Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#279059 - 2018-09-20 16:31 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hampshire, UK
I should add two additional thoughts I had about cables. The first is that eBay seems to have several Shunyata Cobra cables at any given point in time and I would imagine these would sound pretty good too.

The other is that I discovered, having added the Diamond cables to my speakers, Redbook audio improved significantly to close the gap somewhat between it and MQA. I'm not sure whether that has something to do with how Meridian transmits MQA over Speakerlink, but an interesting (and pleasant) observation. And might even convince me with the benefit of hindsight to prioritise this upgrade sooner. Again, these cables can be found from time to time on eBay.

DSP7200SE's, 818v3, Antipodes CX, Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon (original version)
[Using a mix of Alpha NR's, Delta NR's, SotM and AudioQuest Diamond cables]
#279061 - 2018-09-20 16:47 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
VirusKiller Offline
Don't Panic
VirusKiller Offline
Don't Panic

Loc: nr. Milton Keynes, UK
Just a warning, but there is a thread on the PS Audio forum in which it is clear that fake PS Audio cables are quite prolific. I have no idea if this is the case with Shunyata, but where there's money to be made...

Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#279062 - 2018-09-20 17:40 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
D4ve84 Offline
Hitchhiker
D4ve84 Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Portland, Dorset, UK
This is really great to read! Sounds like quite a big step forward in all areas 😃

My personal experience with mains (filters, cables and transformers) has led me down the road of a dedicated supply from my board. I’ve installed 6mm 3 core SY flex (has a braid shield but is more workable than swa) and grounded the sheath. Basically giving a 32amp radial to the equipment, I’ve then used 2x 12 way metal Olson non switched blocks and grounded the casing.

To me.. it lowered the noise level. Silence was more silent.. if that makes any sense.

For anyone with practical skills or who knows an electrician this is a really cost affective and straight forward improvement.

Kind regards
David

G61rsl, HD621, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HC, M1500, DSP33,
MC200, MS200, 218
M80

Denon 1611ud, Pana 50vt65b, Apple TV 2, Pro Ject Debut iii SE, MacBook Pro, Amazon Fire stick, Alexa dot, Humax Freesat HDR, Airport Express.
#279063 - 2018-09-20 17:50 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: VirusKiller]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

Originally Posted By VirusKiller
fake PS Audio cables are quite prolific
Good point. I bought my Triton from eBay (unused in an unopened box) and had the serial number checked with Shunyata. At a minimum, I'd check the seller has a receipt that looks genuine for the item.

DSP7200SE's, 818v3, Antipodes CX, Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon (original version)
#279064 - 2018-09-20 17:57 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: D4ve84]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

Originally Posted By D4ve84
My personal experience with mains (filters, cables and transformers) has led me down the road of a dedicated supply
I tried to get a quote for this, but it would involve pulling up a lot a floorboards and they have been both screwed and glued down and need a circular saw to remove them. It seems it would be about a half a day to a day's work - and I would need a carpet fitter to come in and refit the carpets frown

It might happen. Especially, if the builders come back to sort out some squeaky boards, in which case I'll consider putting in two lengths of cable while the boards are up and get an electrician to wire them to the fuse box smile

#279066 - 2018-09-20 18:10 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
ncpl Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
ncpl Offline

President of the Imperial Galactic Government

Loc: Surrey, UK
I put 2 separate radials in last year... one for each DSP. No floors involved... I got them installed outside and drilled through.

The SE / 818v3 upgrade was very good for RBCD IIRC. A lift in SQ all round.

Rgds,
Nick

#15SE
#279069 - 2018-09-20 21:54 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: ncpl]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

Originally Posted By ncpl
The SE / 818v3 upgrade was very good for RBCD IIRC. A lift in SQ all round.
I agree. This was a monumental upgrade and definitely worth doing.

#279071 - 2018-09-20 23:08 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: ncpl]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

I treated the rear wall in my living room and it made a huge difference... Not sure if this aligns with your point 3 about not using dampening
With the rear wall in our previous place, this was absolutely what I found. I suspect doing the same on the side walls in the new place over-damped the room.

Thanks for the PSU vs AQV comment. I have several LPSU's so could test if I ever tried one of these units.
Similar to my situation, I had an LPS 1.2 hanging around, so no harm in trying (as long as you have the voltage set correctly!).

#279105 - 2018-09-21 22:09 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
D4ve84 Offline
Hitchhiker
D4ve84 Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Portland, Dorset, UK
Originally Posted By Jeremy A-H
... but it would involve pulling up a lot a floorboards and they have been both screwed and glued down and need a circular saw to remove them. It seems it would be about a half a day to a day's work - and I would need a carpet fitter to come in and refit the carpets frown
Got to love chipboard floors... I was lucky my house has floor boards.

As mentioned though externally routing the cable could be an option and can be made to look very tidy in a lot of circumstances.. I do appreciate there will always be a cost though.

Kind regards
David

G61rsl, HD621, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HC, M1500, DSP33,
MC200, MS200, 218
M80

Denon 1611ud, Pana 50vt65b, Apple TV 2, Pro Ject Debut iii SE, MacBook Pro, Amazon Fire stick, Alexa dot, Humax Freesat HDR, Airport Express.
#279113 - 2018-09-22 13:39 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: D4ve84]
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker
Jeremy A-H Offline
Hitchhiker

Originally Posted By D4ve84
As mentioned though externally routing the cable could be an option and can be made to look very tidy
Unfortunately, in our case, because of the location of the fuse box and the room, the cable would have to travel a fair distance, so I'm probably not going to be allowed to do this!

#279310 - 2018-10-02 13:20 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Devon, UK
Thanks for a very full, interesting and brave account of your efforts to improve Meridian performance. I can only agree that all efforts to combat RFI, EMI and vibration are essential. I have invested heavily in Vertex/Quiescent, details of which are here . I have also bought Leading Edge platforms that combat the same issues: see here .

There is an interesting comparative review of power conditioners, including Shunyata, in Hi Fi Critic: see here .

#279313 - 2018-10-02 13:54 Re: My journey with Meridian (and Shunyata, AQVOX etc) [Re: Asa Post]
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is
Asa Post Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Devon, UK
I forgot to mention that, when I made my comparison of exotic cat 7 cables, this was before any of the above-mentioned Vertex etc products were installed. I now wonder whether my impressions would be different with a dramatically lowered noise floor.

Originally Posted By Asa Post
What I am about to write will provoke cable sceptics and disappoint those who have invested in Vodkas. However, that is not my intention.

My curiosity was aroused by the references to Audioquest Vodka and Diamond cables improving sound quality. As you can see, my post above reported that I found it hard to understand how this could be the case. But a PM from another HH further stimulated my interest. And at about the same time a friend with a Naim system installed new SL cables that transformed the quality of his sound. [I know that digital and analogue systems and digital and analogue cables are not the same.]

I borrowed two runs of Vodka from my dealer and installed them in daisy-chain configuration (necessitated by the length of the cables)for comparison with my home-run configured cat7. My 2 channel system comprises an 808v5 and 8kSEs. I could detect no difference in sound quality. My dealer called in later and also struggled to find any improvement with the Vodkas.

At my request my dealer had also arranged to borrow some Chord Anthem cables which he had brought with him. With no sense of anticipation these were swapped into the system. Surprisingly, these delivered a very worthwhile improvement in sound quality. Scale, clarity and focus were all improved.

Accordingly, I asked to borrow other cables in Chord's range to see if further benefits could be gained. I ended up with the full range of Signature, Indigo and Sarum to add to the Anthems. I have had all these cables on extended loan for nearly three weeks. The cheapest Anthems offered the most dramatic improvement when compared with the cat7. There was a small incremental gain from the Anthem to the Signature and from the Signature to the Indigo. The difference between the Indigo and the Sarum was also subtle. Sarum is approximately seven times more expensive than Anthem making Anthem something of a bargain. Apart from my family, my findings were also endorsed by two other experienced hi-fi enthusiasts who are used to evaluating equipment. I was under no pressure to buy any of these cables

Cable discussions seem to elicit emotional responses from people that do not apply to other areas of hi-fi. This has made many wary of taking cables as seriously as other parts of their system. Some very distinguished members did not change over to SSTP spec cat cables until less than a year ago. Other very distinguished people put their faith in Meridian and bought branded cable "for peace of mind". However, I urge you to borrow some Chord Anthem cables from your dealer. You may be as surprised as I was at the improvement that they bring. You have nothing to lose but a few hours of your time. Can I explain why these cables should bring such a desirable improvement in sound quality? No.

I now have a longer length of Anthem and have been able to enjoy the advantage of a home run connection. This offered even more scale, clarity and focus. So, at the very least, if your equipment allows, try a home run configuration if you do not already have that installed.

I must express my thanks to Audioquest and Chord for allowing me the luxury of such an extended home trial. And thanks also to Sevenoaks Exeter for making all the arrangements.

The quote was originally posted on 26/7/2015 in a thread entitled "RJ45 Cables (Ethernet and SpeakerLink Use Cases)".

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
4 registered (CMB Integrations - Bruce, Gcap, Olivier, Caldham), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Fravilaro, MadScientist, PLBC, David_Lewis, JamieB
4685 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
CMB Integrations - Bruce 29
Mr Meridian 25
ChrisLayerUK 24
ChrisSwain 23
3dit0r 22
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12413
Fiddler 8667
ncpl 8470
Carl 7790
Ian 7568
Forum Stats
4,685 Registered Members
18 Forums
25,597 Topics
258,252 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant