Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#284709 - 2019-04-15 22:46 Odd MD600 symptoms
Gianni Online content
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Online content
Great Green Arkleseizure

Loc: North London, United Kingdom
About 4 years ago I had a problem with my MD600 (running as core/store). One of the white warning lights on the front illuminated indicating a problem with a hard drive.

After much unsuccessful faffing with new drives I resigned myself to running on the old drives with the light on. It worked and /debug showed 6gig of storage (= 2x3gig drives) so the option of running at risk seemed, at the time, better than more mucking about. The system has since been up and running uninterrupted (no reboots or power cycles that I can recall) for four years. Software release is still 2.494 (build 429).

Today nothing would play from the store. The stats show the correct number of albums, "Show Album details" gives basic meta-data and track titles. But the album covers will not show and the albums will not load or play. So presumably one disk has failed and the other is broken from four years ago. Radio stations and TIDAL still work. I can "View Log", "View Status" and "View notifications" but not access the Directory Listing.

But what is weird is the information that is available. Would not track titles and performance statistics be stored on a disk? Why does some information appear and other not? TouchPC allows sorting by Import Date/Release Date/etc. These symptoms seem to suggest corrupted files rather than a failed disk.

Or could this issue be symptomatic of some kind of memory problem? The core has been running for >61 days - the longest I have ever seen.

No attempt has been made to recover from the problem yet. Are there any other tests or information which might inform next steps?

I have a full current back-up and spare drives so not panicking yet - just taking the opportunity to gain further insight into the data architecture.

"Wonderful perfect quadraphonic sound with distortion levels so low as to make a brave man weep" - Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council
#284712 - 2019-04-16 05:41 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Gianni]
Ratbert Offline
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ratbert Offline

Loc: Europe
PM sent.

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.
#284763 - 2019-04-18 17:21 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Ratbert]
Ratbert Offline
Ratbert Offline

Loc: Europe
Any update?

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
4 registered (KTMsteve, Frank Blackfire, CMB Integrations - Bruce, Colin Triggs), 28 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LionHo, Akeemolee, Cambam, Blotto723, Mvukic
4745 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
3dit0r 59
CMB Integrations - Bruce 51
KTMsteve 42
Ian 41
Ratbert 40
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12494
Fiddler 8672
ncpl 8496
Carl 7881
Ian 7733
Forum Stats
4,745 Registered Members
18 Forums
26,128 Topics
262,563 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant