logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
I'm not going to worry about that until I have a better room.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
OMG this appears to be true the G68 new with current firmware v. 1.44 is only 5.1 discrete. Two months ago I began a major upgrade on my system. Among other things I wanted the full 7.1 experience. I decided to acquire a Classe SSP 800. A Meridian dealer friend (possibly soon to be ex-friend) pushed for a Meridian sale. He clearly knew I wanted 7.1 discrete. He sold me side speakers and installed them. I purchase the required extra 2 channel amp on Audiogon. I bought several 7.1 channel blu-rays in anticipation. I saw the pictures of the rear of the unit. Output 8x analogue balanced XLR: Main L, Main R, Side L, Side R, Rear L, Rear R, Centre, Sub. On the HD621 I see HDMI and 8 digital outs. And now for the rub. I look at the inputs on the G68 an see a sea of inputs and I don't look any closer. In the literature I read about the 8 channels of output. Wow, I have a $10500 knot in my stomach as I prepare to call my dealer.



My Kit: Trinnov Altitude 32,Oppo BDP 203, Sony 600es, Martin Logan Neoliths Mains with VTL Siegfried II's, ML CLX's, ML Renaissance, 5 ML Theaters,13 ML Vanquish, 6 ML Edges, 6 ML Axis' 8 Velodyne DD-18+'s, Pass Labs 600.8,Pass Labs 160.8, Pass labs 160.5, Bryston 14B-SST, 6B-SST,6 Bryston 9BSST^2's, 14' Stewart Screen, Berkely Alpha DAC RS
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
But it will still sound better than the Class�, and that is from a Class� fan. wink



No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 326
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 326
I can see why you'd be annoyed though, that sounds like blatant mis-selling or bad product knowledge, though whether you'll get anything out of him I don't know.


Lounge: LG 55B6v, Some Denon receiver, Anthony Gallo Reference AV mains, Totem Dreamcatcher centre, SVS PC-4000, AppleTV4K
Office: Audioquest Dragonfly, Cyrus 6DAC, Monitor Audio CPW Gold
Headphones: NuForce HDP, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD6XX, B&O H6mk2
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by GaryArthur
Wow, I have a $10500 knot in my stomach as I prepare to call my dealer.
Let us know how the dealer responds to your disappointment.


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by David Haworth
yes, but the 861V6 takes the MMHR input doesn't it? I'm referring to the four coax sockets. if they put four on, then surely they must be expecting that fourth one to be used somewhere, otherwise why not just put three coax sockets on? and they can't seriously expect users to be using a HD621 to directly drive a 7.1 setup without a processor. For them to put that fourth socket heavily implies (to me) that they intend to release/update a processor than can accept all four.

As an owner of the 861v6, I'm all for it getting premium features, however, a 7.1 input seems like it ought to be table-stakes - for a $10K processor like G68 to not have 8-ch input capability is a pretty significant shortcoming.

Regarding HD621, remember, it was as much a backward-compatible solution to HDMI as a forward looking one. Since it needed to have 3xSPDIF anyhow, presumably adding a 4th involved minimal cost and provided some 'just in case' insurance. I had a Bluray player modified for 4XSDIF (rather than 3) for similar reasons.

Perhaps G68 will be modified with a 4th coax - seems to me M need to give it 8-ch input cpability somehow or risk marginalizing the product.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 1,567
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 1,567
Quote
today there are 200 movies with 7.1 sound and I think they are destined to increase in future.

Toy Story 3 is the first movie to be mixed with a true 7.1 soundtrack. The studios also consider it to be the first 7.1 Blu-ray disc feature film. Some of the AIX stuff might be true 7.1, but AIX does not produce feature films. smile

The entire 7.1 story from Meridian is pretty disappointing. A lot of Meridian owners in my area have been moving over to Anthem since the v6 announcement.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
I spent more than an hour today talking to my dealer/friend and we still remain friends. He was not deliberately trying to mislead me regarding the G68 7.1 capabilities. I had told him that having great 2 channel was number one for me but I also wanted 7.1. When we discussed 7.1 he was considering the Meridian software generated 7.1 as acceptable. But of course it would have been nice if he explained that it was not discrete 7.1. That combined with the misleading literature and I was unable to figure out that the G68 is really a 5.1+ controller. I do prefer the sound of the Meridian to the Classe so in that respect I am in agreement with what the previous Classe "fan" said. However, the Anthem was on my short list and since I thought I had the best solution for me, I did not give the Anthem a full consideration.

I sent a letter of complaint regarding the literature to Meridian-America. It made me feel better. (even if it went to the dead letter office)


Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by GaryArthur
I sent a letter of complaint regarding the literature to Meridian-America. It made me feel better. (even if it went to the dead letter office)

Sorry my 58 years are showing. Let me bring this up to date.

I sent an email complaining about the misleading literature to Meridian-America. It made me feel better. (even if it hit the spam shreader)

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Quote
But it will still sound better than the Class�, and that is from a Class� fan
Originally Posted by GaryArthur
I do prefer the sound of the Meridian to the Classe so in that respect I am in agreement with what the previous Classe "fan" said. However, the Anthem was on my short list and since I thought I had the best solution for me, I did not give the Anthem a full consideration.
Lemme get this straight - both of you guys prefer the G68 to the Classe 800? I'm not arguing or anything, I've never heard the Classe, but know its reputation. I have a G68J, and I'd be chuffed if it was better than that.

As it happens I'm listening to the G68 and an Anthem D2V at the moment, which is an interesting comparison.

Nick

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 114
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Online: Content
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 114
Likes: 4
This may have been covered before, but I was wondering how discrete 7.1 from the studio is?

I can see an argument for discretely recorded 7.1 being discretely reproduced.

But, presumably, most movie soundtracks are electronically generated & then electronically processed into 5.1, 7.1 or other. 5.1 correctly re-processed into 7.1 by the user might be as good, then, as discrete 7.1.

Can anyone clarify this?

Locus


Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Locus
But, presumably, most movie soundtracks are electronically generated & then electronically processed into 5.1, 7.1 or other. 5.1 correctly re-processed into 7.1 by the user might be as good, then, as discrete 7.1.

Presumably, it is about how the soundtrack is mixed - for 5.1 vs. 7.1. I've no idea how many tracks are available to the sound mixer (many more than 8 I'd wager) but if those tracks are mixed into 8 channels then I would expect some benefit to having a disccrete 7.1 capability. If the 7.1 track is simply processed from an existing 5.1 version then I agree that a re-processing inside the Meridian would be fine.

A prior post mentionned that Toy Story 3 will be the first major film to get a soundtrack discretely mixed for 8 channels - I'd see no reason why that would not become the norm.

Does anyone know how the theaters would handle 8 channels - or even if they could? My local theaters mostly have a set of surround speakers running up both sides of the room - but I think they all reproduce the same channel.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (StuWils), 661 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.147s Queries: 40 (0.109s) Memory: 0.8900 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 09:56:02 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS