Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#278774 - 2018-09-06 14:58 Re: Roon directly connected to ID41 (without a switch) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
RGraham Offline
Hitchhiker
RGraham Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: London, UK
I'll be interested in what you make of the AQVOX SE switch. I have one, thought it helped a bit, but largely forgot it was there.

Last weekend, I decided it was time to back up my Sooloos files one last time, and then export them to FLAC for the future. I was curious how Sooloos on an QNAP server would sound now, having really appreciated what an Innous Zenith Mk II SE server added to my system, running Roon Core, mainly for Tidal. One of the last things I must have played using Sooloos was an old Orfeo 'Ring Cycle' (Knappertsbusch at Bayreuth, from 1956). I wasn't expecting much; mono, downloaded from Qobuz last year...but it sounded rich and impressive; really immediate.

Almost in a flap I went back to streaming the same album from the Innous server, using the Tidal version. Whilst it was cleaner, it was 'thin' and certainly no more (perhaps less) musical.

It is far too soon to draw conclusions, but I would have happily continued with the Sooloos version, though need to stream the Tidal version on the Sooloos server for a more fair comparison. But there has been talk over at CA of how switches that re-clock, or allow for it, upstream of a server, can make a positive difference. Not sure I want to pursue the giddy heights of the forthcoming SOtM or Uptone switches yet, but I was pleased that Sooloos still had life left in it.

Whilst we wait for real or imagined 800 series & DSP updates, it is great that developments elsewhere might inject something fresh into still great products.

Richard

Zone 1: 861v8+ID41, 818V3, HD621, DSP7200SE, DSP5200SE
Zone 2: 818v3, DSP7000, Cavalli Liquid Gold, Hifiman HE-6
Zone 3: 818v3, Roon ROCK/NUCi7, Densen B-330, Monitor Audio PL 200
#278820 - 2018-09-10 01:27 Re: Roon directly connected to ID41 (without a switch) [Re: RGraham]
Jeremy A-H Online content
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hampshire, UK
I'm really impressed with the AQVOX SE. The artists are now much more clearly defined on the sound stage and everything sounds even more life-like (at least as close to real-life as I've ever heard from any Hi-Fi). I'm going to write more detail on this, but I should add that I've upgraded things like the power and also put in AQ Diamond SpeakerLink cables, so the difference this might make in other systems is a little difficult for me to say. I should also add that I changed the AQVOX SMPS for an SBooster driving an Uptone LPS 1.2 (belts and braces and all that!). However, this really was the icing on (a very good) cake.

I'm also inclined to agree with your final comment. I'm a little sad about the speed that updates are coming out of Meridian nowadays - the 861 never got the update it was promised years ago and they have an analogue-only processor that apparently beats their digital equivalent. Which, for a company that will only sell their customers digital speakers, is nuts. In the meantime, we can certainly bring great improvements by making other changes.

Imagine what it would be like if Meridian had kept their complete high-end product line up to date... I guess, though, I'd have less money to spend on other upgrades!

DSP7200SE's, Meridian 818v3, Antipodes CX, Shunyata Triton v3

[Using a mix of Alpha NR's, Delta NR's, SotM and AudioQuest Diamond cables]
#278821 - 2018-09-10 01:57 Re: Roon directly connected to ID41 (without a switch) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted By Jeremy A-H
and the second seems to be a bit shy and won’t talk to my Meridian processor after going into suspend mode without uninstalling and reinstalling Roon first).
Antipodes got in touch the next day and we spent some time doing some diagnostics and it seems, if Roon starts up before the network is up, it'll never find the Meridian, so we have a stop gap solution (which is to restart Roon after a reboot) while they talk to Roon about this issue.

Incidentally, it does have the same issue with RAAT devices, despite (or, perhaps, because of) RAAT being an evolution of Sooloos.

DSP7200SE's, Meridian 818v3, Antipodes CX, Shunyata Triton v3

[Using a mix of Alpha NR's, Delta NR's, SotM and AudioQuest Diamond cables]
#278915 - 2018-09-14 11:36 Re: Roon directly connected to ID41 (without a switch) [Re: Jeremy A-H]
RGraham Offline
Hitchhiker
RGraham Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: London, UK
I guess things get ever more curious in the world of network audio, and I just had a mail from JCAT with a link to a page of tips:

Network Audio Tips

I was interested in the recommendation for a router without wireless functions, from Ubiquiti. Much cheaper than my Draytek router, so may try one.

Richard

Zone 1: 861v8+ID41, 818V3, HD621, DSP7200SE, DSP5200SE
Zone 2: 818v3, DSP7000, Cavalli Liquid Gold, Hifiman HE-6
Zone 3: 818v3, Roon ROCK/NUCi7, Densen B-330, Monitor Audio PL 200
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
6 registered (Mr Meridian, Lord Polbrook, D4ve84, Jeremy A-H, ChrisLayerUK, CMB Integrations - Bruce), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
JaneB, JoeM, Hasmac, Shunt5, Alen65
4668 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VirusKiller 29
MrTechGuy 27
CMB Integrations - Bruce 26
Not'arf 21
Jon Raines 20
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12395
Fiddler 8667
ncpl 8466
Carl 7772
Ian 7528
Forum Stats
4,668 Registered Members
18 Forums
25,415 Topics
257,103 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant