|
|
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 219
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 219 |
I have been debating this upgrade as many of you have been. When I talked to my dealer, the timing was perfect: another person was looking for an 808.2 and a three way deal was made. I am getting an 808.3 for an obscenely low cost and I just couldn't refuse. Unfortunately I will not be able to keep the 808.2 for any side by side listening. Nevertheless, I'm very excited and am now waiting on a call regarding the time frame involved.
I am also getting a Sooloos ensemble ( it has the outputs to eventually provide for distributed audio as well as direct input to the 808.3) to begin ripping my collection (again) and to take full advantage of the ID40 input. Currently I use a Kaleidescape music server into the 808.2 via coax digital. It sounds quite good as it is a direct, uncompressed copy of the CD, but I will be interested in comparing it to the Sooloos and to the 808.3 as a spinner. In the future I will replace the music on the Kaleidescape system with movies so it will still be very useful.
Wayne
System 1: 861v6+ID40, UHD722, DSP640x2, DSP520C, DSP320x2, DSWx2, Sony XBR-100Z9D, Oppo UDP-203, Kaleidescape, AppleTV 4K System 2: 808.3 upgraded to 808v6, MC200, HD621, DSP8000.2 with SE Upgrade System 3: F80 Currently unused: DSP3200x4, DSP33x2, DSP33C, D1500, DSP420x2, G68ADV, G98DH, HD421
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
Congrates. I think at this level side by side comparisons become diminishing returns. I think part of operating at this level is just trusting Meridian knows what they are doing and just enjoy it.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513 Likes: 1
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513 Likes: 1 |
Wayne,
Congratulations on the deal!
Regarding you're choices for Sooloos components, are you planning on a Control:10? The new iPhone app looks very powerful, but it's not at the same level as the Control:10. The interface is a huge part of the experience. The PC and Mac applications are pretty weak by comparison.
Anyway, you don't need an ensemble to get into the 808.3, so a TwinStore and a Control:10 will get you there unless you want four separate outputs for distributed audio playing different material. You do need an ensemble if you don't get a Control:10, but regardless of that, you will want to plug the 808.3 into the network that hosts your Sooloos system in the same way you would plug in a computer. This will save you an input on the ensemble.
Regards, Bill
Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 219
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 219 |
Thanks Bill,
I'm going to control it by iPhone app and control Mac or PC for now and will go with Control:10 or a rumoured wireless control at some later date once the system is fully integrated. I realize that the current plan will limit my control options now but will look forward to full functionality in the future.
I went with the ensemble now as it will go via ethernet to the 808.3 and will give me distributed (analogue) audio in the future. The TwinStore was my first choice but would have necessitated a Source 5 at a later date and would not allow me to listen to my progress as I load as I will be doing the majority of the CD ripping in a different house than the 808.3 and have no way of connecting to a TwinStore without a Control:10. I will likely add a TwinStore when (not if) the ensemble is full as there are over 2500 CD's to load. I will be sure to back up the ensemble as I go as I hope this is the last time I have to load all these CD's.
Last edited by Wayne; 2010-03-10 20:12. Reason: typo
System 1: 861v6+ID40, UHD722, DSP640x2, DSP520C, DSP320x2, DSWx2, Sony XBR-100Z9D, Oppo UDP-203, Kaleidescape, AppleTV 4K System 2: 808.3 upgraded to 808v6, MC200, HD621, DSP8000.2 with SE Upgrade System 3: F80 Currently unused: DSP3200x4, DSP33x2, DSP33C, D1500, DSP420x2, G68ADV, G98DH, HD421
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268 |
AP that is good info well presented. Thanks and yes thanks also to Meridian. I was very interested in knowing that Meridian was not only forced into modifications but took that as an opportunity to improve the 808.2.
I have no doubts about the technical improvements. But we now have to attempt to hear and evaluate the improvements and factor in our personal matters that will include, eg, finances.
George, my trusting Meridian is something I will also factor in. However, my recent concerns have been about their reported delays with repairs. Maybe the extra effort to get new products to market slows some repairs?
That improved 808.3 bass in a consistent detail coming from Meridian. When Robert Harley of TAS reviewed the 808.2 in 2009 and rated it so, so highly he nevertheless did refer to what he called as a "minor point". The "808.2 bass and dynamics were good, but not state-of-the-art as were other aspects of its presentation". Interesting.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28 |
Hi Wayne
I'm very interested to hear your thinking on Sooloos vs. Kaleidescape: a side-by-side comparison when they are both up and running would be great, but I'm more interested for now in why you chose to get both. I'm currently trying to decide between them, and am leaning towards the Kaleidescape because it handles DVD. So why did you decide on the Sooloos as well? Was it simply the interface and better integration into your system via 808.3?
Thanks
Dom
MD600-->818-->very insecure DSP3100s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 219
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 219 |
Hi Dom,
I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I will give you my reasoning for the change from Kaleidescape to Sooloos for music. I've had the Kaleidescape system for a few years now and in my current primary residence it is used strictly for DVD. It is GREAT! It's one of the best, most enjoyable AV products I've owned and used. In designing our future retirement residence I was trying to decide on a distributed audio system and as I already owned a K system and would eventually integrate it into the new residence, it made sense to buy a small server to suit my music needs. It works well, but really needs to be connected to a TV display to take full advantage of its interface. I have an iPhone app that also controls it, but neither it, nor Crestron, are nearly the match as far as interfaces go. The AMG guide can be hit and miss (10% wrong in my case) and the K software makes it difficult to correct some aspects of these errors without inputing everything manually. Some discs of a multiple disc set may not be recognized properly and there is no way to get them together, even manually. I hope that the same AMG guide in Sooloos is somehow better. I have also noticed that with 2300 albums (a number are multiple disc) the response can be slow. I am not sure if this is a result of the # of albums or a network issue. The K system at my other home is loaded with 1500 DVD's and is fast and reliable.
In the new residence I later (after distributed audio was all set up) made the decision to make a loft area into a 2 channel listening room and make the leap to the 808i.2 and the 7200's. Great system! I was a little disappointed that the 808i.2 was superseded so quickly but I did manage a great deal to make the upgrade. That was when I felt it would be worth the effort to change to the Sooloos. It will go directly into the 808.3 at the top quality level and will eventually integrate into my distributed audio system. I will eventually convert the K server into a DVD server and consolidate that server with the others from my other residence. The advantage of the K system is that it can do both. It really is the music system software that got me to look at other systems.
I do look forward to a side by side as both music servers will be up and running for quite a while. One is a bit for bit copy of the CD, the other is lossless compression.They both should be apodised in the 808.3, one via network input into ID40, the other into a coax digital input. It will likely be a number of months before I can report on this as I will be loading the Sooloos ensemble in my older residence and hopefully bringing it to the newer residence in the summer.
Regards,
Wayne
System 1: 861v6+ID40, UHD722, DSP640x2, DSP520C, DSP320x2, DSWx2, Sony XBR-100Z9D, Oppo UDP-203, Kaleidescape, AppleTV 4K System 2: 808.3 upgraded to 808v6, MC200, HD621, DSP8000.2 with SE Upgrade System 3: F80 Currently unused: DSP3200x4, DSP33x2, DSP33C, D1500, DSP420x2, G68ADV, G98DH, HD421
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513 Likes: 1
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513 Likes: 1 |
On more of a personal triumph, I was able to do this by extending my home network to my detached garage using a combination of Apple Airport Extreme Base Stations. My Sooloos Ensemble is in the house and I connected the house and garage with an 802.11n wireless connection. I have to listen some more but I'm optimistic that I won't need to run a wire. Psyche! I'm digging up this thread to provide an update on my wireless solution. It appears that it is not totally immune to drop outs. I have had a few freeze ups of the Control:10 in my listening room that have not been experienced in the house. They are infrequent, but they are present. Therefore, I've called an electrician to come and run a wire between my house and my garage. It was a nice try though.
Regards, Bill
Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|