Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#272618 - 2018-02-02 19:40 Little Rabbit Barn 2018
ChrisLayerUK Online content
President of the Imperial Galactic Government

Loc: Colchester, Essex, UK
I know people can’t get to The Little Rabbit Barn, but you can get to our artists.

This is The LYNNeS Tour

Check them out if you can.

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 218 zone... (Thanks Russ) Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
My F80 is in repair...
#273721 - 2018-02-25 08:25 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

I could put loads of pics up from the show with The LYNNeS Lynn Miles and Lynne Hanson. But this sums up what you get at a gig that your Hi Fi cannot resolve.
Two world class performers really enjoying themselves, unplugged and wandering around dangerously singing and playing.
It’s only rock n roll, but I like it! and it wasn’t even rock n roll lol
Off to clear up the mess now, we should have some lovely video and sound soon ish.

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 218 zone... (Thanks Russ) Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
My F80 is in repair...
#273742 - 2018-02-25 17:18 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: North Carolina, USA
They both are smiling while seeming by their chords to be flipping you off😜 I love your posts by the way. I keep expecting some of your guests to hit the Asheville NC small venue craft beer scene.

James
NC1: 861v4+ID40, 218, MS200 (to outdoors), DSP8000SE (upgraded). 5500VC, 5500s, Hsu Research ULS15x2, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-see FL 2 with Triad Silver Speakers

FL1: G61R, 218, DSP8000SEs, 5500HC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, Oppo BD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, M60s, M60C, M33s, Oppo BDP-93, MS200, Roon
#273755 - 2018-02-25 19:30 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: Mtns]

Thanks James, I’ll get a proper review up soon. I’ve been watching back the video I took and have to turn it into words. Being knackered doesn’t help.

For all those who would like an inside peek into the Little Rabbit Barn, our friend Sam Millar has done a review for the UK Americana Bar. There are some great little interviews with Jonathan, The LRB founder. Angel Snow, Elles Bailey and Sean Taylor.

LRB Interviews.

NB, the eagle eyed amongst you may spot yours truly filming in the front Center. You can see why I love this so much.

My F80 is in repair...
#273776 - 2018-02-26 12:49 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
LeeRankin Offline
Hitchhiker
LeeRankin Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Really interesting insight. Pics never really do a venue justice.

lee

1. 568.2mm, M33c, Beolab 6000, Fujitsu Q520 HTPC (Kodi Jarvis), Samsung KS7000 55, Sony BluRay
2. AC200, DSP5200SL, Squeezebox Touch, Rega Planer 2, Ortofon red
3. Lenovo Thinkpad, Prime, Prime Power Supply, Explorer2, Sennheiser HD700 cans, Shure SE425 buds
#273814 - 2018-02-26 21:16 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: LeeRankin]

Thanks Lee.

The first gig of 2018 started for us a couple of days before with The LYNNeS appearing on BBC Essex with Tony Fisher and BBC Radio Suffolk with Stephen Foster talking about themselves, their music, history and influences.
It was great to hear The Little Rabbit Barn get a good mention along with a preview of what they were going to play for us, all topped off with a live studio rendition of ‘Recipe for Disaster’ on BBC Radio Suffolk.

So tonight, just ahead of the cold artic weather predicted to sweep the UK, we have Hannah Paris, who with 100,000 streams on Spotify of her new EP ‘SHORT STORIES...’ to her name, is joined by Jake Priestley on electric guitar and making her LRB debut.

Hannah Paris

You you you, track one from the EP is the fine opener.
Halfway home is next; a new song Hannah tells us, about a lady who decided not to go through with her wedding. ‘Running Home in a White Dress’. A great image.

Scared of the dark, from fan feedback, is a song a lot of people seem to relate to and it’s track 2 on SHORT STORIES...
Favourite Hello, track 3 was written for a mystery person in the room tonight and it’s the penultimate number for this set.

Jake Priestley

Hannah says that she is not used to such an attentive audience but she happily appreciated it as she introduced her last song for us. LA, a song inspired by an American road trip.
Thank you Hannah and Jake, that hit the spot to get the 2018 season moving. We hope you enjoyed playing the LRB as much as we did having you here.

So now for the big show. “You guys are nuts” says Lynn Miles as Jonathan tells the tale of her first visit and how much it meant to him, having a major artist support the LRB back in 2011. “I’m going back to Canada to get warm” quips Lynn.

Lynn Miles at the ‘House Piano’

Moth and Flame was the stunning opener leaving the audience spellbound from the very start. You instinctively know when your in the presence of a major artist.

Three chords and the the truth is next. “Mediocrity borrows, Genius steels” Lynn tells us, “and I’m a genius”
“So I wrote a song called Three Chords and the Truth not knowing there was a hit song with that title, but I got a spin off from the royalties”. laughs… “My next song will be called Stairway to heaven” more laughs... “This is my version” Lynn says as she plays harmonica on what is a beautiful original song.

“It’s really hard to pick four songs”. “I have 900 songs”. “I do this for a living as my goal in life is never to have to clean an oven, which explains why I have moved 50 times”. More laughs… This is fun.
The death of Merle Haggard inspired this next song, Merle. Her third song of this set tonight, followed by Black Flowers before Lynne Hanson is invited on stage to do her first four songs.

Wow, that set the bar high. “I just remembered why we do this” says Jonathan as Lynne Hanson gets ready to play. She opened with a song inspired by being stuck on the M62 on route to Shrewsbury, Counting Heartbeats.

Lynne Hanson

“I was in a bluegrass band once, for a month; they kicked me out”. Laughs… “I don’t take rejection well”.
Turns out there is a great tradition of ‘Murder Ballads’ in Bluegrass and I couldn’t seem to stop writing them after being kicked out of the band”. “Perhaps I’m a serial murder ballad writer”. Laughs
“For the album SEVEN DEADLY SPINS I had six songs, six Murder Ballads, and I needed a seventh for the joke to work”.
“I was reading about this hotel where they had 1700 phone calls in a year to the police and I wondered what it must have been like to live there”. “This song just popped into my head”. ‘I sleep with one eye open, and a shotgun by my bed’. What a great lyric and what a great way to deliver it!

It’s great to hear the inspirations and ideas behind songs, and Lynne Hanson also keeps us entertained with her stories.

“None of us gets through life unscathed and it’s the scars that make us interesting” she says. “We become more accepting of the bumps and bruises on the way, so this is a love song for all the broken people”. Broken.
‘If I have to be broken, let me be broken with you’, another beautiful lyric and melody.

The next song was inspired by 5 days of binge watching ‘Sons of Anarchy’ on Netflix. “You have to watch something to come down after a gig” says Lynne. River of Sand followed with a false start before the Stomp Box was quickly dialled in by Simon Allen who has done an amazing job with the sound, as always.
After the show Lynn Miles laughingly told Simon “I didn’t think about you all night, and that’s the sign of a great sound engineer”. That’s a nice thing to hear from one of the best in the business.
Wow! that was really something special. At this point we can only imagine what it will be like to see and hear The LYNNeS perform together.

However, there is another Lyn at LRB to trifle with and this one is in charge of the catering. A Bludgeoning of Lyn’s is the collective noun I am reliably informed, and it’s time to enjoy an amazing Chicken Curry Lyn number three has prepared whilst we mix and mingle before the raffle.

Heartbreak song for the radio opened set 2 with Lynn Miles on Piano and backing vocals whilst Lynne Hanson sang the lead.

“This next song, Cost so much, was written by a man named ‘Lonesome Paul’”.
“Yes, that’s his real name” says Lynn Miles…
He writes great songs but just doesn’t want to persue it. “I follow him around as you always get a great song title from him”.
You can see the LYNNeS are enjoying strumming acoustically through this great song harmonising beautifully. Paying their dues no matter the cost as the song infers.

Pic Andy Sheard

Now Lynn Miles tells us about how this project came together. Lynne Hanson paying Lynn Miles to sing on her album. “I paid to much” quips Lynne Hanson. Laughs....

They became friends over time. Lynne Hanson booked a studio and a tour so they were forced to write some songs.
This is Dark Waltz. Track 6 from HEARTBREAK SONGS FOR THE RADIO with Lynne Hanson on her stunning looking and sounding Gretsch Guitar

Now this is where I got the hear about a Bludgeoning of Lyn’s “whenever two or more Lynn’s are gathered together”. (Any spelling) it’s amazing what you can learn at a gig like this.

Don’t look down, Track 5 from the album is next with Lynn Miles using an interesting device on her guitar to make haunting harmonica style tones along with singing beautiful harmonies whilst Lynne Hanson played percussive guitar to great effect. Simply put, Stunning and original.

The next song, Cold front, “Since it’s been so cold”. “It’s really about an emotional cold front”. Lynn Miles says as she straps a tambourine to her foot with difficulty which led to some healthy jesting between The LYNNeS. The opening track from the album.
“They call me Shaky leg Miles”. Laughs…

“We don’t have enough songs on the album for an hour set, so we each get to bring one of our own” Says Lynn. This is a song from My DOWNPOUR CD called More.

“It’s a cheer leading song for me as I get older”. “To help me stay open and to want more beauty and experiences, not more ‘Stuff’”. Simply Beautiful!

Lynne Hanson. “This is a song about loss, I lost a very good friend and my father within a month”. “I sat down with Lynn and we decided I have to get through this just for now”.
“Writing a song about it helps so this is Just for now”. You could hear a pin drop.
Unfortunately, during this song someone knocked a glass over.

At the finish Lynn Miles dug into her hand bag and presented them with a sticker saying, “We don’t care and we love you anyway”. That was a lovely fun moment.

Canada not doing so well at the Winter Olympics came up. Lynn Miles is not a sports fan. “Curling is housework on ice with drinks after”. However Lynne Hanson is a sports fan and didn’t agree. Laughs…

Blue Tattoo is next. Apparently men got a Tattoo after sailing around Cape Horn in the old days as a badge of honour. Things have changed today with any Tattoo you can think of available and placed anywhere. Track 8 on HEARTBREAK SONGS FOR THE RADIO. “There is a Tattoo inspection before you leave everyone, be ready”. Quips Lynn…

“Songwriters are famous for stealing things on pen and paper (Lynn Miles, Analog) and iPhone (Lynne Hanson, Digital)”. Says Lynn.
“If your with a song writer and they make notes, ask for 30% as you said something interesting and they are gonna write a song about it”.

Blame it on the Devil next, ‘it’s only walking through the fire we learn just who we are’, amazing lyrics once more...

The stories from The LYNNeS keep tumbling out as we get towards the last song. “Clapping is a very warming activity”.
I can’t reveal Lynn Miles Irish accent joke, you’ll have to go to a show to get that one! Needless to say the LRB crowd had a great laugh there...

The LYNNeS were very appreciative of the LRB and its audience making the life of touring musicians worthwhile. “These are the moments we will remember and talk about when we get home. Thank you all”.

Recipe for Disaster Track 3 from the album closes the show; or does it?

In true LRB style we couldn’t leave it there. We wanted more, but what we got was a complete surprise.

After a well deserved standing ovation, The LYNNeS unplugged, roaming dangerously around the room playing We Gotta Have Rain.

“We wrote it unplugged and are going to play it unplugged”. “Where the hell is she going”? asks Lynn. More laughs....

The next few minutes were pure magic as The LYNNeS toured the room as only they can on the edge of havoc!
You just have to have been there to experience the joy of it all.

I often say this, but if you’re at the LRB you’re in the band in one way or another.
The performance is greatly enhanced by the chance interactions of artist and audience and we couldn’t possibly do this without you all.

My F80 is in repair...
#273827 - 2018-02-27 11:30 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
Hector Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Hector Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Midlands, UK
Congratulations Chris
Your first LRB review of 2018 sets such a high standard for the rest of the year, as do the subjects. I am sure this is not a "Recipe for Disaster".
Hector

AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1LR, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SLLR.
STUDY 504, SB Touch, 2x MD600, C15, 808.6, 5200SE, Mac & PC, Explorer v1, Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys
A capella to Zydeco
#273951 - 2018-03-04 14:37 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: Hector]

Thanks Hector. Now I can share some videos from the evening in question.
Here is Lynn Miles with Black Flowers

Lynne Hanson River of Sand

The LYNNeS Heartbreak Song for the Radio

The LYNNeS Blue Tattoo

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-03-04 17:33.
#274242 - 2018-03-15 16:18 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We are lucky at Little Rabbit Barn with the support we get from Artists and ‘Music Lovers’ alike, but this is a first.

Elles Bailey Live at Little Rabbit Barn Free Download

With the release of this Live CD/EP Elles is offering 4 tracks free to download along with plenty of media coverage to promote the values of small to medium independent live music venues.

Music Republic

All About Rock

Vents Magazine

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-03-15 16:20. Edit Reason: Pic added
#274584 - 2018-03-27 17:06 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Gig two of 2018 already and we have managed to dodge ‘The Beast From The East’ with the weather twice. Phew!!

Jonathan tells us in the intro that Steve Young has played with Lionel Richie, but after setting out as a Singer Songwriter in his own right, he has finally seen the light. Laughs... “That was my first proper job, I know we have to mention it but I shudder every time I hear it” quips Steve modestly. More Laughs...

Tonight he is joined by Alex Johnson on Acoustic Guitar and Jade Cuthbert on Violin.

Truth and lies from his album TROUBADOUR opens the set.

Trembling Heart, is next from the GREAT NORTH ROAD EP only available at gigs. A fine song that allows Jade to shine on the violin as the song tempo rises and falls.

Steve freely admits to not talking much tonight as he doesn’t want to waste any of his valuable playing time. The music stands for itself with some lovely violin picking from Jade to Steve’s whistling on In my dreams. “The only song I’ve had played on Radio 2 by Bob Harris”. Steve tells us with some pride. I am sure he would like more of them played on air anytime soon.

Slide guitar time, but first we had a great tip from Steve for all you slide players. To prevent the slide falling off your finger, try using the foam from inside a cycle helmet as a grip. I need to try this out myself, I just need to butcher my cycle helmet first, hmmm?

Steve has just hit the target on his Pledge campaign for a new album. Justin Johnson is the producer. “Here we have a new song from it called It’s a good thing”, says Steve.
It’s a good thing it’s a good song though.

Back to mine is next. “This was the first ever song that people came back to me with positive feedback”. “It meant something to them”. “It wasn’t written anywhere flash like Nashville but in Welwyn Garden City”. “Songs are written from the heart and not on the back of a postcard anyway”. Quips Steve. Track 4 on TROUBADOUR.

“We now have a cover”. “The first song I ever heard at the first gig of my life and the first song I ever learned to play”, says Steve as he launches into Shine on you Crazy Diamond, again with some haunting violin from Jade who seems to have a real feel for Steve’s choice of songs.
“Time for two quick ones” Steve announces after the commercial break for pre orders on the new album/Free T shirt offer. laughs...

Jade Cuthbert enchanting the LRB

“The next song is for my dad who died 22 years ago and it’s a shame we weren’t on the best of terms”. “It’s an imaginary conversation in a song”. My Son.
“This will be on the new album”. More lovely violin playing brings this great song to its heartfelt climax.
“Thanks for letting me unload my demons on you”, said Steve “and please come and chat to me later”, as he starts his last number Wholeheartedly, inviting the willing LRB audience to clap along as he introduces the other musicians.
A snippet of The Devil came from Kansas on violin brought us back into the song with a lovely finish. That was a great opening set. Thanks Steve, Jade and Alex.

Next up Jonathan introduced Tom Collison as AMAUK instrumentalist of the year playing with Hannah Rose Platt pointing out that she is one of the finest emerging artists in the UK today and tonight, on her first ever ‘Full Band’ Show.
“A lot of the songs tonight will be on the new album” says Hannah, who is perfectly spot lit centre stage resplendent with her light blue and pearlescent Fender Stratocaster, “But we start with Chanel and Cigarettes”, Hannah’s 2017 single release.

“That was fun, I never want to play solo again, Ever”! She says with the biggest smile on her face, clearly enjoying the event.

“For those of you who have seen me before, you will know most of my songs have been story based hiding behind a third person narrative”, Hannah remarks.

“These are more personal songs and this next song is called Checkmate”.

Hannah swaps her Fender Stratocaster for a lovely Gibson acoustic for the next number, remembering to avoid the beam above her head. Laughs...
A haunting intro leads into When Audrey Came To Call after which she introduces Tom Collison on Lap Steel and Keyboards.

The next song was debuted at Hannah’s last LRB gig and now we get to hear Your Way with a full band for the first time.
Steve Brookes (Danny and the Champions of the World) on Drums, Jack Randall (Hannah’s friend of 12 years) on Bass.

Time for something more serious as we have a charity single supporting ‘Woman’s Aid’ called Sorry.
Written from personal experience Hannah sings this song solo. “This is a song that has been going around and around in my head and I needed to get it out” Hannah tells us.
The song has a powerful lyric that I think took a lot of courage to write and sing. If you download or stream it all monies go to the said charity. Look out for the accompanying video on You Tube.

Back to the Stratocaster for Brooklyn, New York. This film inspired Brooklyn, New York the song, a story of the labourers who, having built the city, were no longer needed by Brooklyn New York.
Tom Collison plays acoustic guitar here and he looked like he was really enjoying it as the song picks up the pace at the end supported by some great drumming from Steve.

A shout out to Steve Young and his band precedes Jay Stapley joining the stage for To Love You.
Jay was Hannah’s stage craft tutor at college so this made her nervous as she doesn’t always practice what she has been taught. “It’s ok, you’re doing fine” says Jay as he gets ready to add some nice subtle slide guitar to the mix. Lovely.

Tom Collison on electric guitar now as we get the heartfelt thank you’s from Hannah. You can clearly see she is so pleased to be back at The Little Rabbit Barn again.

“A brand, brand new one to finish called Black Smoke Rising”. “You seem like a friendly crowd here, so we will try it out”, says Hannah.
Well that brought the set to a rocking close with a hearty applause as we anticipate the food break to come. “Wow, these guys are rather good aren’t they” announces Jonathan as we say farewell to Hannah Rose Platt and her great band.

Lyn has again worked her magic with Sweet and Sour Chicken and Trifle for us all to enjoy along with the raffle whilst the stage is reset for the final act of what has already been a brilliant night of music.

Part Two, after the break.

“Sure you have enough cameras running Chris?” quips Don Gallardo as I dash to my position not wanting to miss anything for posterity. Laughs... (I had 5 to worry about)

“Hiya, how’s everyone doing”? asks Don, his warm voice singing out across the Barn.
“I’m starting off with a song for my 5 year old boy as I have done on every show of this tour”. “When I heard Jade play earlier I tapped the sound mans (Tom Fairbairn) shoulder and said; You can leave that DI plugged in”. “Does she know”? Asks Tom. “No” came Dons Reply, “But she’s going to”.

That must have been a lovely surprise for Jade Cuthbert, to be invited by Don Gallardo on his fist solo number, prior to him inviting his band of Travis Stock on Bass, Jim Maving on Guitar and Steve Brookes on Drums, to the stage.

Steve has already played on Hannah Rose Platt’s set tonight and like all great drummers should, he played perfectly to the acoustic of the room.

Stay Awhile opened as the bands first number. A catchy infectious tune with an easy singalong chorus. Perfect to set the tone for the rest of the evening. ‘Stay awhile, the sun is gonna shine again’, goes the lyric. We live in hope lol Taken from STILL HERE. Track 7.

The next song, Don tells us, “was featured on a Netflix series called The Ranch”. Diamonds & Gold. Track 2 from HICKORY. A Don Gallardo classic and another great singalong.

Now we have a song that was written for Don’s family in North Carolina as he doesn’t get to see them very often what with spending so much time away on the road touring. I’ll Never Be Alone is Track 9 on STILL HERE. “You’re never alone when you’re with family, right”? Calls out Don.

A shout out for Steve Young and Hannah Rose Platt received warm applause as Don’s band embarked on a beautiful version of Van Morrison’s great song Tupelo Honey.

Jim Maving (Case Hardin) played some lovely guitar here. His blonde Fender Telecaster glowing orange under the stage lights. It looked and sounded just amazing. Jim also played in the Mick Ralphs Blues band.

Later on Don told me he would like to work a version of Into The Mystic into his set and I’d personally love to hear that. He is a Van Morrison fan.

More catchy music next with The North Dakota Blues. Track 8 from HICKORY.
Jim stroking his guitar on the mic stand to great effect. You just can’t help singing along and there is great advice in the lyric. “Never trust a woman who’s name is Risky and make sure you don’t run out of whisky”.

Another couple of great guitar solos from Jim here. Pure magic that surely got everyone’s attention!

It’s getting warm now as Don takes off his grandpa’s jacket and tells us how his wife hates the flower he wears. When he asked why? she said, “it would be a lot cooler if water squirted out”. “Perhaps thats my next prop”, quips Don. Laughs...

“This next song, Ain’t That The Golden Rule, is also for my son, who loves to FaceTime and dance off with Travis”. Laughs... But Travis wouldn’t play by doing the moves on stage for us tonight. Laughs...

“This is the single in the United States, Something I Gotta Learn”. Don tells us “We had to pick it ourselves although I think that should be the record companies job”, states Don. It’s the opening track on STILL HERE and another great catchy tune.

Now Lyn Rabett was jokingly invited to the stage by Don but Hannah Rose Platt stood in for some harmony vocals. Laughs...
Midnight Sounds. Don has this on his live album 3RD AND LINDSLEY, performing with ‘How Far West’. That was so nice to hear again.

Hannah stays for the next song, an apparently true story. Don tells the tale, tongue very much in cheek.
“I took my girlfriend to the valley and asked her to marry me”? “When she said no, I thought; if I can’t have her nobody will and I threw her in the river”. Laughs...

Banks of the Mississippi, a murder song. ‘Down by the banks of the Mississippi I watched her slip away’. Another great evocative lyric and more amazing guitar from Jim Maving accentuated by its orange glow under the stage lights.

It was such a treat to hear Jim play as Don managed to segue Miss You from the Rolling Stones into the song before even more blistering guitar from Jim. Wow!

“Time to end is that right”? Asks Don. “Lots more” replies Jonathan from the back, with the audiences in full agreement.

“O.K. Home is next”, bringing the evening down just a little for contrast.

“I had a request earlier for Jonathan from Lyn for some Burgundy wine”. Says Don.

Track 10 from ART OF TROUBLESOME TIMES, Dons vintage 2012 album, and another Don Gallardo classic to sing along to. You just cannot keep your feet still. Wow!

Now some Thank You’s with wild applause before the encore that was preceded by Happy Birthday to Tom Wiggins.
Fran was also honoured with a special cake from Lyn for her recent birthday and we all sang along heartedly. That was a nice touch.

“Right; Memphis Train, the first song I ever wrote about 15 years ago” says Don as the tune begins that will close another magic LRB evening of music.

Tom Collison on lap steel, Jade Cuthbert on violin were augmenting the great band for this final hoedown.

That’s it; there was another well deserved standing ovation for Don Gallardo and all the great musicians who performed tonight. Especially Steve Young and Hannah Rose Platt.

The clocks were put forward for British summer time tonight, so we were all a little more weary than usual after we had cleared everything away on Sunday, but with music of this calibre, it was very much, more than worth it.

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-03-27 19:35.
#274640 - 2018-03-30 17:11 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Going back to May 2017, we had Danni Nicholls perform with a full band. Finally J has raided the archive and put three videos up.

Back to Memphis

Goodnight Moon

Between Forever and Goodbye

Max Milligan on Guitar, Robbie Stewart Mathews on Bass, Stuart Naokes on Keys and Flow Toulman on Drums.

Enjoy 😎

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-03-30 17:12.
#274678 - 2018-04-01 10:18 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We have another write up in Bluesmagazine. Our fame is spreading lol

Blues Magazine Little Rabbit Barn

My F80 is in repair...
#274773 - 2018-04-04 15:33 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We, from the Little Rabbit Barn went to see Elles Bailey last night after the release of her live CD/EP and she paid us this honour Elles Bailey Live

Marvellous 😎

My F80 is in repair...
#275607 - 2018-04-30 16:16 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

In an idle moment of reflection we worked out that this show was the 50th consecutive full house for us at LRB. This is something we are very proud of and we would like to thank everyone for their attendance over the time. We could not possibly put these shows on without you all.
The plight of small venues managing to stay operational was recently highlighted by Elles Bailey along side the release of her LIVE AT LITTLE RABBIT BARN, limited edition CD. The associated press coverage highlights the importance of a vibrant independent live music infrastructure across the country for musicians and fans alike. So your continued support for us at LRB has been invaluable. Again, thank you all.

All About Rock

Tonight, despite the rain hindering the set up, we were very excited by a welcome return to the newly expanded LRB from Barbara Nesbitt and a first visit for Callaghan on the last night of her 2018 UK tour.

First up, Barbara Nesbitt with Ben Jones (not the Ben Jones character in the Midsummer Murders UK TV series) haha... on Guitar and backing vocals.
Ben hails from Sheerness and now lives in Austin Texas. He is a very sought after musician in his own right and recently toured with Brian Wilson in the UK and USA. For Ben, a dream come true.

As Barbara took to the stage ‘Alan The Hat’ gifted her with her very own version of his now famous headgear. Alan is a long time supporter of live music and a great friend of the LRB, we think Barbara is one of his very favourite performers, and with good reason! Tonight was surely not going to disappoint? Of course not...

Lights, Cameras, Action! Barbara tentatively plays along with the incidental music before Jonathan’s introduction.
“Please welcome the wonderful Barbara Nesbitt with her new album, RIGHT AS RAIN!” Applause...

“My Mamma told me to have a good time wherever you go as you probably won’t get invited back, so it’s good to be back among music lovers here at The Little Rabbit Barn”. Says Barbara setting a fun tone for her set.

Done all I can do was the opening song where we had our first taste of Ben Jones on Guitar to an appreciative applause for his lovely playing.

“Ben plays with his own band ‘Beat Root Revival’” who Barbara urges us to check out. I found their self titled album on Tidal and can confirm it is worth seeking out.

“This is my favourite singer songwriter in Austin, just don’t tell her that I said that” Says Ben. Laughs ...

“Next is a song about a break up but surprisingly optimistic for me” 100 Times.
Barbara invites Ben to “Play something pretty” in the guitar break, and he certainly does. That was really nice...

Eve Selis gets a mention and Barbara is surprised to learn she has played LRB seven times before. Eve also plays with Jeff Berkeley and Calman Hart who suggested Barbara writes a love song for once, where it works out for everyone; “But you gotta write about what you know, don’t you? It has the word ‘Love’ in it though”.
So now we get to enjoy Never been in love from ALMOST HOME. Barbara’s 2013 release. The lyric says it all. It’s a great song and a true story we are told. Ben sparkled on Guitar again in the mid section.

Barbara was effusive in her thanks for everyone involved with keeping the LRB running.
“I get paid to say that” she confessed whilst re tuning. as if we would? Laughs ...

“Back home, we work with a loose outfit of songwriters but we don’t get to meet much, with being so often on the road. So we set a theme and all write a song about it and then compare ideas. The theme was ‘At Large’ and out of this project came At Large in Tennessee, a song about a friend who got her divorce, finally! She needed to”. This is the opening track on RIGHT AS RAIN.

“Songs about divorce whoop” cries Barbara after the song, pumping her hand into the air. “It’s nice to have this outlet as a performer”. Laughs...

What Could Be Worse was next, another heartbreak song with an uptempo feel.
“When you’re happy, excited and having a good time it’s hard to find time to write about it”. Says Barbara, although we are having a great time tonight and I’m writing about it, but we know what she means.

“I write breakup songs, relationship songs and making poor choices songs, but I also write Murder Ballads” Barbara tells us.
“They are not necessarily related, but I wouldn’t [censored] with me”. laughs... Just kidding!
“That was my one and only cuss word tonight and LRB are not responsible for my Potty Mouth”. More laughs ... “I try to use it for good and not for evil”. Laughs...

“No one has better ways of telling people off than the English. Lovely expressions but I can’t repeat them tonight”. Laughs... “I started writing this song last time I was over here, track 3 on the new record RIGTH AS RAIN. “It’s called Red”.

“Songs about killing people” Shouts Barbara above the applause at the finish.

“Lets do Josephine”, calls out Barbara, keeping the momentum going, “alright” replies Ben as they launch into the song.
Barbara had a friend called Josephine in the front row but assured her it wasn’t written about her. Laughs ... More great uptempo Americana music that just goes down so well with people.

“I want to stay here for ever” says Barbara excitedly as she accepts more well deserved applause.

We have been hearing some new songs tonight that are not on the latest record and it looks like Barbara is going through a very fertile writing phase just now, another reason not to miss these shows, you get to hear songs first and as they develop.

“Mirror Mirror is a new song written for people who don’t believe in themselves when others around can see their worth & talents clearly”. Explains Barbara.

‘Mirror Mirror, quit looking at me. Everyday I’m clearer I don’t like what you see, they told me I’m beautiful but you don’t agree, Mirror Mirror, stop looking at me’
Wow! that’s an extract from a great lyric and the melody is one that stays around in your head once you have heard it. Great songwriting.

Now we have one more song in a set that will be over all too soon. As Barbara appreciates Ben Jones again... applause...

“It’s been great to share the stage with the Uber talented Barbara Nesbitt” says Ben… and you can see they are both thoroughly enjoying themselves.

“Well, If that last song didn’t teach you anything you should know I can’t take a compliment” replies Barbara “I mean Thank you”. Laughs...

“In the South East part of the USA we have funny colloquialisms like ‘Bless your heart’, but it doesn’t mean that”, laughs... “it’s how you say it”.

Another one is ‘Old Devils Never Die’. “But according to my Aunt Peachy”, says Barbara “Its not true, Old devils can die”. “I’m pretty sure there are bodies buried in her yard”. Laughs... “She was a great lady who inspired this song”.

Old Devils can Die. Track seven on RIGHT AS RAIN.

We enjoyed another guitar blast from Ben during the song as their magnificent set came to a close.
“Barbara Nesbitt, a true Americana Gem” announces J as the LRB crowd show their enthusiastic appreciation for a great performance. Barbara Nesbitt was surely at the top of her game tonight.

Time for the food break thanks to Lyn and her team. “I know it’s easier to do a rice dish, but I’m fed up with it” Lyn told me. so tonight we had Chicken in BBQ sauce with baby new potatoes and the feedback from guests was great. We even had a choice of deserts.
What more could you possibly ask for on a night out. Great music, great food, great company and the Little Rabbit Bar to tempt you?
Well, we also have the raffle with some great prizes to lead us nicely into the next round of live music.

Part 2

“From the Bush hall in London hosted by Bob Harris to The Little Rabbit Barn we are delighted to welcome Callaghan”, J proudly announced; and who can blame him. He and Lyn have put in incalculable amounts of time and effort to be able to present such quality artistes for us all to appreciate and enjoy.

Opening with Surrender Callaghan sat at her piano with Dan Snyder on Keyboard and we were treated to a masterclass in vocal purity. Nothing less.

Callaghan introduced Dan Snyder and then declared that she is a big big Rabbit fan and was finding the LRB and its resident rabbits (Benedict & Florence) the perfect way to end this tour.

The next song Crazy Beautiful Life is a gentle up-tempo number in the hope that the all too brief recent sunshine wasn’t all we were going to get for this summer. Laughs...

“If you want to sing along, click your fingers, drink along, now is the time as you may well know this one” Says Callaghan.
Stand By Me. The Ben E. king, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller classic, made even more famous by John Lennon. Beautifully delivered before we were all invited to join in on the chorus. If you come to an LRB gig, you’re in the band.

“It’s nice to come back to the UK to see the family and this is a song I wrote for my nephew when he was a baby, it’s about the hopes and dreams we all have. His name is Noah”.
Noah’s Song Track 3 on A HISTORY OF NOW.

Callaghan continues “This next song has a story about it, from how I went to the USA for a year that has turned into 8 years. When I first moved to Atlanta I stayed with a family whose grandmother told me stories about her life including when she fell in love at 17. The relationship didn’t last but she never forgot the feeling and that boy even 70 years later and having had a great life. This has inspired the next song”. When You Loved Me. This proved to be one of many pin drop moments as the songs close. Marvellous.

“Over the last 12 months I have been doing things differently, recording a series of three EP’s which I have combined into a full album for later release although a pre release version is available tonight”. Laughs... “I’m going to play one of the songs now”

From the first EP and Track 8 on the Album CALLAGHAN we have Solid Ground.

“The next one from the new EP called SKIN ON SKIN includes a chance for audience participation. Any secret whistlers, this is your time to shine”.

Better Together track 3 on CALLAGHAN. The LRB choir did a fine job here even without rehearsal.

Back to the piano now for a song from CALLAGHAN’S ACOUSTIC COFFEE HOUSE.
“Recorded in a similar situation to tonight with a stripped down performance”. Callaghan tells us. “My mother took me to see John Denver when I was young and I decided to record Annie’s Song”. “Which is my favourite song of John’s”.
Again another pin drop moment that drew a huge appreciation.

“Now we have a brand new song off the album. This was inspired by a dream where I had a conversation with someone I have lost. It all felt so real and on asking others, they had also had this same amazing experience. I think that even if somebody is gone, they are not really gone from you”.

If You Miss Me. Track 12 from CALLAGHAN.

Callaghan, back to the Guitar again says. “I feel on the last night of the tour we should go really wild but we haven’t slept for a week and a half, and if we had one drink now, we would be gone”. Laughs...

Callaghan’s husband is the tour manager and always specifies cans of Boddingtons (His Favourite Beer) Kit Kats and Crisps as a rider. “Could you think of anything less healthy” asks Callaghan. “He doesn’t even ask us at all”. Laughs...

Next “This is the title track of the new EP SKIN ON SKIN about the importance of connecting with people face to face in the age of social media”. Skin on Skin.

“The next song also from the latest EP was recorded with a gospel feel”, Says Callaghan. “We were fortunate to employ Lewis Price, a past lead vocalist from the Temptations and the Drifters, and an amazing singer, listen out for him on the recording. Its positive song about keeping going with a less than positive title The End Of The World”. Track 2 on CALLAGHAN.

That was beautiful as Callahan’s voice drifted across the barn.

A shout out to Barbara Nesbitt followed. More applauses.

“This next song took me across the pond, so I re-recorded it for my second album. It’s a bit of an anthem for me now.
I have been to 47 states now with only Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota to do. That will be some tour” laughs... “Dan has been to all 50, but he was born over there is his excuse”. Laughs... “BBC Radio 2 got behind the song and made it possible for me to come back and tour here in the UK. It’s called Best Year”. ‘I feel good time coming, I see the sun rising’, is the lovely lyric that’s so easy to sing along to.

“We are on our last song tonight, but I’ll let you in on a secret” says Callaghan. “If you go crazy at the end, maybe I’ll do another”, she says to knowing laughs all around.

Callaghan has a prize draw with her email list for some hand written lyrics to any song of your own choosing, “as long as it’s one of my songs” she adds, laughs...

She is playing some festivals this year including The British Summertime festival in Hyde Park on the same bill as Paul Simon and James Taylor.
“How can I meet James Taylor” She asks “I’m formulating my plans as I am such a big fan”.
I for one think that if he hears Callaghan perform like she did tonight, she won’t need to make any plans for the meeting.

We don’t need to change the world is next. A positive song about having more fun and worrying less with audience participation at the end.
Singing along and clapping, we are all in the band again for the big finish.

Thanks must also go to Dan Snyder for his lovely supportive playing as we all applaud for more whilst J comes up to sing? Nope, he is reading out his thank you notices.

This next song was a stunning highlight to the evening as Callaghan, solo on the piano, played Over The Rainbow after offering her personal thank you’s to all. Written in 1939 by E.Y. Harburg and covered by so many people, “it is my favourite song” she says.

Wow! That was a genuine showstopper and as I was told later, moving people to tears and ending the evening with another well earned standing ovation.

The sound tonight was exquisite and overseen by Simon Allen and his team.

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-05-01 06:34.
#276282 - 2018-05-23 07:14 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

I have been waiting for consent to share this with the world for a while now, but, finally, it’s out.

Don Gallardo, with his outlaws. Hannah Rose Platt invited up for BV’s, Travis Stock on Bass, Steve Brookes (Danny and the Champions of the World) on Drums and Jim Maving (Mick Ralphs Blues Band and Case Hardin) on Telecaster glowing orange under the stage lights. Mixed to CD quality so you can turn it up to 11. Enjoy an evening at The Little Rabbit Barn…

Banks of the Mississippi

My F80 is in repair...
#276341 - 2018-05-25 13:04 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

For Van Morrison fans here is Don Gallardo and the outlaws covering Tupelo Honey Live at Little Rabbit Barn...

Enjoy... Tupelo Honey

My F80 is in repair...
#276390 - 2018-05-26 19:20 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

I have just seen two of the Callaghan videos J has prepared for approval and to say I’m excited is an understatement. What a voice! I can’t wait to be able to share...

I just received two more and am sitting here stunned by her closing version on ‘Over The Rainbow’. Astonishing is the best word I can find.....
She also plays Annie’s Song magnificently, so now we must choose two to publish... ahhhhhhhhh........

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-05-27 09:17.
#276571 - 2018-06-01 19:32 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We received possibly the greatest compliment ever last night after the Kim Richey Gretchen Peters gig at the Apex in Bury St Edmunds. The gig was amazing by the way...

A lady approached me and said, “You’ve spoiled concerts for me!” “Why?” I asked... “Well, Music is just never as good and exciting for me as it is at The Little Rabbit Barn.”

Yes she is coming to our Emily Barker gig tomorrow I am pleased to report and I do hope we don’t let her down lol

Here is Emily at The Quay Sessions.

Sunshine

My F80 is in repair...
#276681 - 2018-06-04 19:56 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

It was after the recent Gretchen Peters, Kim Richey gig at The Apex that a lady (let’s call her Emma) approached me to say “You’ve spoiled concerts for me!” “Why?” I asked, somewhat puzzled... “Well; music at gigs never seem as exciting as it sounds at The Little Rabbit Barn!” came the reply... Perhaps that is the greatest compliment we will ever receive and tonight’s gig with Emily Faye, Hollie Rogers and the sublime Emily Barker certainly lived up to this expectation.

Emily Faye opened with Michael Clancy on guitar. The pair spent somewhile prior to showtime on the LRB garden bench fine tuning their songs for the evening, and it showed...

“This was quite possibly my favourite gig ever” Emily later quoted on Facebook. Having been initially influenced to write and perform by Hollie Rogers who was also on the bill. Emily used the occasion to show just what she was made of... not just a ‘fan girl’ but a ‘fan girl’ non the less...
Emily, from Northamptonshire, representing women in Music, introduces Michael Clancy on guitar as he counts them in for Open Road. Her first single, a lovely up tempo number to ‘dance your blues away’...
Bob Harris played this next song on his show recently, Giving in. Track 2 on Emily’s HERE I AM EP.
Emily tells us how she overcame writers block by challenging herself to write a song a day for 31 days which led to only one finished song. Me For Me, Track 4 on the EP. There is no substitute for putting the work in it seems... Michael played a lovely extended guitar break here.
Emily puts her guitar away for this next song, a catchy little tune called Game Over, which finished with another guitar flourish from Michael.

Barefoot was next, just a lovely summer song about going barefoot says Emily. This suited today’s weather perfectly. It had a great off-beat catchy rhythm that caught the attention of the audience as Emily had them clicking along to the laid back beat. More great guitar from Michael Clancy.

The next song was only its second live performance, written with Michael Clancy for all their friends. Leave It With Me.

The last song after a few thank you’s is Grow, where again the audience were invited to join in on the chorus. Of course if you come to a Little Rabbit Barn gig, you are in the band... That was a brilliant start to the evening, thank you Emily...

Next up after a quick UAP (underwear adjustment period) and stage re-set, with endorsements from Nick Mason and Suzanne Vega and being a Cafe Nero artist of the year, we are proud to welcome Hollie Rogers with Thomas Holder who sported a beautiful looking (and sounding as we were about to find out) double bass.

Hollie opened with her latest single Sinner and it was here we realised what a big voice and stage presence she has...
Hollie admits that she has not been to the LRB before and didn’t really know what to expect. “I thought there would be more rabbits?” laughs… It appears she did meet Florence though. The next song is S.R.S from the BODY TO GROUND EP followed by a new song, Bring me some peace.

“Being originally from Cornwall, I left so I can go back and visit. Cornwall is such a beautiful place... I actually come from Penzance where the pirates come from. ‘Jollie Roger’ Rhymes with ‘Hollie Roger’...” laughs
“This next song is about the road from Penzance to St Ives which is a spectacular drive and it’s called The Coast Road.” That was lovely gentle song invoking images of Cornwall and a rare opportunity these days to drive a great road on a sunny day.

Thomas is one of those great multi instrumentals who now switched from his double bass to the LRB House Piano. The Roland RD64
“I’m learning to play the piano at the moment, but I don’t play it in public often although I do write on it.” Hollie tells us leaving her guitar aside to sing When I Was Young. Nice!

Hollie, now back with the guitar says. “We shot a live video of this next song in THE POOL, a studio in South London that used to be an old swimming pool. This is a striped back version of Criminal Heart.” You can find a link to the video on Hollies Facebook page.

Criminal Heart

Of note; Lukas Drinkwater who often plays with Emily Barker (More Later) played on that very video. Lukas is, like Thomas Clancy, another great multi instrumentalist as Tom aptly displayed tonight.

“This is a song from my second album ALL THAT FIRE called Carry Me Part 2. If you want Part 1, you’ll need to get the album”... Laughs...

It never ceases to amaze me as to how big a sound you can get from just two talented musicians. It’s also hard to describe those Pin Drop moments that make your spine tingle. You cannot convey it in words, you need to get to the gigs.

New Religion is next as Tom bows his bass to great effect... and then to finish we have, after a few more thank You’s and Hollie expressing her fears for the journey home as to the effect of Tom finishing the Egg Sandwiches in the green room... laughs... Carter. The first song from Hollies first album.

Well, that certainly brought the house down as we go into the food break.

Lyn is a wizard with the food. Can women be wizards? I won’t call her a witch and I know very little of the magic she uses with her team to produce such culinary delights, but there it is for us all to enjoy. Amazing! We also have the raffle to top it all off in true English style.

“We are privileged tonight says” J in his introduction. “Day 1 on the time line 12 July 2008 Emily played in the back garden with two thirds of THE RED CLAY HALO. She came back to the Little Rabbit Barn in 2012 and now she has returned again after supporting Mary Chapin Carpenter on her recent tour and has been invited back to support Mary again in the USA this year.”

Little Deaths opened the show, track 1 on THE TOERAG SESSIONS. Emily, on stage and spot lit playing her acoustic guitar at the Little Rabbit Barn is a sight and sound to saver... you could say she started it all.

Now a song about the Blackwood River, where she grew up in Australia. She asked about our local river, the Stour? So this is about The River Stour tonight. Dear River, a track from the Red Clay Halo days.

Blackbird next with some great strumming and Harmonica playing. Track 10 on THE TOERAG SESSIONS with little curtsy at the end.

“The LRB is not as little as it was when I first came here way back but I have fond memories of being here” says Emily, clearly happy to be back. “Now I’ll perform one of my earliest songs, about leaving Britain when I didn’t know if I’d ever be coming back. It’s called Home.” That was a gentle haunting sound very warmly applauded...

“Back in 2008 when I first came to LRB I released my second record called DESPITE THE SNOW. At the time I emailed my mailing list to book house concerts to help pay for it. At one of these I met the composer Martin Phipps. He later called up to ask me to re record this song as he was working on the score for the BBC 1 Drama Wallander.
I knew nothing about the actor Kenneth Branagh or the work of author Henning Mankell. I grew up without a TV in south west Australia. So I had to pretend I knew what he was talking about and said yes.
This is the original version of Nostalgia, and it has nothing to do with fighting crime in the south of Sweden.” Laughs... That was just beautiful...

Seated at the piano now Emily tells us that. “In 2016 I went to Memphis to record SWEET KIND OF BLUE with all star local Memphis musicians who have performed with many of the greats. In just 4 days we had it done; the extreme sports of recording”... laughs.
“Sister Rosetta Tharpe who was cited as an influence by Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and others died forgotten and buried in an unmarked grave in 1973. After reading her biography and learning of the incredible challenges she had to overcome as a female playing guitar in those days, I wrote this song for her. It’s called Sister Goodbye.” This is from SWEET KIND OF BLUE and we enjoyed a stunning rendition tonight...
This led into Over My Shoulder almost seamlessly... laughs. You had to be there... Again, another Spellbinding song with those Pin Drop moments we all love so much.

After a shout out to Emily, Michael and Hollie with Tom. “Who were brilliant”, we have a cover. “I didn’t write it, but I wish I had.” Says Emily. Bruce Springsteen’s Tougher Than The Rest from TUNNEL OF LOVE.
“It reminds me of family times travelling in hot cars with no air con, sticking to plastic seats.” laughs...

Now Emily tells us “We recently recorded the original version of this with my UK band at the Quay Sessions Glasgow which is available on the BBC iPlayer, it’s called Sunshine.”

Sunshine

Next Emily plays No 5 Hurricane. Track 4 on SWEET KIND OF BLUE. Another beautiful mellow song. Followed by more Harmonica for Disappear Track 4 from THE TOERAG SESSIONS another essential album to own.

After more thank You’s we have another song for The Blackwood River, The Blackwood , another RED CLAY HALO song from the DEAR RIVER album.

We end on a real showstopper, an old Sister Rosetta Tharpe gospel song Precious Memories... Just Emily and that huge voice, clicking her fingers and holding the entire room transfixed… Simply stunning!
A well deserved ovation led to J announcing “Emily has raised the bar to a new level tonight!” When you consider the level we already have, that’s some achievement.

Now we had more thank You’s especially to Andy Baldwin who did a fantastic job on the sound.
Emily comes back for one more as she tells us about her unremitting tour schedule that led to tonight and finishing with an old song Almanac. Inspired by a poem about human indifference by Primo Levi. As it’s Saturday night, she had us all singing and clapping along in true LRB style.
Wow! What a performance, you really do not want to miss any of these shows if you can possibly help it.

Main pics Andy Sheard with his oh so special new lens and the piano pic by me...

My F80 is in repair...
#276978 - 2018-06-11 17:10 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We have an amazing video of Emily Barker at Paste studio NYC as she readies for her Mary Chapin Carpenter tour. Enjoy some of what we had at LRB.

Emily Barker Paste Studio NYC

My F80 is in repair...
#277635 - 2018-06-28 19:58 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We have some videos from the wonderful Emily Barker gig. Fans of the Wallander BBC TV series will know this song.

Nostalgia

More videos here

My F80 is in repair...
#277747 - 2018-07-03 15:33 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We have two videos from Hollie Rogers with Thomas Holder on Bass and Piano from our last gig for your pleasure...

When I was Young

Sinner

My F80 is in repair...
#278140 - 2018-07-26 16:05 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Hannah Aldridge and Cherry Lee Mewis proved to be the perfect entertainment on a hot and balmy summer evening at The Little Rabbit Barn.

We even took some of the marquee sides down to provide a cooling breeze; that was a first... The weather was hot, not something we are used to, but the music was hotter and we are getting used to that!

First up, Hannah Aldridge after several years of trying to book her. The dates just didn’t line up. Hannah is from Muscle Shoals and her father Walt Aldridge (not Disney) was recently inducted into the Nashville and Alabama Songwriters hall’s of fame.

Howlin’ Bones started us off, Track 6 from RAZOR WIRE where Hannah instantly grabbed our attention before telling us about her live record she was about to record at The Lexington in London. “Tonight is a practice for that” she says... laughs. An album to look out for for sure...

The next song Razor Wire Hannah told us, was the first song where she dug in deep to write honestly and found her songwriting voice. “It was intimidating to write but was also liberating. I decided that if I didn’t go and write a song that meant something it wasn’t worth going out and playing at all”.

“I was raised in a very religious household but with electricity, because you don’t want to be inconvenienced too much...” laughs, “and I’ve been recovering from that for the last 30 years.” More laughs... So from that, Lace written in conjunction with Ashley McBryde is next. Based on discussions about demon possession and the seven deadly sins, the battle between good and evil. Track 9 on GOLD RUSH. “My favourite song on GOLD RUSH”. You can tell she is enjoying performing these songs by the energy she puts into it. Amazing!

Hannah tells us, a guy she dated asked her to write a song for him, but he continued to see his ex girlfriend. “So I took the opportunity to write this song, it’s a good way to get rid of someone, you should try it”. Laughs... Old Ghost Track 2 on RAZOR WIRE.

Parchment next based on Hannah’s experience of meeting women on death row and hearing their stories. She tells of how it feels when people express thanks and appreciation for a song. “You realise you’re not just writing a song in your bedroom anymore”. Track 5 on GOLD RUSH.

“Another guy I dated kept asking me what was wrong with me? Well, I don’t even know that”... laughs “So I wrote this song Aftermath Track 1 on GOLD RUSH

We learned from Hannah about writing for movie scenes where you are given scenarios and key words to fit in. This is how the next song was written with Jordan Dean (who produced GOLD RUSH) on Halloween and is Track 11 on RAZOR WIRE. Save Yourself. “I’m going to record it on my live album at the Lexington soon”.

Well, after Hannah finally having met the Rabbits and whilst playing the Little Rabbit Barn we get to You ain’t worth the Fight. Track 1 on RAZOR WIRE. We enjoyed some off mic singing too and I am sure you could hear at the back as Hannah has such a powerful voice. She sings like she means it.

Another song written in conjunction with Ashley McBryde after spending time contemplating getting older, the title track from GOLD RUSH. These songs are spellbinding in a way that you lose track of time.

“My dad, a country music songwriter, is a big influence on me and I was asked to induct him into the Alabama Songwriters Hall of fame. I asked myself what is my favourite song he has written? He has written so many songs that have never been recorded. This song is about a rebel soldier who returned to find all his life had gone; so he did all he knew and took a pistol and a horse and rode off to rob a Yankee Bank to get back what was his.” Yankee Bank.

“This is my last tour for a little while after I record my Live Album at The Lexington on Monday with Danni Nicholls and The Black Feathers” Hannah tells us. I expect life constantly on the road is tough and we all need a break so I am pleased we got this chance to see Hannah perform at The Little Rabbit Barn. We got in just under the razor wire...

Lonesome closes the set on a pin drop moment... well, it would have but Hannah segued into performing Judgement Day for a big finish with a huge appreciation from everyone lucky enough to have been in the room tonight. We have been privileged to enjoy another truly great artist at Little Rabbit Barn.

Now is the time for food and also for people to enjoy the lawns on a beautiful summer evening as is the way at LRB. Lyn and her team worked miracles with Coronation Chicken and an exclusive vegetarian version of the same. The calling out of the Raffle signals that the stage has been re set and it’s time for more music.

Cherry Lee Mewis and her amazing band of Max Milligan on Guitar. Robbie Stewart-Mathews on Bass. Brian Green on Drums and sitting in the corner we find Lee Vernon on Harmonica.
Luckily we didn’t have to send a private jet to pick her up like they did recently in Norway... But this goes to show the lengths people will go to for a Cherry Lee Mewis Band performance!

The band started with a great extended electric guitar solo from Max Milligan as Cherry sang Shake That Thing. Track 2 on SOUTHBOUND TRAIN.
The little Rabbit Barn is in party mode now. A great harmonica solo from Lee complimented Max’s solo.

Cherry remembers that it was 2012 when she last played the Little Rabbit Barn having recorded three more albums in the interim. This is a welcome return.

Max is now on acoustic as the band launch into the next number, Things Change.

Max Milligan

Meet Me At The Station quickly follows, another uptempo foot tapper finishing with some lovely harmonics from max.

Lee Vernon is introduced (Sitting in the corner) at this point. He is tall in relation to Cherry, so chose to sit on a stool so as not to hog the lime light... Cherry took to her guitar for this song also.

Lee Vernon This pic was iso 6000 Andy told me. He did well to get it. Lens like an elephants leg...

“Paul Jones picked up on this next song on his BBC Radio 2 Blues show” Cherry tells us. Stay Here With You Track 8 on CATCH MY DRIFT

Come Back Home is next, The opening track from her latest album VOYAGE, a song where the LRB crowd were happy to sing along. “Keep Lubricating” Cherry implores us.

This next song has a music video associated with it, Just Can’t Live Without You, Track 7 on HEARD IT HERE FIRST. “The hunky man featured in the video was not here tonight” Cherry told us looking somewhat disappointed... laughs...

Cherry, back on the very guitar this next song was written on, which we failed to amplify. “Its OK, I need to practise anyway” she says to laughs all round. Living The Dream an uptempo catchy ironic number Track 3 on VOYAGE.

Stan was called on to control the fan at this time, the price he had to pay for a front row seat. He really is living the dream.

Cherry Lee Mewis

Cherry tells us about living near the old Bedford Jail and what a great UK music hub Bedford is before losing the mic stand and launching into Memphis Tennessee another more well known musical hub. More fine Guitar from Max that drew applause mid song.
Max and Lee lead us into Hey Hey Hey Track 2 from CATCH MY DRIFT. Max takes on more great guitar solos and more applause as the LRB crowd join in. Brian’s drumming and Robbie’s Bass are really driving a tight groove throughout, this is a very tight band.

Some guitar boogie now from Max as he leads the band into Western Star. Track 12 from SOUTHBOUND TRAIN Cherry’s 2009 album.
Lee alternates solos on Harmonica with Max on guitar for some more high energy boogie.
Seamlessly we drift into a cover of Janis Joplin’s Piece Of My Heart that had more audience participation. You have to be good to do songs like this justice but fortunately Cherry and the band are up to the task...

“Shall we do another new one? Cherry asks. Well if you haven’t seen us before they are all new” she concedes. Max shouts out for the wonderful Hannah Aldridge to a very well deserved applause.

“This is a cool minor Blues from the new album”. One Night Stand Boulevard. Track 2. Max makes the most of his Telecaster on this number with more fine solos. Lovely...

Apparently, we need warming up now? (You think?) so with Max still on Telecaster we get Love Me With A Feeling. More uptempo Blues and another chance for Lee Vernon to shine on Harmonica as Cherry gets him standing centre stage so we can all see him as well as hear him play.
More audience participation as the girls sing ‘Angel like’ and the men just growl... laughs
I keep saying this, but if you come to LRB, you’re in the band.

Cherry wine, to close the show (a favourite tipple of Cherry’s) is next keeping up the pace. A great opportunity for solos from all the players in turn. Lee, Harp. Robbie, Bass. Max/Cherry trading riffs and Brian on the Drums. Wow!

We couldn’t leave it there though, so after a few thank yous Max allowed Cherry to play his beloved acoustic guitar ‘with stern warnings’ as we enjoyed another song from the new album VOYAGE How I Fell Out Of Love, followed by a group bow although Brian missed it being trapped by his snare.

Band bow

James and Cris did a fine job on sound for what was an evening of two halves when you consider musical styles. All these artists are at the top of their game though and from the feedback I have received I don’t think anyone was disappointed. Marvellous.

All pics Andy Sheard except the last one, by me. Best seat in the house...

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-07-26 19:37.
#278484 - 2018-08-13 10:10 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Happy 60th lol. I had the perfect treat of Lauren Housley with Thomas Dibb on Guitar and Mark Lewis on Double Bass playing two sets in our Conservatoty. That should spell conservatory Freudian slip lol. J from the LRB supplied the PA and Cris the sound engineer.

It was pure magic...

Now that’s what I call MQA haha
Thanks Carl...

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-08-13 21:46.
#278485 - 2018-08-13 11:37 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
Carl Online content
Carl Online content

Loc: Central England, UK
Hi Chris,

Happy Birthday, the smile on your face confirms it was a perfect day. May you have many many more.

Regards,
Carl

861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
#278511 - 2018-08-15 07:18 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: Carl]

Lauren Housley has had a great blog published on Live Music.

Lauren Housley Blog

I particularly like this quote...

Quote:
The live music experience can’t be replaced by anything and I think people’s connection to music is very deeply rooted. It’s in our bones. That’s not going away any time soon.

My F80 is in repair...
#278547 - 2018-08-17 19:56 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

I can’t wait for this gig on Sunday. We have permission to film it also. That’ll keep me busy.
Nice clip from our local Gazette.

My F80 is in repair...
#278583 - 2018-08-19 23:04 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Have we bitten off more than we can chew?

I’ve never seen so many flight cases in one place, and that wasn’t all of it. 😂

Review to follow when I have recovered. Wow!

My F80 is in repair...
#278617 - 2018-08-24 07:46 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Nothing prepares you for the sight of so many flight cases on the lawn, and it can mean only one thing? The Courtney Marie Andrews road show has arrived at The Little Rabbit Barn to play the fastest selling gig we have ever hosted.

See pic in previous post...

People came to the show from as far away as Northern Ireland, whilst others in our local town finally found us on their doorstep and had a first time experience of what we do at the LRB.
There were plenty more people in between and either way, I can tell you this; know body left disappointed... certainly not by the performances; the food; or their trips to the well signposted Little Rabbit Bar... HaHa

So, first up to open the show we welcomed, from Brooklyn NY, Robin Irene Moss singing her non romantic love songs.

The first love song is for her mum, That’s Not To Say followed by a love song for Brooklyn. Light in Brooklyn

Robin says, “Part of the reason I’m singing love songs that are not about romantic love is because I have just had a bad break up... anyone else?” Laughs...

“We’re all single” calls out someone from the audience to more laughs as we hear the next song I’m The Only One To Blame telling us all about the situation.
“A few weeks later I found out about the other woman,” says Robin Irene “so I wasn’t to blame after all.” laughs... Well, she did get a song out of it.

“So with the recent presidential election I wrote this next song.” Jeers from the crowd were apparently the right reaction, More laughs... we all seem to be on the same page...

The next song Miss you is about missing someone, a gentle reflective tune followed by a song describing a letter Robin wrote to her future hopes and past. Butterfly’s.

“So this is dedicated to every man who told me to smile” Robin says to laughs... Smile.

Wings Of Wire the title track from the new single follows.

“I’m really excited to be on the bill with Courtney Marie Andrews and have been listening to her album on repeat. This has inspired a new song which I will try out now”. “It’s about how hard it is to love siblings” Laughs... “We are all friends here and if it goes wrong?” more laughs... I Love You Just The Same.

“I’m glad I got through that one”, says Robin looking relieved.

“This next song is about mistakes I have made.” Hindsight, and all too soon it’s time for the last song, a singalong, and so the LRB crowd were suitably rehearsed...

‘Take me away, take me away, take me away with you. Take me away, take me away, any old way will do’.
It was a treat for the ears as we all sang in harmony to Robin Irene’ s delicate guitar.
If You come to the LRB, be ready as your in the band.

That was a delightful start to the evening with a quirky set of songs and lyrics that quietly draw you in to their stories. A sideways look at life... Thank you Robin Irene Moss.

Now is the time for the legendary food interval (Thanks to Lyn and her team) and underwear adjustment period. Followed, as is the tradition, by the Raffle. I witnessed one guest buy a very last second ticket only to win a bottle of something nice... “Is it too late to buy a ticket?” he had asked. “They would sell you one after the Raffle is over” I jokingly replied. He had made a good choice.

Show Time...
Courtney Marie Andrews takes the stage with acoustic guitar supported by her great band opening with some lovely slide guitar from Dillon Warnek to gently ease us into Long Road Back To You. Track 10 from MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN.

How Quickly Your Heart Mends is next with a nice keyboard break from Greg Diarra and more great guitar from Dillon. Track 4 from HONEST LIFE.
The applause says it all...

Two Cold Nights In Buffalo. Track 3 from MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN quickly follows, the band playing perfectly for the room as demonstrated by the great drumming from William Mapp, never overpowering things.

“This is a sarcastic love song” Courtney tells us with I’ve Hurt Worse.Track 9 from MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN.

“It’s been two years to the day from the release of my record HONEST LIFE” Courtney tells us, “I’m lucky to still be playing and on the road, so thanks for coming out tonight”.

I think we were the lucky ones to have her play for us on such an auspicious anniversary.

“I’d like to play you a song from that record now”. Table For One. Track 7 from HONEST LIFE.

Now Courtney plays closely with her base player as they ease into her 2017 Single Near You.
That was great, two laid back songs that built to an exciting climax as the applause rings out after a further lovely guitar solo. These guys know all about light and shade in a performance.

Rough Around The Edges continues the theme, Track 4 from MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN.
Understatement is the name of the game here, less is more. Music that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. The famous LRB Pin-drop moments...

Courtney now moves to the piano for This House written after staying at a friends house with plenty of cats and too many panties on the floor. “It’s the kind of place I grew up in and like. It’s not about the house but the people that are in it”. Track 7 from
MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN.

Staying at the piano the tempo lifts for Kindness Of Strangers Track 8 from MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN an easy flowing sing along that sticks in your brain.

“Now we have a new song for you, is that ok?” Courtney asks. “Second time playing this live, no pressure”... laughs... This is called Guilty.

Another great song that will be on the next album I hope, it’s a privilege to hear it first at The Little Rabbit Barn.

Courtney picks up her gorgeous looking red Gibson 335 now and comments on “Some crazy [censored] going down in the US right now and how children have been separated from their parents and imprisoned”. “This is for the ACLU who campaign to change things”.
Border Town Track 5 from MAY YOUR KINDNESS REMAIN. The song ends with a hauntingly mesmerising trippy jam session, a session with a message it seems... Superb...

Set It Free is next, a slow rocker featuring the 335 once more before Courtney performs guitar free dancing on the LRB stage to Sea Town, another 2017 single release.

After thanking the audience for their attentive listening Courtney introduces her tribute to the late great Aretha Franklin telling us about how she inspired her to sing. Chain Of Fools an Aretha classic and wow did she do it justice along with the whole band.

May Your Kindness Remain is a standout performance at any Courtney Marie Andrews concert.
Tonight she left the stage getting as close to the audience (and Cameras) as possible putting her heart and soul into delivering the song. A fine message to end with... but we wanted more, everyone on their feet applauding wildly.

J managed to get in some thank Yous before the band could cool down and Courtney returned for an encore, this time, solo and acoustic guitar.

“It’s nice to break the routine of large shows” she says. “Where the hell is this place anyway?” Laughs... We are not at the end of the world but you can see it from here...
It Must Be (Someone Else’s Fault). Lovely.

The band come back on stage and are introduced at this point. it’s the bass player from Norway’s first week on tour, he is doing very well bassed on tonight’s showing.

Irene Now closes a very special show in style. Track 3 from HONEST LIFE.

That was something we at LRB will remember for a long long time. The feedback has been wonderful as you can see from the quote below, and it’s great to know people appreciate such fine artists.

“A humble thank you for providing so much outstanding entertainment in such intimate surroundings.
In the case of last night's C.M.A. concert,  unequivocally the finest 'Fringe' to grace the L.R.B. stage !

Genuinely,  'THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC'.”

The really fine pics are courtesy of our good friend Andy Sheard. Others pics, yours truly. Sound engineer on the night was Tom Fairbairn

Song titles were in italics but this forum doesn’t accept them on import, so you have to work it out. I try lol

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-08-24 08:07.
#278706 - 2018-08-30 13:32 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We have a couple of videos taken at out recent Cherry Lee Mewis gig for people to enjoy.
This was a cracking gig...

One Night Stand Boulevard

How I Fell Out Of Love

We have the not so common sight and sound of Max Milligan playing his Telecaster...

My F80 is in repair...
#279562 - 2018-10-13 07:08 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Here is a video of Courtney Marie Andrews and her great band closing the show with her signature song ‘May Your Kindness Remain’ to close the set prior to an encoré.
Lighting was a challenge here especially when she left the stage to mingle with the front row. The eagle eyed may spot me putting my hand out to stop her hitting my cameras.
The audio is great, so enjoy May Your Kindness Remain

My F80 is in repair...
#279563 - 2018-10-13 07:20 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android

Thanks Chris. One of my current favorites.

James
NC1: 861v4+ID40, 218, MS200 (to outdoors), DSP8000SE (upgraded). 5500VC, 5500s, Hsu Research ULS15x2, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon

FL1: G61R, 218, DSP8000SEs, 5500HC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, Oppo BD103, QNAP469, Roon
#279569 - 2018-10-13 12:14 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: Mtns]

Hopefully more soon, I am told 5 have been approved. I have them but can’t share yet. It was so great that they agreed to play such a small venue. Poor old Greg on Keyboards is hidden in the darkness, which is a shame...Great band.

My F80 is in repair...
#279613 - 2018-10-16 12:14 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Here is a great 15 mins interview with Elles Bailey and Tamara Stewart who along with Jackie Bristow are closing out our LRB year.

Settle down with a cuppa and some cake to hear this.

Glovebox Live Interview

My F80 is in repair...
#279743 - 2018-10-23 19:32 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We have another Courtney Marie Andrews video to share, this time Border.

Notice how she retunes for the next number before the song ends, I never noticed on the night whilst filming, the whole set was seamless. So professional... For you James...

My F80 is in repair...
#279747 - 2018-10-23 22:49 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android
Mtns Offline
Paranoid android

Thanks Chris. I see you are moving into special effects😜

James....

James

#279846 - 2018-10-31 08:13 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: Mtns]

Here we have a couple of films from the recent appearance of the Daisy Chute (All Angels) Trio with Meg Ella and Cerian Holland.

Lion Eyes

Pubbletown that should say Puddletown lol

Turn them up and enjoy...

My F80 is in repair...
#279882 - 2018-11-02 12:42 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

ELLES BAILEY | JACKIE BRISTOW w MARK PUNCH | TAMARA STEWART | Saturday 27th OCTOBER 2018

That’s it for 2018 and what a year it’s been…

Editor: What a year indeed, and who would have thought that it would include both the AMA (Americana Music Association) UK Artist of The Year 2018, EMILY BARKER and International Artist of the Year 2018, COURTNEY MARIE ANDREWS, CALLAGHAN and ELLES BAILEY, the finest Blues artist in the UK and a long way beyond!

Something tells me J picked the date for this show as the clocks go back an hour so that he gets more than 5 hours sleep for once after an LRB gig. But sleep or no sleep, this was always going to be a special night, a night to remember!

J: Never as much as that, we are still clearing down electrics and equipment until at least 3:00am

This was a first for us at LRB as Elles Bailey took to the stage to be MC for the evening, such is her admiration for the artists appearing with her on the same evening.

She eagerly tells us of how she met Tamara in Nashville and the events that led to them all touring together. The joy of it all is clear to see, they have all become great friends, and that makes great music.

So to start the show we have Tamara Stewart, an Australian singer songwriter, a multi award winner including a CMAA (Country Music Association Australia Best Artist award, four number ones, and more, who now lives in Nashville. Armed with her Emmylou Harris Signature guitar that Gibson loaned her for the tour, performing songs from her three part series THE TRUTH THE MUSIC AND ME based on her recent life experiences.

Birds in Cages from RUIN, part 1 of this trilogy, opened the show.

“The songs tell the story” Tamara informs us as she launches into Piece Of My Mind and we are left in no doubt about the story here.

Untied is the third song from RUIN for tonight and what a great song this is. We are assured things get better in part two, laughs…

This is Tamara’s 5th record and her most personal one to date, where we now move from RUIN to RECOVERY, part 2 of the trilogy and a song called Blessed.

Tamara tells us how a man from an audience in Nashville approached her to say that “Men go through this stuff too you know” and how he related to Haunted House with it’s lovely false ending that caught out the LRB crowd nicely…

“That was a bit sassy and maybe he needs to make his own album” says Tamara… laughs…

Part 3 of the trilogy THE RISING. This section starts with The Rising, and after many thank yous for the LRB and Elles plus a merch plug, we hear that this last song was written in the UK and recorded in Sheffield for a late inclusion into the album. Face The Music.

That was an amazing opening set and the applause said it all along with the smile on Tamara’s face. You can see she had a great time and why Elles was so enthralled. We all loved it.

Now we have Elles again introducing Jackie Bristow with Mark Punch on Guitar.

Mark is from Sydney Australia.

Elles tells of how she was told that she had to see Jackie and Mark play whilst in Nashville. Wes Little who played drums on Elles’s album also played with Jackie then, so that brings it full circle. https://www.drummercafe.com/featured-musician/drummer-percussionist/wes-little.html

Needless to say, Elles was impressed by the show and so they are here playing the LRB. Jackie hails from New Zealand.

Opening with Shot Of Gold the title track from her latest album sets the tone.

Gotta Let Love Find You Track 8 from the SHOT OF GOLD Album is next some with amazing guitar from Mark Punch on all of these songs.

Whistle Blowin’ Track 1 from the album follows, where again Mark was able to show how good a Telecaster can sound in the right hands… that was hauntingly good…

ackie enjoyed the sound in the room tonight and complemented Simon Allen for it. A compliment richly deserved, he is the real deal…

Kiss You Goodbye is next, Track 5 from SHOT OF GOLD. Mark taking some backing vocals here.

Next, from Jackie’s very first album we enjoy Circle Round You A song written with Mark. Superb…

The next song was a poem sent to Jackie by a childhood friend from the deep south of New Zealand. It was written by an Anzac soldier and tells his story. Fallen Youth. This is the penultimate song on SHOT OF GOLD, an album you really should own…

Time for a little whiskey as we enjoy a tribute to Tony Joe White and learn how Jackie and Mark met him not long before he died. Tennessee I’m Coming Home.

Now we have a new song about the gypsy life travelling around the world, Gypsy Roar before some thank yous and the final song.

Mark Punch

It’s Jackie and Marks first time touring the UK before they go to Germany and it’s clear to see, by this performance, that they are enjoying it all the way.

To finish we have Freedom, the title track from her 2010 album and a great way to end a fine set at the LRB with some further blistering guitar from Mark on his Telecaster.

Jackie has twice toured supporting Bonnie Raitt and Mark has worked with Kacey Musgraves, so this gives you an idea of the quality of artists we have been privileged to enjoy close up and personal. That was an amazing performance that words alone struggle to describe, you really have to be there. Thank you Jackie Bristow and Mark Punch.

As we go into the food break it is clear to see from audience feedback that everyone is buzzing at the quality of the artists on the first half of the evening and there’s still Elles Bailey with her band to come.

Lyn and her team had the challenge of seeing all guests in a maxed out LRB had plenty to eat, that is no easy task! The raffle was a triumph as usual with 14 lots after which Lyn and J presented a bottle of something nice to all the LRB team that help on the evening, without whom the evening could not run.

The stage is set:

So now we come to the last performance of the evening and the amazing 2018 season. A performance we have all been waiting for with Elles Bailey and her full band.

Joe Wilkins on Guitar, Mathew Jones on Drums, Zak Ranyard on the Bass and Stevie Watts on the organ with Leslie speaker, the real sound.

On set up, Lyn thought he had brought in a drinks cabinet for the Little Rabbit Bar but that would be far too posh… or just wishful thinking.

J says, the Wild Fire is burning hotter, harder and faster than before, as Tamara steps up on stage to give a full introduction for Elles telling her side of the story of how they met and became friends.

Joe Wilkins’s signature slide guitar sets of the show off as they launch into the first song Wildfire, then straight into Same Flame. Two real rockers…

Elles looks out of breath now as she pays tribute to Tamara and Jackie before she sings the song she wrote with Jeff Cohen in Nashville for her second, yet to be released, record. Miss Me When I’m Gone. The sound on this with organ and slide guitar is amazing, the barn is truly rocking…

Whats the Matter With You? is the next song and a future Elles Bailey classic.

A laid back soulful blues featuring more of Stevie Watts’s lovely organ sound. A song that sounds so familiar but is so new…

Elles is chatty tonight telling us about her 38 day tour and travels which led to being in Nashville, broken and tired out. Listening, on the only sunny day, to John Prine’s new album THE TREE OF FORGIVENESS. This song struck her enough to put it in the set. When I Go Away. The band are tested on their backing vocals here also.

Elles’s co writer Roger Cook also wrote with John Prine and so this brings things full circle again.

Now Elles tells us about her Mad Music Monday’s on Facebook and how she shared one with Tamara after which they didn’t go out for a meal like normal people… oh no, they wrote a song.

So Tamara is invited on stage to sing said song about being a confident independent woman.

Joe Wilkins, also a song writer, found being a confident independent woman easier than he expected when asked by Elles… laughs… Woman Like Me

Now, “The awesome Jackie Bristow” is invited on stage as Elles tells us about her last visit to LRB and meeting Angel Snow before singing Angel From Montgomery another great John Prine song covered memorably by Bonnie Raitt. You can see how it all fits together.

Elles Bailey, Jackie Bristow and Tamara Stewart sharing the stage with this great band is an experience never to be forgotten. A real treat…

Elles pays tribute to her band once more and you can understand why.

Now we have the first single from the new album, a story of her ex manager who turned out to be a con artist, reminiscent of The Medicine Man. At least she got a great song out of the experience.

Elles thanks god she is not the pop star of her early 8 year old’s dreams, as you can’t drink herbal tea at the fancy parties… and you don’t get to share a van with these guys…she points to the band… Laughs… She loves the journey and performing her music at the grass roots.

So she tells of writing of The Road I Call Home and had Alan model the Tour T Shirt for us all to admire. This you can buy as we wait for the album release…

Shackles Of Love is next with a nice organ break from Stevie Jones that set the crowd applauding before Elles introduces the last song praising once more the LRB and especially Simon Allen on sound.

We now get to sing along to a song about Chess Records called Howlin’ Wolf. So we were suitably rehearsed and… “OK, You know what to do”. You’re at the LRB, you’re in the band.

Here we are treated to solos from each band member, Zak Ranyard played a fine bass solo and it’s always a treat to see Mathew Jones playing Drums like Animal from the muppets. Stevie Jones makes it look easy to get that Lesley speaker singing like only a Lesley can, and as for Joe Wilkins on his Telecaster… he rocked the joint… as always…

We wanted, no demanded more!

The encore was such a moving moment as Elles, alone at the piano, tells of her last visit to LRB being tainted by the death of a close friend who had called on the phone to say goodbye.

This led to Elles writing Light In The Distance as a fitting tribute and I think it is a song that will live a journey of its very own. The song is that good. Another pin drop moment to move you as the last chord fades away. Stunning!

The band return to the stage to end the night with Elles’s tribute to Janis Joplin, The Girl Who Owned The Blues. More solos all round leaving LRB on a high note for sure.

Later friends told us that they were too excited and overwhelmed to sleep after the show and are still buzzing now. This is tribute to the energy and quality of performance from Tamara Stewart, Jackie Bristow and Elles Bailey with her fabulous Band.

Editor: There could be no better way to bring down the curtain on LRB 2018. Everyone should shout loud and far about ELLES BAILEY for in the words of her song and forth coming follow up to her WILDFIRE debut album you’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone. Thanks to the wonderful musicians in the Elles Bailey band: Joe Wilkins guitars, Mathew Jones drums, Zak Ranyard bass and Stevie Watts, keys/organ. Thanks too the other world quality artists sharing the evening, TAMARA STEWART, AND JACKIE BRISTOW with MARK PUNCH

Just think this picture of sun down at LRB 2018 is so appropriate ft Elles post sound check. (Pic, Tamara Stewart)

Thanks to everyone involved with the production: Simon Allen sound engineer; The fabulous little rabbit team of Chris Kyan on video cameras and setup, Stan and Dave on guest list and artist merchandise, Richard and Brian running Little Rabbit Bar, Sally and Chris raffle, Helen, Nigel, Karen.
Big shout to Chris for all the help with food on the evening.

Picture credits: Andy Sheard, Nick Rabett, Chris Kyan.
Video cameras: Chris Kyan

To our record breaking guest list (the largest in LRB history), big thanks for supporting live music and hope to see y’all on MARCH 02 2019 for the Opening of LRB 2019. Terry is already in contact with some exciting artists for LRB 2019.

Do keep a check on LRB website for videos and updates on 2019

Our very best wishes

Jonathan and Lyn, Terry and all at LRB

Here is a link to the original. LRB end Of year Blog with pics

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-11-03 08:08. Edit Reason: Tidied up
#280023 - 2018-11-10 10:57 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Tamara Stewart singing Untied and Haunted House at the last LRB gig...

Untied. Tamara Stewart at Little Rabbit Barn

Tamara Stewart Haunted House...

Courtney Marie Andrews and her great band

This House From the Little Rabbit Barn

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-11-10 11:15.
#280040 - 2018-11-11 09:17 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

A fitting tribute as we honour all those affected by war and conflict on this 100th anniversary of the end of The Great War.

Jackie Bristow and Mark Punch performing ‘Fallen Youth’ inspired by a poem written by an unknown ANZAC soldier.

Fallen Youth

The full story behind this song is told here

Fallen Youth, The story behind the song

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-11-12 22:26. Edit Reason: Added link
#280081 - 2018-11-12 13:24 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

We seem to be having a rush on videos of late. J is in his element...
So this is the amazing Elles Bailey and her great band. The hardest working lady in the Music business...
Check out her tour schedule. The whole band are such a joy to be around, all good eggs... It’s great to spend breakfast talking about old Gibson acoustic guitars with Joe Wilkins. The boy can play...

Elles Bailey. When I Go Away re mix

My F80 is in repair...
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2018-11-13 23:19.
#280330 - 2018-11-19 21:02 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2018 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]

Tonight Elles Bailey’s new single ‘Medicine Man’ was played on Cerys Mathews BBC Radio 2 Blues show, exactly where she should be. She is an incredible talent along with her great band. 50 mins in

Cerys Mathews BBC Radio 2

Relevant Facebook post

My F80 is in repair...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
9 registered (Gianni, Mr Meridian, CMB Integrations - Bruce, MalcolmW, ChrisLayerUK, Colin Triggs), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
HoraceG, YelllowHound, JezW, PaulB, Padmakumar
4703 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
ChrisLayerUK 59
CMB Integrations - Bruce 47
JamieB 24
Gwho 24
Mr Meridian 22
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12417
Fiddler 8667
ncpl 8473
Carl 7799
Ian 7582
Forum Stats
4,703 Registered Members
18 Forums
25,668 Topics
258,809 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant