Itrax.) If I go from the PC directly into the v6 will it still downsample the 176.4 and 192 Khz files? And as for multichannel I haven't found a sound card that outputs 3 digital RCA connections for the 861. I'll probably leave both connections to compare and for the rare multichannel or super hi res file I can use the HD621. Hopefully the 861v6 will support up to 192 Khz in the future.

Thanks,
John

I think 861V6 will still down sample.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by George Mills
HD621 with 861V6 only run video sources through it and audio straight to 861V6.
HD621 with 861V4/G68 only run video sources through it and audio straight to 861V4/G68. Yes same as 861V6.

It's not worth the trouble/gain of running audio through HD621. It can't handle ripped DTS/DD music, it does not add anything to Hi-Res Music, and it does not add that much to 16/44 audio anyway.

Meridian has hinted at this a few times here and there and now I'm convinced they are right. They have never recommended coercing your audio through it. You'll be all set WHEN G68V1/861V4 gets possibly better apodizing than HD621 and it's a no brainer for 861V6.

Before I received my 861 V6 I thought that I would be doing what George is suggesting and run separate audio from my Oppo into the 861v6.

When I tested this I found that I far preferred the sound of redbook CD's from the Oppo via HDMI and the HD621 rather than direct digital coax into the 861.

Perhaps this doesn't apply when using Meridian spinners rather than the Oppo but I was unable to compare as I traded in my 800 some time ago


861v8+ID41 Revelation One filter, HD621, Musical Fidelity M8 700 mono blocks, Focal Scala (x2), Focal Mini Utopia (x3), Velodyne DD18, Oppo BD105, Roon NUC, 218, Radiance 2021, JVC X9000
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Richard W), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.310s Queries: 40 (0.256s) Memory: 0.8900 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 09:17:26 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS