Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#270633 - 2017-12-11 09:04 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: Not'arf]
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Norwich, UK
Originally Posted By Not'arf
Change happens, some people hate it, some embrace it. Amazon is far from perfect, but like the "new" supermarkets, the model appeals to far more people than it doesn't.

Yeah, it does, but I wonder if people have considered the bigger picture?

What happens when there are no stores on the high street?
With no stores there will be no cafes, no bars, no galleries, no museums, the city centres will die, they will be like the downtown districts of the States, no real reason to be there unless you have an office there.

We are seeing shop after shop after shop closing in the small market towns. Drive round the small towns in any county in the UK and you see more and more empty units, more and more charity shops, and the whole feel of the place changes. It is the small independent shops that make the market towns feel special, it is fact it feels special that makes it desirable, and the fact it is desirable that keeps people looking after the place, the shop owners, the local council etc. etc. If the town is busy the councils get revenue, the spend the money on keeping the pace looking and feeling great, as the shops disappear the revenue drops, the care of the place drops and we start to see the town struggle.
We then get less and less people visiting and using the town, so all you notice is less desirables that are hanging around, which in itself puts people off coming in.

Now all the above is happening in large parts of the UK as we speak, what really annoys me though is those who are moaning about how their town is feeling run down compared to 10 years ago, yet never support it, they are an Online generation of shoppers, and really don't get that it is them that are causing their town to crumble.

No Darling, I've had it months!
#270634 - 2017-12-11 09:30 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: Akimo]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Manhattan, NYC, USA
Originally Posted By Akimo
Trying to avoid Amazon is more complex than it might seem. The (immensely) profitable area of their business is their enormous (and significantly better than anyone's else's) web services (AWS) business. It is the profit engine that allows Amazon to do their retail experimentation.

do you know who the first and still largest client of AWS was and continues to be? The C.I.A.

Amazon is a Deep State enabled monopolistic entity. it is NOT a supermarket from the 80s, nor does it compete in any normal capitalistic manner. please cite us a single supermarket or any other business that for well over 90 quarters in a row lost money on its core business.

let's go deeper down the proverbial rabbit hole, shall we?

Amazon is on the verge of monopolizing all $53 billion in federal government commercial item purchases in the United States. that means every single item the gov purchases, from paperclips to printers to whatever, will be ALL bought through Amazon. that's the monies gov stole from taxpayers btw. and who wrote section 801 of the National Defense Authorization Act that allows Amazon to effectively lock-down all gov purchases? why Amazon, their lawyers and lobbyists. to wit:

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/02/amazon-amendment-online-marketplaces/

let's descend a touch deeper. Amazon just recently launched their newest AWS offering entitled "Secret Region". you just can't make this stuff up:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/21/aws_secret_region/

basically, Amazon is a giant Deep State operation that is shaping taste, purchasing patterns and monopolizing that as well as controlling consumption, over time, all while putting any and all competition out of business. they work w/ Facebook et al. in tracking various patterns and skewing them, and we all know that Facebook was too invested in and essentially created by venture capital company In-Q-Tel. do you know who In-Q-Tel are? probably not. hint: the C.I.A.'s very own VC; to wit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-Q-Tel

it goes far deeper, but i don't want to bore you and/or wake you from your statist slumber.

bonus: http://blackbag.gawker.com/amazon-is-the-scariest-part-of-the-cias-new-amazon-clo-1605847721

#270635 - 2017-12-11 09:32 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: _M_]
Ratbert Offline
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ratbert Offline
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Loc: Europe
Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

smile

Always learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.
#270636 - 2017-12-11 09:38 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: Ratbert]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

Merry Xmas to you too mr ratbert.

oh, and Santa too has been put out of biz by Amazon.

#270642 - 2017-12-11 13:37 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: _M_]
Not'arf Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Not'arf Offline
Working on the ultimate question

Loc: Abruzzo, Italy
Quote:
for those of you that can't appreciate this allow me to explain

Quote:
those that defend Amazon are simply ignorant of the fact

Quote:
you are delusional or grossly ignorant to even make such comparisons.

Quote:
it goes far deeper, but i don't want to bore you and/or wake you from your statist slumber.

I'm not entirely sure that the above tone is quite what HH strives for.

Audio: MC200, G61R SL, HD621, DSP5500, 5500HC, DSP3100. Subs: 2 x REL Gibraltar 2.
Video: JVC X70, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen 129"(2.35).

Meridian owner since 1998
#270643 - 2017-12-11 13:45 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: Not'arf]
MI' Online content
Knows where his towel is
MI' Online content
Knows where his towel is

Loc: United Kingdom
I did order a rather nice CD from them though

Under review
#270646 - 2017-12-11 14:32 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: Not'arf]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

glad you're able to focus on the most salient points and facts. guess it's easier that way.

#270668 - 2017-12-12 18:59 Re: Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet break [Re: _M_]
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
ISB Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Gregory, Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By _M_
Merry Xmas to you too mr ratbert.
I thought I read Mr. Robot at first wink

It does seem to me that the nature of the displacement that Amazon is achieving is different from the examples such as supermarkets displacing small grocers. The capital markets have provided the CF to Amazon to allow such a long run of operating losses in their core business. Other than tech euphoria, I think many investors are looking at a long game of Amazon gaining a monopoly position and the pricing power that will come with it.

This seems to me to be the same as a foreign government subsidizing prices of goods (ex. steel) until the domestic industry has been eliminated. One can believe in free trade, but still consider "dumping" to be an anti-competitive behavior.

Cheers, Ian

1: G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), HD621, MS200 + Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), , QNAP 469L (4*3TB), Mac Mini, Carver A-705x, Martin Logan Aerius
2: 818v3, Aragon 8008x3, Aerial 10T's
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
5 registered (Bee, ThePioneer, JCW, MI', FastFreddy), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GazB, TL101, ThoughtPolice, Sndpnr, PWN
4649 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 67
CMB Integrations - Bruce 45
3dit0r 43
Ian 27
spinaltap 27
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12354
Fiddler 8666
ncpl 8455
Carl 7722
Ian 7493
Forum Stats
4,649 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,978 Topics
255,083 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant