logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
This month's (printed) 'What-HiFi' features a comparative review on several DAC's, including the Meridian Director...

...in which it is just edged-out for top honours by the Arcam irDAC.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Likes: 3
Yes, "takes its eye off the actual flow and rhythm of the music". "Unrivalled for its detail" but not as much "fun". Is it a sell?


Main system: NUC, Roon, Network Acoustics Ag ENO/cable, 218, 5200SE, Townsend Podium, Sennheiser HD820/800s, Sennheiser HDVA 820 amp.
Mobile: Explorer, IE800
Kitchen: MS200, F80
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Sounds a bit like pseuds' corner to me.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
That sounds like What Hifi's description of most Meridian kit in recent years. Like Hifi News, I think they're just not into the Meridian house sound.

Cheers

George

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
I remember a What HiFi review of the DSP6000's in the long distant past. Their negative at that time was the 6000s made the music sound a little bit 'too good'.



Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Is that a euphemism for Meridian doesn't bung us cash?

I'm not saying that the Meridian sound is perfect: the foot-tapping factor of the old 18-bitters is testament to that (which I've been wondering if it's a psychoacoustic consequence of "too much detail" putting the brain in a "different mode").


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
I just helped a colleague to get a demo unit. He's not an M user.

His feedback to me was simply "WOW!"

He is now an M user.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 65
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 65
Mind you, I wonder if What HiFi have learnt what the purpose of a DAC is yet. Holy thread resurrection: how What Hifi think a DAC should be used circa 2009

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
I stopped paying any attention to WHF a long, long, time ago, although a couple of years ago I did try the M-DAC they were raving so much about. To say it's the most uninvolving and unmusical source component I have ever heard would be an understatement - fortunately I only had it on dem, so it went back after a week of trying to understand what all the fuss is about. The only positive in this is I widened my search and 'rediscovered' Meridian wink

I think some of the criticism of a slightly cerebral quality in certain 00's era Meridian gear might be justified - I was once loaned an 800 while my 808.2 was in for repair and I did find it rather uninvolving, whereas I remember from dems in my youth that 500 series digital was wonderfully musical, if not quite as refined and overtly detailed as the later gear?

Happily, to my ears, they seem to have hit a sweet spot with the later 800 series at least (I can't speak to G-series having not heard any) - the 808.2 and particularly 818v2 do a wonderful job of being detailed, clean AND musical.


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 547
Tim Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 547
Joel,
I'd be interested to hear a bit more about your thoughts regarding the psychoacoustic aspects?
Feel free to move to a new thread if it's going off topic.
cheers
Tim


RoPieee Allo DigiOne Signature, 561, DSP5000, DSP33, SW1600, M3.
HH1 Number 48
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
I think that sounds interesting too, it might explain something I've noticed with some equipment over a period of years, and I'd welcome a theory to begin to explain it...


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 37 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8726 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 03:54:06 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS