Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#284644 - 2019-04-13 00:25 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
CMB Integrations - Bruce Online content
Meridian Partner Knows where his towel is
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Lexington, South Carolina, USA
Oh I can😀

www.cmbintegrations.com

System #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 808v6, DSP8000SEUG, DSP7200SEHC, Revel B112, Monitor Audio Silver 10, Paradigm 85F, ATI 200WX7 Amp, JVC RS15, Shunyata Triton V3, Sigma power cables, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. QNAP TS-251 3TB, Roon Nucleus.

System #2 Mark Levinson No515, No5805, Revel F228be.

#284668 - 2019-04-13 19:46 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: CMB Integrations - Bruce]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hampshire, UK
smile

DSP7200SE's, 818v3, Antipodes CX.
Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR, PS Audio P5 (for 818), 2xSotM sNH-10G.
[Using a mix of Alpha NR, Delta NR power cables + SotM and AudioQuest Diamond interconnects.]
#284681 - 2019-04-14 15:05 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

A quick update, as I posted my first comments on the Typhon QR shortly after receiving it.

I've now had the Typhon QR running for a few days now and I have to say it is absolutely stunning. This is a complete revelation with instruments sounding like someone is playing the actual instrument in the same room room as you (so real, it actually feels slightly bizarre at first). I think I mentioned the soundstage has also improved, it's very easy to tell where each instrument is in a very natural, unforced way.

Highly recommended (given the Denali uses much the same technology albeit in a slightly cut down way, I suspect the Denali would be very beneficial too). The next part of my journey is to sort out the room acoustics between 25 and 400Hz (interestingly, while Meridian claim 35Hz-30,000Hz within 3dB, REW is showing that in reality the response in my room goes down to 25Hz within 3dB, but this could be related to a resonance at 50Hz and a void at around 60Hz).

PS While many other changes to my system have contributed to the overall improvements in SQ, I think this has made me realise that getting the power conditioning right is far more important than I realised even part-way through this journey.

[Using a mix of Alpha NR, Delta NR power cables + SotM and AudioQuest Diamond interconnects.]
#284683 - 2019-04-14 15:21 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
Albert Offline
Paranoid android
Albert Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Shanghai, China
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to your "journey with room treatment".

HT: Audiocom LX800CE W/HD621 861v8, DSP7200SEup DSP5200SEVCup, DSP5200SE(side),DSP5200sl(rear)
Revel sub30*2 AntimodeX4 JVC NX7
Lot of GIK panels
#285544 - 2019-05-27 07:49 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Albert]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Devon, UK
I have been getting very impressive results from installing new supports under my 808 and Oppo. Details of the Quiescent Zenith Couplers are here.

#285634 - 2019-05-30 08:12 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Originally Posted By Jeremy A-H
I’ve decided, after a few days of listening to the GAIA isolators on my 7200’s, that I understated just how good they are. To my mind, the performance improvement is probably as great as going from an 818v2 to a v3.

Definitely worth trying... Just remember the DSP’s only have three feet, so you may have to go up one level on the GAIA scale (in my case from the II’S to I’s, which are on the way). My testing has been on the (currently overloaded) GAIA II’s.

Do you have to specify screw size and thread type so that the new feet can be screwed in to the speakers? Do all DSP speaker feet (i.e. from model to model) require the same size screws and thread? Thanks.

#285636 - 2019-05-30 09:27 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Asa Post]
Meridian Partner Knows where his towel is
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Lexington, South Carolina, USA
Yes, DSP7200 and 8000 are M10 thread and 5200 are M8

www.cmbintegrations.com

System #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 808v6, DSP8000SEUG, DSP7200SEHC, Revel B112, Monitor Audio Silver 10, Paradigm 85F, ATI 200WX7 Amp, JVC RS15, Shunyata Triton V3, Sigma power cables, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. QNAP TS-251 3TB, Roon Nucleus.

System #2 Mark Levinson No515, No5805, Revel F228be.

#285637 - 2019-05-30 09:55 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: CMB Integrations - Bruce]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Many thanks, Bruce, for the helpful information.

#285638 - 2019-05-30 09:58 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Asa Post]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Originally Posted By Asa Post
I have been getting very impressive results from installing new supports under my 808 and Oppo. Details of the Quiescent Zenith Couplers are here.
Thanks to Ratbert I learn that the link is broken. I have found that the "create a link to webpage" button is not working. Please try this link https://quiescent-technologies.com/.

#285639 - 2019-05-30 11:43 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Asa Post]
Ratbert Offline
Vogon Civil Servant
Ratbert Offline
Vogon Civil Servant

Loc: Europe
Here is the working link.

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.
—————————————
If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.
#285643 - 2019-05-30 16:39 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Ratbert]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Thanks

#286315 - 2019-07-12 01:22 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Asa Post]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

I promised to update those following this thread with the next step of my experiential journey where I wanted to address the acoustics of the room. It’s taken a bit longer to get here than I’d expected, partly due to the fact that room acoustics is not an area I had any real experience in before now and partly due to extensive travel (which I also enjoy - even if it is work) over the past few months.

Where I have purchased something that I feel has helped, I've included the manufacturer's name not to advertise them, but try and give everyone a frame of reference as sound boards etc can vary drastically from one manufacturer to another.

For those of you wondering how I was getting on, here’s what I discovered along the way:

1) There were two related, but unexpected discoveries before I go into the room treatment itself:

a. The first was that buying an Eames replica chair (from Iconic Interiors) indirectly improved the sound dramatically, I suspect because its lower seating position suited the DSP7200’s better (it’s also extremely comfortable and I have been unable to find any difference between this and the US version of the original Eames chair now made under license by Herman Miller. I still wish it had a proper head rest, but as a piece of art that just happens to be extremely comfortable and I’m very happy);

I’m not sure whether the change in SQ was caused by moving the listening position in relation to the bookshelf (you’re about to discover later got given the axe), but it shows how much of a difference positioning makes (in this case, while it’s difficult to put an absolute number of what is something quite emotive, I’d say almost sitting on the floor gave a sold 20% improvement in the soundstage).

b. The second surprise was, having looked at £2k+ Hi-Fi stands, I felt that – while I’m open to be proven otherwise – the system was unlikely to benefit from this kind of investment over and above the IsoAcoustics feet I’m already using. So, for now, I’ve bought a heavy, solid wood coffee table with the intention of putting feet under it, which I haven’t done yet, but blow me, the sound improved hugely with a *much* better sense of depth. My best guess is that this has nothing to do with vibrations, but the height of the previous unit was allowing sound from the speakers to reflect at the listening position, creating an additional first reflection point. Moral: If your HiFi rack is higher than your mid-range cone, you may want to rethink this!

2) As for the room itself, possibly because I’m a little OCD and like to have all my books lined up, having a bookshelf to the left of the listening position and as a first reflection point turned out to be really quite bad.

I’ve learnt that the idea is to dampen internal reflections, so that they don’t overwhelm the reflections in the recorded music (making it possible to hear the acoustics of the recording and not those of your own room!). I also discovered you can easily over-dampen the room, however you can diffuse reflections to get around this, which a bookshelf is meant to do. In my case, it didn’t do a very good job of this.

Replacing the bookshelf with a vertical case, gave me less room for books, but means I can avoid it becoming a first reflection point. Replacing the (now empty space) along the wall with two stacked 1" thick sound boards from Soundsorba has made the soundstage a lot more stable and the positioning of instruments more accurate. Maybe an additional 15% improvement (over and above moving the listening position down), but definitely noticable and worthwhile.

[As an aside, I’m also using Soundsorba boards to cover the granite-like fireplace (possibly quartzite), as that does nothing for acoustics either! I also have a heavy-weight woollen acoustic curtain over the window on the right of the room].

3) I have a room resonance at just over 50Hz and a void a few Hz higher up. I tried to absorb the excess energy using the Acoustica Applicata Daad units.

What I discovered is that they don’t absorb energy so much, but instead spread the energy in in the time domain. It turns out that, for me, the Daad 3’s work well as diffusers (you can turn them in order to adjust their diffuser/time delay properties), but the Daad 4’s didn’t solve my problem of excess bass energy. It made for a richer sound, but one that felt slightly muffled. I suspect these are very room dependant, but I’ve retained the Daad 3’s as they work well to diffuse the sound reflecting on the front wall, without dampening the room too much. My wife and I both felt the Daad 4’s detracted from the sound in my room, whereas the Daad 3’s are staying! There are cheaper diffusers, though.

I’m going to revisit the topic of bass traps at some point in the future. For now, I’ve set the DSP7200SE’s to work in ‘Wall mode’.

4) The next two stages are going to be: dealing with first reflections from the ceiling. I’ve marked out where the boards need to go and the boards (from GIK Acoustics) are now here, I just need to attach them to the ceiling over the next couple of days; the second is dealing with rear reflections from the windows about 4m behind the listening position. I found some vertical blinds that absorb reflections, but they are currently not being made, if anyone knows where to obtain decent acoustic blinds, please let me know :-) Incidentally, I’ve gone with GIK this time, simply because they are less expensive, it remains to be seen whether they are as good, but while this might seem otherwise, this has never been a ‘money no object’ exercise. I‘ve just been lucky sourcing most items at a sensible price!

In all of this, I’ve tried to retain the aesthetics in the room, but it is a room I’ve been given free rein to do whatever I feel necessary. That said, I hope that some of what I’ve learnt helps others too.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
2 registered (DVD Pete, Caldham), 263 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Macko, StefDriver, AlanS, MBelkin, KiwiM
4784 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ogri 35
CMB Integrations - Bruce 30
Jeremy A-H 21
Ratbert 18
Gianni 18
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12585
Fiddler 8672
ncpl 8534
Carl 7958
Ian 7821
Forum Stats
4,784 Registered Members
18 Forums
26,566 Topics
266,182 Posts

Most users ever online: 523 @ 2019-10-22 09:23
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant