Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#271093 - 2017-12-25 17:48 Sooloos (and Roon) questions
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Hi Guys (and Gals),

Okay, ages ago, I bought my original Sooloos systems directly from Rob Darling himself and carted all my CD's by hand down to his shop on Greene street to have him rip my 8k+ discs to 4-server setup (two 2-TB mains and two 2-TB secondaries) running off a Control:10. So I've been in this from the very beginning (I actually still have all my original equipment, in case anyone is interested, btw.)

Point is, I've been upgrading continuously through my local Meridian dealer (I am in Denver) and I now have all my albums stored on a QNAP RAID Level 5 server connected to a 218 DAC using the iPad app, and rip with Control:Mac.

Despite my long, convoluted history with Meridian/Sooloos (all my classical metadata is still a mess from the original import) I only JUST DISCOVERED THIS NEWSGROUP!

I came here because I was searching for the answer to the following question: Prior to this setup, using my Control:15, I could export specific playlists. I have a LOT of playlists. Using my new setup, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. Did Meridian nerf this function? With over 100k+ tracks I do NOT want to export my entire library! Or am I missing something obvious?

But beyond the above goofy question, after reading through some of the threads, it appears I know NOTHING about the state-of-the-art setup for maximizing my system. For example, it appears that ripping CD's with Control:Mac is for the birds. People use something called dBpoweramp much more effectively?

And wither Roon? Is that like the Meridian/Sooloos app on steroids? Will it "repair" a lot of my messed up metadata? I saw a thread that suggested that, for safety reasons, it was wiser to export the entire library to another server and let Roon fix that rather than let it fix the existing Sooloos DB. If so, then what is the benefit of using my 218 as a DAC? Does a Roon/new DB setup REPLACE my existing Sooloos system?

I'm looking for someone to give me a high-level overview or point me to some relevant FAQs so I can digest all this new info.

Thanks!
Hal

#271184 - 2017-12-29 14:14 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
JobSeeker Offline
Pan-dimensional being
JobSeeker Offline
Pan-dimensional being

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
Roon will no longer directly change your metadata. It used to have that option. It reads your files then builds its own database using its own metadata. So it plays from your files but displays the metadata from its own database.

Roon (ROCK NUC with internal SSD storage)
Meridian 218, DSP3200.
Lindemann Musicbook / Lyngdorf SDA-2400, PMC Wafer 1 (shared with Marantz SR7011 7.1 system).
Testing Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic Aries Mini with above.
Explorer 2.
#271187 - 2017-12-29 17:06 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
Arlen Offline
Hitchhiker
Arlen Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By HalJayGreene
I came here because I was searching for the answer to the following question: Prior to this setup, using my Control:15, I could export specific playlists. I have a LOT of playlists. Using my new setup, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. Did Meridian nerf this function? With over 100k+ tracks I do NOT want to export my entire library! Or am I missing something obvious?

People use something called dBpoweramp much more effectively?
Welcome to the forum.

The only way to export playlists is with Control:PC/Mac. There is a seperate tab for that.

And about ripping: there is a sticky topic about it at the top of the Streaming page of this forum.

MD600, MS600
#271203 - 2017-12-30 09:20 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: Arlen]
dpstjp Offline
Vogon Civil Servant
dpstjp Offline
Vogon Civil Servant

Loc: London, England
Hal,

Welcome to the forum. I’m sure our resident archivists would welcome any photos of your early Sooloos equipment.

As far as Roon is concerned, the key personnel from Sooloos were spun out of Meridian a couple of years ago. Roon is relatively agnostic about hardware (although any old Control units you have will only function as audio endpoints, and have no screen-based functionality).

If your classical collection is a mess I would try a Roon trial. You can point Roon at your Sooloos files for the trial, however Roon will identify more of your albums correctly if you point it at a fresh export where the music is grouped more logically.

I have kept my Sooloos database and music as a backup on one of my NAS in case of emergency. To date I have not used it.

Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
#271225 - 2017-12-30 15:53 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: Arlen]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Hi Arlen,

Could you painstakingly (as if you were talking to a child) point me to the "export playlist" tab?

I can't find it.

Thanks!

Hal

#271227 - 2017-12-30 15:56 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: JobSeeker]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Hi Jobseeker,

So I'm guessing that Roon builds the metadata database on the local drive of whatever computer it's running on? Is there a way to centralize this DB and run Roon on multiple PC's? Doesn't Roon run on tablets? In that case, where is the DB?

Thanks,

Hal

#271228 - 2017-12-30 16:00 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: dpstjp]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Hi,

So if I'm reading you right, you created a fresh export (in native format) of your entire collection to a new NAS and pointed Roon at it? Thus, you no longer access your music using any of the Sooloos/Meridian software or hardware? What kind of DAC does the Roon stream to/through? Or does it stream directly to your amp/preamp over the network?

Thanks,

Hal

#271229 - 2017-12-30 16:05 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
ChrisLayerUK Offline

Loc: Colchester, Essex, UK
I think a good read here is required.

Roon Knowlege Base

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall.
MC200 500GB, QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into 2 MS200's. Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596 v1.89.2, 518, G61R, M60.2 Rosewood, M33C, M33 Rears, M1500 Sub, Foxsat HD, Sony Blu Ray, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
#271231 - 2017-12-30 16:53 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
dpstjp Offline
Vogon Civil Servant
dpstjp Offline
Vogon Civil Servant

Hal,

Roon plays to all M endpoints. For software Roon is free to download (you pay for the licence to run Roon Core).

Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

#271234 - 2017-12-30 18:07 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
JobSeeker Offline
Pan-dimensional being
JobSeeker Offline
Pan-dimensional being

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
There is only one Roon Core per licence Hal. It runs and has its database on whatever machine you have it installed on at any one time. It will play to various endpoints, which can be other computers. Your music files can be on a remote NAS, though hard wiring between the two is advisable.

Roon (ROCK NUC with internal SSD storage)
Meridian 218, DSP3200.
Lindemann Musicbook / Lyngdorf SDA-2400, PMC Wafer 1 (shared with Marantz SR7011 7.1 system).
Testing Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic Aries Mini with above.
Explorer 2.
#271249 - 2017-12-30 21:05 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
Arlen Offline
Hitchhiker
Arlen Offline
Hitchhiker

Could you painstakingly (as if you were talking to a child) point me to the "export playlist" tab?
Hello Hal,

On your PC or Mac (not your tablet or phone): open Control:PC or Control:Mac.
If you don’t have this already installed, then point your browser to the IP address of your Sooloos core, something like this: 192.168.x.x
The x’s depend on your own network configuration.

If you have done this, Control:Web will open within your browser. There will be a message on there saying that additional features will be available within Control:PC. Click on that message, and Control:PC/Mac will install itself.

Once that is ready, open the installed program. This will open with the first tab active, which will show the current queue of songs playing. This is the tab called ‘play’. Next to it is ‘import’, and next to that is ‘export’.

Hope this helps, good luck!

MD600, MS600
#271262 - 2017-12-31 00:02 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: Arlen]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Hi Arlen,

Thanks for this. We're getting closer! Now, after performing the steps you outlined, and choosing the "export" tab, and setting an export destination, how do I then navigate to any setting, control, radio button, drop down, or check box, in any program anywhere, that allows me to export the contents of a specific playlist, rather than my entire library?

In other words, where is the "start export" button?

And thanks again!

Hal

#271265 - 2017-12-31 00:42 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
Arlen Offline
Hitchhiker
Arlen Offline
Hitchhiker

Well, we're entering a new territory here... for me at least, because I have never exported files.
But, I hope this will be of help...
After you have made an export destination within Control:PC, which you have done... Now go back to the iPad app Sooloos. Select the home button at the very right top of your screen within the iPad app, tap select&edit mode, now tap on an album, tap 'export' at the same right top of your screen, and select your export folder.
You can also choose to tap 'select all' at the very left top of your screen. If you do this after you have loaded a focus, you will be able to export a selection of your albums.
But well... as said, I have never done this so I don't know if this really is what you want.

Maybe other Hitchhikers can chime in here?

MD600, MS600
#271270 - 2017-12-31 04:59 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: dpstjp]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Thanks DP,

I pointed Roon at what I expect is my Sooloos library (Sooloos/music2 on my QNAP) and it seemed to find ALMOST everything, but some things are missing. In other words, I see them in Control:Mac but NOT in Roon, no matter how I search for them. How can I check the number of albums/tracks managed between the Meridian and the Roon to make sure they are the same?

Shouldn't they be identical?

Thanks,

Hal

#271271 - 2017-12-31 05:15 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: Arlen]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Hi Arlen,

Thanks for trying. It used to be that I could hit "Export" somewhere on my Control:15 and it would bring up a box with of all my playlists. I could then check off selected playlists and it would export just those tracks. Now I can't figure out how to do that. Pretty major functionality loss for me if that has somehow disappeared. What's the point of being able to export then? I want to transfer selected playlists to my iPhone.

Thanks again,

Hal

#271275 - 2017-12-31 09:57 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
dpstjp Offline
Vogon Civil Servant
dpstjp Offline
Vogon Civil Servant

You can use the excellent Sooloos Library Interrogator to get a list of what you have on Sooloos. Similarly Roon has a built in function to dump your database into a spreadsheet that allows comparison between the two outputs. Using the two output files allows you to identify what has not been successfully exported from Sooloos.

Bear in mind that multidisc sets may impact the actual numbers shown by the two systems. I kept a separate music database for Sooloos just in case and now only use Roon. Sooloos is still available at the flick of a switch but I haven’t added any new music to it in ages.

Roon allows a far more intuitive file ordering system so I can keep a particular artists music in a single grouped folder, for example.

#271276 - 2017-12-31 10:06 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
Carl Offline
Carl Offline

Loc: Central England, UK
I pointed Roon at what I expect is my Sooloos library (Sooloos/music2 on my QNAP) and it seemed to find ALMOST everything, but some things are missing. In other words, I see them in Control:Mac but NOT in Roon, no matter how I search for them.
As a quick test what you have done is ok, however pointing Roon at the Sooloos files is not the best way to go... as all the file names are encrypted and the files themselves will be very light on embedded metadata esp. if ripped using Sooloos rather than say dBpoweramp. The best way forwards would be to use Sooloos Control:PC/Control:Mac and export the Sooloos library to a new disk. When exporting Sooloos will correctly store them in the Artist/Album/Tracks folder/file structure that is typical for most music libraries ... and Roon will have a much better chance of identifying your collection when pointed at the export.

How can I check the number of albums/tracks managed between the Meridian and the Roon to make sure they are the same?
Shouldn't they be identical?
It's best to compare tracks rather than albums (in Roon a multi disk album is consider ONE album).
Both Sooloos and Roon display the number of tracks in their respective libraries.
Roon also list "skipped" tracks in setting.

For lots of information on Roon do pop over to:
- Roon Community Site
- Roon Knowledge Base

Regards,
Carl

861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
#271291 - 2017-12-31 14:41 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: Carl]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Thank you DP & Carl,

I think I'm going to try what you guys suggest. Also, I'm going to try something suggested on the Roon site, with a modification. Looking for suggestions, but it will go something like this:

1. Export entire library to a backup disk (fastest way to do this?)
2. Copy said library back to a 4-bay QNAP or Synology (suggestions for models?)
3. Use 1 bay for an SSD to run Roon, one for music library, one for Raid, one for other stuff (videos, etc).
4. rSync data files to an offsite or cloud disk for backup (I'm a big believer in offsite backup. Where's your precious backup if your house burns down?)
5. Manage music with Roon from now on.

Also looking for suggestions: Roon-ready DAC and/or Roon-ready headphone amp? (I have Sennheiser 800 S's).

Thanks everyone,

Hal

#271294 - 2017-12-31 15:02 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
spinaltap Offline
Knows where his towel is
spinaltap Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Bournville, UK
QNAP TVS-471 is Roon’s basic model recommendation.

My Mac can go all the way to XI - Mac user since 1988.
#271298 - 2017-12-31 15:29 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
Ratbert Offline
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ratbert Offline

Loc: Europe
HalJayGreene

If you are going Roon you may want to consider a NUC running ROCK (Roon OS) and depending on the size of your library a simple USB drive plugged into the NUC which you can backup, this may work out more cost effective than a NAS and SSD for Roon.

To export your library use Control:PC or Control:Mac and select the export tab then add the folder location where you want to export to then select a native mode export.

Russ

Always learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Edited by Ratbert; 2017-12-31 20:24.
#271306 - 2017-12-31 20:07 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: Ratbert]
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless
HalJayGreene Offline
Harmless

Hi Russ,

Another member turned me on to the imminent Roon Nucleus appliance, and I think I'll just get that. Then I'll export everything from my current NAS, wipe it and copy the files back to it and use it as my server and the Nucleus as my core. That seems the easiest, cleanest solution unless someone can suggest something different.

Question: I know the difference between a Sooloos backup volume (preserves Sooloos file structure and DB) and a simple export (just makes copies of the music files). Should I keep a Sooloos backup volume somewhere, just in case?

Thanks,

Hal

#271307 - 2017-12-31 20:23 Re: Sooloos (and Roon) questions [Re: HalJayGreene]
Ratbert Offline
Ratbert Offline

Loc: Europe
If you have the space then I can see no reason not to. The Roon nucleus is a nice option, not cheap though.

Russ

Always learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
1 registered (Cleop), 70 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GazB, TL101, ThoughtPolice, Sndpnr, PWN
4649 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 66
3dit0r 52
CMB Integrations - Bruce 43
Ian 28
spinaltap 27
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12354
Fiddler 8666
ncpl 8455
Carl 7727
Ian 7494
Forum Stats
4,649 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,984 Topics
255,128 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant