Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#276318 - 2018-05-24 15:21 Meridian Sooloos Core MQA Update 2018
Crion Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Crion Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Hello Everyone,

MQA seems to form some status quo on Tidal, so I wonder about some of the promised updates to the Sooloos platform to take advantage of this. I think many are looking forward specifically to the MQA Decode part on core as it was said to be months away but then, not a word. None of the existing Meridian endpoints have received updates to support MQA decode, I’m talking specifically of the 861v8/ID41 in this case but other Meridian endpoints are still left behind at this point.
Originally Posted By John Buchanan
• MQA. The current system is MQA-aware but during the next few months MQA decoding will be added.
I would expect Meridian able to deliver this as it has been in the planning and the paid ROON app now finally does it 3 years later. I think many of your customers would like to finally get the MQA decoded without having to pay a subscription to ROON (Ex. "Sooloos 3") for both us using 861/ID4x multichannel endpoints as well as 2ch Meridian endpoint legacy equipment.
Originally Posted By John Buchanan (#234574 - May 06, 2015 05:35 PM)
Hi Everyone,

As you expect here at HQ we're working flat out on many exciting projects and I am now pleased to provide you with a comprehensive update on Meridian Sooloos, addressing your FAQs and presenting a roadmap for just some of the developments you'll be seeing from us soon.

Meridian’s mission is to provide the very best audio experiences for our customers. Exquisite sound quality is our DNA and our purpose is to provide rich musical experiences from superb products that deliver peerless performance.

Meridian provides the very best loudspeakers and complements them with 2-channel and multichannel controllers and advanced system integration.

As music formats have evolved, Meridian has been at the forefront – contributing technology, pioneering the CD, DVD and Blu-Ray formats, and supporting that with superb, ground-breaking products. As music distribution evolved to include download, it was our desire to deliver a fully integrated, engaging experience, especially for customers with large or particular music collections.

Those considerations led us to acquire Sooloos in 2008 and to incorporate that music cataloguing system with our state-of-the-art hardware and signal processing. Today the Meridian Sooloos products deliver our legendary sound quality and every part of the software and hardware is developed and manufactured in-house.

In 2009 we added streaming services, but had to wait until 2014 to offer suitable lossless audio as an alternative to physical media or download. The recent addition of TIDAL to our Sooloos system is the beginning of a new era on our journey combining great sound quality with great convenience.

Those of you who have been paying attention will also have seen that Meridian has been investing heavily in technology and research to improve the quality of sound in recordings and music distribution. The announcement of MQA makes it clear that we are rapidly on the way up here too.

Meanwhile, the small team we acquired with Sooloos concentrated since 2009 on supporting the HP software and evolving music cataloguing and metadata systems suited to a mass market.

What has changed at Meridian?

Meridian has recently spun out that part of the team dedicated to supporting HP along with IP relating to high volume music data management. Meridian retains all of its IP, patents, brands, trademarks and expertise, including the in-house team that has been developing and managing our Sooloos system since 2009.

Why did Meridian do this?

Ultimately Meridian is a high-end audio systems company, not a bespoke software consultancy. We therefore decided to divest our B2B software applications business and have supported the eight staff dedicated to that part of our company to leave and establish what we hope will be a successful business in Roon Labs. We think they can make a successful software services business – we part as friends and wish them well. In fact we are proud to be their first customer for a customised metadata service to enhance our Sooloos range.

What does this mean for owners of Meridian Sooloos streaming systems?

There is a lot to be excited about! We are very serious about sound quality and have a roadmap to evolve our Sooloos audio platform rapidly in a number of directions.

An intuitive, immersive user-interface is key to a compelling high-end audio system. We have always believed that our customers are best served by high performance products that are designed as part of a stable, dedicated and complete end-to-end audio system. To that end, we have been investing in product development resources over the last 18 months and several significant projects are nearing completion.

What is next for the Meridian Sooloos product range?

Even though Meridian has an enviable track record of innovation we tend to be reluctant to discuss details of future products or upgrades too early in their development cycle as we really don’t like to disappoint our customers if, for whatever reason, they don’t materialise. Despite that, we want to share with you some information on a few of the upcoming Meridian Sooloos updates:

Format Roadmap
• Changes are under way to enable core support for 24-bit ALAC, DSD, and ‘8x’ sample-rates including DXD via MQA. As currently, the core mediates all formats to the various endpoints and no-one will be left behind.
• We are adding support for albums and sets with mixed-sample-rates.
• MQA. The current system is MQA-aware but during the next few months MQA decoding will be added.
• As currently, the Sooloos system is able to send the optimum signal to each end-point.

Hardware Roadmap
Our recently announced 818v3 and 808v6 fully support the formats listed above, including native decode of DSD (DoP) and MQA and, as you might expect, there are a number of other announcements coming.

Exclusive content
Curated collections via TIDAL. One of the biggest problems for newcomers to serious music listening is building a collection that suits their taste. In the past this involved ripping CDs or laboriously accumulating downloads. With our special integration of TIDAL we can add simple-to-install curated music sets as a small download.

Core and Storage Hardware
Last year we released a plug-in for the QNAP NAS range that provides Sooloos-compatible storage. Beginning with the next release we add an option to run our Sooloos Core on QNAP. This means that more music lovers can join the Meridian Sooloos world without any compromise to sound quality. A QNAP, an iPad and a Meridian Sooloos end-point will get you started!

Moreover, we are enabling the Sooloos music library to be ‘watched’ allowing you to try alternative music control apps, such as the forthcoming Roon software, but to keep all of your superior, bespoke metadata.

Control
You may have noticed rapid developments in the iPhone and iPad clients. The iPad app is undergoing further optimisation and, as usual, when that is released it’s a free upgrade.

From our next release there is also a brand-new Control option. Touch:PC provides an enhanced version of the interface hitherto only available in Control:15. For the user who appreciates the benefit of a large-scale touch screen, this free software can be installed in any touch PC running Windows 7 or 8 that has a 1920x1080 display.

As you can see there is a lot coming, particularly focussing on sound quality and convenience.

Thank you for your continued support of Meridian. This is just the start, we will have a lot more to tell you over the coming months…

Best wishes,
John

Future 861 MQA/24-192 system upgrade owner!
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8/ID41, MC200, Sim2 HT380 T2 1080P, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Apple-TV 4K with nFuse 5, HDI Dune BD Prime 3.0 with Wireworld Platinum HDMI -> UHD722 -> Audioquest Diamond RJ45. Shunyata Sigma Digital@861v8.
#276323 - 2018-05-24 17:48 Re: Meridian Sooloos Core MQA Update 2018 [Re: Crion]
MattF Offline
Hitchhiker
MattF Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Suffolk, UK
Originally Posted By Crion
Hello Everyone,

MQA seems to form some status quo on Tidal, so I wonder about some of the promised updates to the Sooloos platform to take advantage of this. I think many are looking forward specifically to the MQA Decode part on core as it was said to be months away but then, not a word. None of the existing Meridian endpoints have received updates to support MQA decode, I’m talking specifically of the 861v8/ID41 in this case but other Meridian endpoints are still left behind at this point.
Originally Posted By John Buchanan
I would expect Meridian able to deliver this as it has been in the planning and the paid ROON app now finally does it 3 years later. I think many of your customers would like to finally get the MQA decoded without having to pay a subscription to ROON (Ex. "Sooloos 3") for both us using 861/ID4x multichannel endpoints as well as 2ch Meridian endpoint legacy equipment.
Originally Posted By John Buchanan (#234574 - May 06, 2015 05:35 PM)
Hi Everyone,
xxxxx
Unfortunately, this was promised before the 218 / 251 popped into existance, so you could expect Meridian to hesitate to give for free, what they could charge per zone for.

However - anything they can do to keep people on Sooloos vs Roon, helps them in the long run since Sooloos endpoints can't be grouped with RAAT endpoints, leaving (along with the 96KHz limitation) Meridian Sooloos endpoints looking like the 'low quality option' and something to be migrated away from.

Another thing lacking - where are the Sooloos Headphone endpoints? The software is already there (The audio code associated with the Control 15 audio can be easily repurposed by Meridian to drive a Prime headphone amp (and it would be MQA compatible) giving more opportunity to give Meridian money).

Matt

#276325 - 2018-05-24 18:17 Re: Meridian Sooloos Core MQA Update 2018 [Re: MattF]
Hector Online content
Senior Shouting Officer
Hector Online content
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Midlands, UK
Hi All
How time flies!
3 years in a flash from JB post.
Tidal update of today makes MQA identification a little easier to see, however for those looking for explicit content or for those avoiding it remains poor.
Thank heaven for small mercies.
About time we got an update on previous promises from Meridian, but I will resolutely continue breathing.

Hector

AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1LR, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SLLR.
STUDY 504, SB Touch, 2x MD600, C15, 808.6, 5200SE, Mac & PC, Explorer v1, Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys
A capella to Zydeco
#278538 - 2018-08-17 15:22 Re: Meridian Sooloos Core MQA Update 2018 [Re: Hector]
Turbo Power Offline
Hitchhiker
Turbo Power Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK
Good afternoon all

I appreciate that I am very late to the MQA party, having only just got my Explorer 2 to work. Thanks to Meridian for replacing the defective one by the way smile and some great support from Sevenoaks at Bristol.

However, reading through this thread, did I miss something or are we still awaiting an MQA update for Sooloos components or do I still need a 218 to stream MQA from my C15 into the DSP5200SEs?

regards
Mark

- Turbo Power
G61RSL, Oppo BDP93, C15, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6, DSW & Explorer 2
#278542 - 2018-08-17 17:15 Re: Meridian Sooloos Core MQA Update 2018 [Re: Turbo Power]
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Yes you still need a 218 to perform the first MQA unfold. SE speakers further unfold if higher than 96K. An 818 or 808 will work also😜

James
NC1: 861v4+ID40, 218, MS200 (to outdoors), DSP8000SE (upgraded). 5500VC, 5500s, Hsu Research ULS15x2, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-see FL 2 with Triad Silver Speakers

FL1: G61R, 218, DSP8000SEs, 5500HC, DSP6000s, MS600, DirecTv, Oppo BD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, M60s, M60C, M33s, Oppo BDP-93, MS200, Roon

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
9 registered (Jon Raines, David Jackson, Jeje, Gianni, K. Tsai, Hector), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ClausM, Brightk, ralphfcooke, Mario, Myles
4675 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
spinaltap 43
D4ve84 28
Ian 25
3dit0r 23
Mr Meridian 22
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12408
Fiddler 8667
ncpl 8469
Carl 7780
Ian 7551
Forum Stats
4,675 Registered Members
18 Forums
25,500 Topics
257,675 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant