Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275041 - 2018-04-11 13:29 G68ADV analogue zone 2 output. Will this work?
Richard W Online content
Paranoid android
Richard W Online content
Paranoid android

Loc: North of Scotland
My mother-in-law is quite deaf and the local hearing assistance people have recently given her a device that takes the audio from her TV converts to an IR signal which is picked up and converted to an induction loop she wears round her neck with her hearing aid set to the T (loop) setting. It works really well and she's delighted with it. It works so well she wants to buy another to use when she stays with us (which is a couple of nights a week, I'm nice like that!)

Her home set up was dead easy the transmitter end can have an analogue line input or a Toslink optical digital input or if you cannot use either of those a microphone to strap to the speaker. Her Samsung LCD telly had a Toslink that's active all the time and works really nice and simply. Apart from the mute button on the remote but we can live with that.

My living-room is rather more complicated, true it's another Samsung LCD panel but with the HD621 in the circuit no audio goes to the TV by HDMI. I remember a very frustrating time trying to set up a headphone amp with a G68 but I think this was because I was trying to use the zone 2 digital output which doesn't actually output anything if the multi channel digital inputs are active.

I'm hoping I can use the zone 2 analogue outputs to drive the transmitter? Are these always active? Can they be configured as fixed (line) output? and are they a stereo mix down of a multichannel input? If they were just front channel repeaters they'll be largely missing the dialogue and that wouldn't be helpful.

Has anybody managed to get something like this working? Headphone amp driven off the zone analogue outputs? Please let me know how you got on. Any G68 experts want to advise how this needs configured in the Meridian Configuration set-up? I'd be extremely grateful and my wife and mother-in-law will be too.

Regards

Richard

Main system; G68ADV, G98DH, MS600, HD621, DSP5.2KC, fronts DSP5.2K, rears DSP5K, D1500, various sources, 60" Plasma.
Second system G68ADV, G98DH, MS600, HD621, 2x DSP5K, DSP5KC, various sources, 55” LED.
MD600 tucked away in study. Lots of other Meridian!
#275045 - 2018-04-11 15:56 Re: G68ADV analogue zone 2 output. Will this work? [Re: Richard W]
bxd Offline
Paranoid android
bxd Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Southampton, UK
Page 35 on the G68 Installation guide covers the settings for zones 2 & 3.

Page 3 of the guide mentions the multi-zone capabilities but also suggests 'stereo' digital and analogue outputs, so I suspect that there isn't any down mixing Also, while the "Source Options" table on p33 suggests you can use MD1/2 or MA1 inputs for each zone, I suspect that you'll just get the L&R channel outputs.

Happy to be proven wrong on any of this.

Brian

Main: G65, MD600, MS600, 218, HD621, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & D1500.
System 2: G91A, MS200, DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
Edited by bxd; 2018-04-11 16:34. Edit Reason: addition
#275450 - 2018-04-24 22:24 Re: G68ADV analogue zone 2 output. Will this work? [Re: bxd]
Richard W Online content
Paranoid android
Richard W Online content
Paranoid android

Loc: North of Scotland
Brian, thanks for your reply, it matched my thoughts and rather depressed me!

To close the loop on this I can confirm that it does seem to work as I wanted it to. Zone 2 is set to output fixed level on the analogue outputs from the selected source. As far as I can tell so far it is a stereo down-mix of the input. It's had some DD signals from HD freesat/freeview boxes, I guess the proof of the pudding would be a blu-ray source where almost all the dialogue is on the centre and would be unwatchable if it wasn't a multichannel to stereo down-mix.

The unit is an Echolink radiolink which has some advantages over the IR version that it doesn't need line of sight to work and with a reasonable range my wife plans to use it to listen to the Meridian system whilst gardening! As well as driving the personal induction loop, it seems pretty happy driving a standard set of headphones (I had a spare pair of Sennheiser HD595s handy and had a play with those) although rather less than "HiFi" but for the price and technology it's a good thing. A pair of HD206s, from eBay for £18, now ordered for garden duties!

My previous efforts tried to use the zone 2 digital output into a spare 561M to use it as a headphone amp. This failed due to the limit on digital input / output devices with any multichannel type material. I might be inspired to go back and try to set up my old Creek head-amp that's gathering dust just now.

Regards

Richard

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
10 registered (MacGuy, MalcolmW, MLsound, Carl, Kswanson, Colin Triggs), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GazB, TL101, ThoughtPolice, Sndpnr, PWN
4649 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 67
3dit0r 53
CMB Integrations - Bruce 44
Ian 27
Martins HiFi 27
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12354
Fiddler 8666
ncpl 8455
Carl 7726
Ian 7493
Forum Stats
4,649 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,981 Topics
255,118 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant