Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77865 - 2008-08-24 22:46 Any Ekornes Stressless owners here?
VinceHoffman Offline
Paranoid android
VinceHoffman Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Hey all,

Looking for very comfortable reclining seating for listening/viewing. These will replace the low back fabric sofa we currently use (pictured below).

My spouse is really set on HT recliners with built-in cup holders n' all. Me, not so much. As the room is for critical listening as well as movies, I'm not psyched about high back over-stuffed leather(/ette) seating with headrests which wrap around your ears- Far from ideal from an acoustics perspective! After some research I came across Ekornes Stressless and their Arion 2007 seating here. I'm thinking that though a leather covered chair is less ideal acoustically than a porous fabric one, the Arion's complex curved and angled shape will tend to mitigate the reflective acoustic effects through diffraction.

My wife and I visited the local Ekornes dealer today and were blown away by the comfort, style, and build quality but... She insists upon the high back version with its adjustable headrest while for audiogeek-uber-all reasons, I'd prefer the low back version. Fortunately, I discovered that with the seat in the upright position and the headrest in its lowest position, the headrest ended barely above shoulder height on my 5-10" frame, well below my ears. If you watch the flash animation in the provided link above for a few moments you'll see the three seat high-backed configuration in white with it's pair of "Sector" wedges which we are contemplating. I figure the curved three seat array would look pretty stunning finished in black leather and natural beech wood in our room. I'm thinking we have a winner but I'd really like to hear from any other 'Hikers that may be using Ekornes seating prior to laying out the non-trivial purchase price. Thanks.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Man Cave- Surround: 861v4.25, HD621, 598DP & Oppo BDP103
Stereo: DEQX Premate, PS Audio PWT, Oracle Delphi V/SME V/Benz Ref & Audiomat Phono1
5x or 2x ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 actives, 4x Seaton Submersive HP subs, Xilica DCP3060 sub EQ
JVC RS-2, Schneider anamorphic lens & sled, & 105" motorized 2.37:1 AT screen

Loft: Lots of older M gear & actives.
#77868 - 2008-08-25 03:50 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: VinceHoffman]
Fiddler Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Fiddler Offline

Loc: Northeastern, USA
The Ekornes stuff is awesome stuff. We almost bought the stressless sofa (buckingham this was one of the lowest backed stressless ones) but decided on the non stessless one becuase we both love the look of the model we picked out (oslo). We plan to get one of the stressless chairs. The high vs low back was a concern of mine as well audio wise.

We were both concerned that the non stressless would not be comfy. I tend to slouch very badly in our old sofa which looked a lot like you photo above. I'm happy that I no longer slouch nearly as much. It makes you want to sit right.

I actually wanted to get just two stressless chairs and nothing else but my wife wouldn't go for it.

Their home theater line was a little to modern for us but extremely well made and very expensive (it was like $12,000 for 4 seats with wedges, ottamans etc).

Absolutely great stuff.

If anyone is curious of what stressless is check out this infomercial.

http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless/product_features/liste/the_glide_system/

- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#77869 - 2008-08-25 07:54 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: Fiddler]
spinaltap Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
spinaltap Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Bournville, UK
I purchased two Stressless 'Tampa' recliners and a Stressless 'Eldorado' reclining sofa a couple of years ago.

There's nothing like them on the market: I couldn't live with anything else. Strongly recommended. The recliners support every last inch of your body. You can increase the height of the recliners with an additional 'ring', if you wish (useful if you're particularly tall). The comfort is added to by the accompanying foot-stool.

My brother has owned his two Stressless recliners for the past 20 years and they're still going strong.

You're right about their negative acoustic impact on your audio system, though. Happily, this was sorted by my system's room correction (and a sub).

My Mac can go all the way to XI - Mac user since 1988.
Meridian owner since 1993.
#77871 - 2008-08-25 08:23 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: spinaltap]
MalcolmW Offline
Knows where his towel is
MalcolmW Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Hampshire/Wiltshire Borders, U...
I have the proverbial (minimalist?) two Stressless Senators and I agree that they are very comfortable and superbly made.

The high backs are an issue but, in truth, if you slouch in a normal chair the rear paths are compromised anyway.

Malcolm
#77878 - 2008-08-25 10:44 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: MalcolmW]
Mark_H Offline
Knows where his towel is
Mark_H Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: South West, UK
I used Stressless in my old cinema - it was pretty comfortable but as mentioned, the high backs were an issue as they not only block the rear sound but affect the front sound too when your head is relaxed into them. My current seats (EliteHT) do not obstruct the head at all and still allow you to very comfortably recline with total support.

Mark

#77880 - 2008-08-25 11:54 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: Mark_H]
Rodders Offline
Paranoid android
Rodders Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Nr. Chester, UK
I have a couple of 'Captains'chairs and matching footstools (essential) also a 3 seater 'Rio' sofa which the family hate because of its individual seat shaping which doesn't allow you to lie across it comfortably. They are now 7 years old and I have recently ordered an new stressless top of the range (can't recall the name) chair/footrest combination for myself and more conventional sofa/armchair seating for everybody else! Build quality is not quite what you would expect for the price though as I have had to have the sofa repaired (poorly and took over a year to accomplish) and my chair is now on its last legs as one of the side bolts is loose. Hey.... but such is the comfort I ordered another one!

Rod

818v3, MC200, QNAP TS269L, 7200SE, ARCAM AVR380, REL B2, Panasonic BD 80, LG OLED, SBox Transporter, iPad, F80.
#77885 - 2008-08-25 16:17 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: ]
Mr Meridian Offline
Mr Meridian Offline

Loc: Perthshire, Scotland
Lovely stuff, but decided it was just too thunderingly expensive. I was also a bit concerned that it's minimalist frame style would allow any untamed bass to be bouncing around (no MRC here), so we've just bought conventionally designed chairs and a sofa.

Cheers

George

#77887 - 2008-08-25 18:18 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: Mr Meridian]
rblnr Offline
Paranoid android
rblnr Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: NJ/NYC, USA
We've got the three across Ekornes Paradise sofa -- the most comfortable of the Ekornes we tried, though all are good. At 6'2", my ears are still a few inches over our high-backed version w/headrests in the down position. A little bit tighter to my ears than I wanted, but chose comfort over possible audio issues, though my surrounds at 6'6" have a clean shot to my head.

I don't like formal theater seating, meaning fixed armrests. Like just to plop w/my family, no regimentation and want to be able to lie across at times.. Did a pretty thorough search and there were just a couple of brands that had retractable armrests when we bought at the beginning of the year, though more are coming. The Fortress stuff has this feature and is fantastic quality, but even w/a discount almost twice as expensive as Stressless. Ekornes makes dedicated side tables with cutouts on the base so that they slide around the wood feet of the sofa and into a very handy position. The matching ottoman that provides storage, expands in length, and has a removable wood centerpiece for eating or whatever is nice too.

Have a Stressless recliner that's held up well over many years, one of the few bachelor pieces that made it into my married domicile.

Can pass you a pic of the sofa in the room if you'd like.

Edited by rblnr; 2008-08-25 18:31.
#78008 - 2008-08-28 15:54 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: rblnr]
Holtz! Offline
Hitchhiker
Holtz! Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Cheshire, UK
I bought my 'Ekornes Stressless' way back in '79.
It served me well for 25 years, by when I decided it was time for a new chair.
I felt that I needed a massage chair and after trying several, from different manufacturers, settled on and bought an 'HTT Massaging Recliner' from Germany.

Within days I came to regret giving away my beloved 'Stressless' as I found the HTT uncomfortable with prolonged everyday use. However I struggled on, determined to tame the beast, over the next three years until I finally gave in and once again started the search for my ideal chair.
My first port of call was of course for the 'Ekornes Stressless', this time though the models just didn't feel as I had remembered the original. (Or perhaps my memory had withered whereas my arse, and weight, had flourished.)

By the end of a yearlong search I had made my choice and I now 'watch & view' from the comfort of a 'Keyton Concept SensorFT2' with wireless remote control.
I'm happy, snug and comfortable reclining in it, but somehow nothing will replace the experience of my favorite chair, the 1979 'Ekornes Stressless'.

The Keyton Concept SensorFT2

So the moral is:~
When out shopping for a recliner, do spend as much time as you possibly can just sitting and relaxing in it, and do it on as many occasions as needed until you are certain of your choice.

You buy in haste but regret at leisure.

Holtz'.

#78018 - 2008-08-28 18:49 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: Holtz!]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

Loc: Colchester, Essex, UK
Congrats on your new chair, it looks great and has set hearts pulsing in Layer with SWMBO.
Any indication of the price region would be a help to either quash on envigorate the dreams of many.

Cheers, Chris smile

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall.
MC200 500GB, QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into 2 MS200's. Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596 v1.89.2, 518, G61R, M60.2 Rosewood, M33C, M33 Rears, M1500 Sub, Foxsat HD, Sony Blu Ray, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
#78019 - 2008-08-28 19:02 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
Holtz! Offline
Hitchhiker
Holtz! Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Originally Posted By: chrislayeruk
Any indication of the price region would be a help to either quash on envigorate the dreams of many.

MRRP is about 3800.
I managed 40% off, on a slow day.
That breaks down as:~
Zero VAT, for being disabled and then approx. 30% discount.

Holtz'.

#78031 - 2008-08-28 21:53 Re: Any Ekornes Stressless owners here? [Re: Holtz!]
Mr Meridian Offline
Mr Meridian Offline

Loc: Perthshire, Scotland
Originally Posted By: Holtz'.
(Or perhaps my memory had withered whereas my arse, and weight, had flourished.)

Quote of the month...marvellous! grin

Cheers

George

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
1 registered (Gcap), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cinema_Guy, gmamarov, AnalogueMan, Fravilaro, MadScientist
4688 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
CMB Integrations - Bruce 33
Gwho 26
ChrisLayerUK 24
Mr Meridian 24
ChrisSwain 23
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12413
Fiddler 8667
ncpl 8470
Carl 7790
Ian 7568
Forum Stats
4,688 Registered Members
18 Forums
25,597 Topics
258,274 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant