Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275886 - 2018-05-09 14:56 Sub on/off automation issue
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: South Wiltshire, UK
I’ve had several goes at automating my REL sub on/off over the years with only partial success. When I use the sub’s own dipolar switch to turn it on and off there are no problems. However, if I use a smart plug (or a dipolar relay) in the position shown below, it quite frequently blows the 5-amp fuse (which is specified as a medium delay type). I’m not really sure why this happens.

I was thinking of trying the following: adding a similar 5-amp fuse before the smartplug and increasing the rating of the one in the sub. I’m not sure if I need to keep the dipolar switch spec or if I would be safe with a standard smartplug which breaks just the live connection. Any electrical engineers out there who can suggest what’s going on?

Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
#276180 - 2018-05-18 17:34 Re: Sub on/off automation issue [Re: Cliff.]
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: South Wiltshire, UK
Just an update in case anyone else has similar issues in switching stuff on\off with smart plugs etc. or is vaguely interested. Based on experiments with 2 different types of smart plug and 3 different makes of relay, it appears that the stress of switching my REL sub on\off with these is greater than with its own internal switch. The fuse blows about every 4th power cycle with these automated switches compared to zero with its own switch. I think this may be down to a greater level of contact chatter (bounce) in the automated switches resulting in an uneven power draw by the sub's PSU

Anyway, I found this soft-start module which I’ve incorporated into the power cord and it appears to have solved this issue completely.

Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tybot, COTJ, Hualon, ChalkyFingers, HappyHal
4635 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
3dit0r 86
Ratbert 53
CMB Integrations - Bruce 51
Tarik 37
Awb 30
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12325
Fiddler 8659
ncpl 8436
Carl 7701
Ian 7454
Forum Stats
4,635 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,894 Topics
254,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant