Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#284709 - 2019-04-15 22:46 Odd MD600 symptoms
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

Loc: North London, United Kingdom
About 4 years ago I had a problem with my MD600 (running as core/store). One of the white warning lights on the front illuminated indicating a problem with a hard drive.

After much unsuccessful faffing with new drives I resigned myself to running on the old drives with the light on. It worked and /debug showed 6gig of storage (= 2x3gig drives) so the option of running at risk seemed, at the time, better than more mucking about. The system has since been up and running uninterrupted (no reboots or power cycles that I can recall) for four years. Software release is still 2.494 (build 429).

Today nothing would play from the store. The stats show the correct number of albums, "Show Album details" gives basic meta-data and track titles. But the album covers will not show and the albums will not load or play. So presumably one disk has failed and the other is broken from four years ago. Radio stations and TIDAL still work. I can "View Log", "View Status" and "View notifications" but not access the Directory Listing.

But what is weird is the information that is available. Would not track titles and performance statistics be stored on a disk? Why does some information appear and other not? TouchPC allows sorting by Import Date/Release Date/etc. These symptoms seem to suggest corrupted files rather than a failed disk.

Or could this issue be symptomatic of some kind of memory problem? The core has been running for >61 days - the longest I have ever seen.

No attempt has been made to recover from the problem yet. Are there any other tests or information which might inform next steps?

I have a full current back-up and spare drives so not panicking yet - just taking the opportunity to gain further insight into the data architecture.

"Wonderful perfect quadraphonic sound with distortion levels so low as to make a brave man weep" - Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council
#284712 - 2019-04-16 05:41 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Gianni]
Ratbert Offline
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ratbert Offline

Loc: Europe
PM sent.

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.
—————————————
If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.
#284763 - 2019-04-18 17:21 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Ratbert]
Ratbert Offline
Ratbert Offline

Any update?

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.
—————————————
If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.
#285156 - 2019-05-08 08:30 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Ratbert]
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

Sorry for the lack of follow-up on this. I have some other important commitments so have been struggling along with just TIDAL and TuneIn radio.

This morning I suddenly lost the radio channels. I tried re-adding from TuneIn but they will not stick. I can, however, stream them and stream from my TIDAL favourites.

So I popped into /debug to see what was what and got this:

System.SystemException: The process has exited
at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_ProcessName () [0x00097] in /home/danny/mono-2.4.2.3/mcs/class/System/System.Diagnostics/Process.cs:586
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:get_ProcessName ()
at Sooloos.WebUI.WebDebug.Handle (Sooloos.HttpServer server, Sooloos.HttpRequest request, Sooloos.HttpResponse response) [0x0168a] in /home/leonardo/sooloosdev/Sooloos/Server/webui/debug.cs:408
at Sooloos.WebUI.WebDebug.HandleGet (Sooloos.HttpServer server, Sooloos.HttpRequest request, Sooloos.HttpResponse response) [0x00000] in /home/leonardo/sooloosdev/Sooloos/Server/webui/debug.cs:110
at Sooloos.WebUI.WebUI._server_HandleGet (Sooloos.HttpServer server, Sooloos.HttpRequest request, Sooloos.HttpResponse response) [0x00103] in /home/leonardo/sooloosdev/Sooloos/Server/webui/toplevel.cs:164

Anyone have any thoughts?

Update: now it is showing the normal statistics and information intermittently with the above message. The core has self-rebooted at long last. And no discs are visible but the MD600 core and broker are.

"Wonderful perfect quadraphonic sound with distortion levels so low as to make a brave man weep" - Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council
Edited by Gianni; 2019-05-08 08:36. Edit Reason: Update
#285157 - 2019-05-08 08:40 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Gianni]
Ratbert Offline
Ratbert Offline

Gianni

Is the MD600 being used for core and store?

Do you have another device you could set as core, C10,C15 etc?

If so try changing the core and let us know the results, reboot all Sooloos devices just in case anything has been cached.

It could be a DOM ( disk on module ) failure and or corruption in the MD600, the DOM is where the os lives, if changing core works this would tend to indicate the DOM is the issue, it is a back to Meridian repair I’m afraid frown

Just read your update, a long reboot can be a symptom of a failed or failing disk, I had this issue, no leds on the front panel indicating a disk error, powering up the MD600 the front power led went from blue to white but the MD600 did not appear in Sooloos, I was running a C10 as core for testing purposes, 20 to 30 minutes later it appeared, this was when I moved to a Qnap nas for storage and ran the MD600 as a diskless core, on fitting the disks to the Qnap it reported errors on one disk that had been in the MD600 (I had labelled them) I replaced that disk and restored my backup and the system ran perfectly.
The MD600 is fine when everything is working correctly but I found its diagnostics to be poor at best and nonexistent at worst.

After trying changing core I would try powering down the MD600 and remove one disk at a time and fit it in a USB cradle connected to a Windows pc, they don’t all have Mac versions and download and run the disk manufacturers diagnostic sw, it is non destructive and works irrespective of disk format.

Seatools for Seagate drives

Western Digital diagnostics.

Russ

—————————————
Edited by Ratbert; 2019-05-08 09:42.
#285159 - 2019-05-08 08:54 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Ratbert]
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

Originally Posted By Ratbert
Is the MD600 being used for core and store?

Yes

Do you have another device you could set as core, C10,C15 etc?

No

Looks like I am going to have to do some active diagnostics at some point frown

Ratbert you have PM

#285177 - 2019-05-09 10:09 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Gianni]
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

I had a brief opportunity to try some things.

Set the MD600 to standby by pressing the front panel key. It went to sleep. Woke it up and it started up with the white warning lights for both disks illuminated. I could access the web page via the usual address but then it stopped responding.

Repeated the exercise but including a power cycle via the back panel after shutting down. It has started up and again the two RAID warning lights are illuminated. And I still cannot access the web page.

Two thoughts occur:

- could the IP address have somehow changed?
- can I not use an MD600 without having functional disks loaded?

Update:

Spoke to a local premium partner in London who warned me that Meridian support was "limited" but offered to aid in diagnostics.

So I took out the two failed disks and put in some formatted spares - just to see and ready for his tests... And it has started to work again!

Now to try a restore... lets see how long 2412 albums will take smile And yes I have switched off the energy saving on the laptop.

Edited by Gianni; 2019-05-09 10:45. Edit Reason: Update
#285179 - 2019-05-09 11:18 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Gianni]
Ratbert Offline
Ratbert Offline

I think this is the unfortunate case of a disk failing, the wrong led being lit which means either the incorrect disk being replaced or the led being ignored, then with one dead disk not being indicated as failed the inevitable happens and the second disk fails and the MD600 library ceases to function.
In my experience the MD600 ties itself in knots when it has a working disk with errors or two failed disks, in Gianni’s case he could run the MD600 as a diskless core with the library on a NAS or as he has done replace both disks, reload time is around 1 minute per album so based on that it will be about 40 hours, assuming the laptop is connected via lan rather than wirelessly?

Question?

How many MD600 owners:

Have replaced the incorrect disk as indicated by the led’s 4&5 (I think that is the correct numbers?)

Have an unreported failed disk and are blissfully unaware they are running on just one disk

—————————————
Edited by Ratbert; 2019-05-09 11:23.
#285182 - 2019-05-09 11:33 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Ratbert]
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

I think this is the unfortunate case of a disk failing, the wrong led being lit which means either the incorrect disk being replaced or the led being ignored, then with one dead disk not being indicated as failed the inevitable happens and the second disk fails and the MD600 library ceases to function.

That was the conclusion I came to also.

I should have run the MD600 with no disks as a test but did not think of that.

Current restore rate is 5 minutes per album (using Control:PC - can I use TouchPC and would it be faster?) over a wired network via ethernet over power. It can at least be restarted it if it fails or I have to do something else.

#285183 - 2019-05-09 11:37 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Gianni]
Ratbert Offline
Ratbert Offline

Gianni

Glad you seem to have resolved the issue and are on the recovery path, just 8 days to go eek

—————————————
#285184 - 2019-05-09 12:06 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Ratbert]
Hector Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Hector Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Midlands, UK
Yep, been there, seen it, done it, thanks to Russ I escaped total library loss and recovered all albums.
It would be interesting to know which manufacturers discs you were using Gianni?
Not relevant to MD600 almost non existent diagnostics, however I had a much higher than expected failure rate of 3TB Seagate Barracuda Drives.
My historic experience is concurrent with Gianni's first reported failure of one drive on his MD600.

Hector

AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1LR, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SLLR.
STUDY 504, SB Touch, 2x MD600, C15, 808.6, 5200SE, Mac & PC, Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys
A capella to Zydeco
#285185 - 2019-05-09 12:30 Re: Odd MD600 symptoms [Re: Hector]
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

Originally Posted By Hector
It would be interesting to know which manufacturers discs you were using Gianni?

Yup. 2 x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb came out after failure (and VERY dusty they were). First failure was reporting in ~2015 and the second just so not a bad life for one disk.

I am loading up on Western Digital 3Tb replacements which hopefully are more resilient.

Could it really be that LEDs 4 and 5 are wired the wrong way round in some MD600s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
4 registered (OldDogCan, Vorticity, Velcro22, Nstzya), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Radioham, BrianH, TimSu, n4sa, Huture
4755 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 29
CMB Integrations - Bruce 28
3dit0r 18
VirusKiller 15
Gianni 15
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12518
Fiddler 8672
ncpl 8504
Carl 7896
Ian 7755
Forum Stats
4,755 Registered Members
18 Forums
26,282 Topics
263,639 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant