Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#264765 - 2017-05-28 16:12 Re: Turnkey Roon hardware announced. [Re: spinaltap]
Ratbert Offline
Vogon Civil Servant
Ratbert Offline
Vogon Civil Servant

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By spinaltap
My reasoning is that there will a Sooloos v.4. It will be a Meridian proprietary version of Roon - 'Roon Lite' if you will.

It will only work on Meridian equipment/end points.
No multichannel functionality.
No DSP Engine.
No Volume Levelling.
No Dynamic Range.
No PCM Conversion.

This, I believe, enables Meridian to offer a Roon-esqe experience without owners having to purchase an additional Roon Lifetime License - albeit that Roon will effectively offer Meridian an ongoing maintained Sooloos (Roon) solution.

Meridian's efforts can then concentrate on developing the electronics.
Why would Roon or Meridian do this? Roon already works with Sooloos endpoints and the current version of Sooloos is quite sufficient for Sooloos owners from what I hear.

Mind you never say never.

Russ

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.
—————————————
If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.
#264778 - 2017-05-28 19:57 Re: Turnkey Roon hardware announced. [Re: Ratbert]
Sir Ron Ekim Offline
Hitchhiker
Sir Ron Ekim Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Surrey, UK
Why would Roon or Meridian do this indeed...

But then as I think about it a little more, I can see a win-win logic to it.

For Meridian it might make sense to completely outsource Sooloos and Roon-Lite to the people who were originally doing it anyway. If the price was right it could be cost effective for both parties.

For Roon, there is an opportunity to entice Meridian Roon-Lite users to the full paid-for product. Quite a few people do not have only Meridian kit in their system, and this could be an opportunity to sell Roon to those users who want a mixed vendor endpoint world.

Pure speculation of course, and in any case irrelevant to me.
Like others, Sooloos was always too restrictive for me, and I was a fully paid up Roon user from day one. It even saved me money!

LOUNGE - 218 feeding white DSP7200.2
GARDEN - DSP5000
#264779 - 2017-05-28 20:08 Re: Turnkey Roon hardware announced. [Re: Sir Ron Ekim]
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Norwich, UK
My only gripe with Roon was not being able to link to accounts like calmradio, Soundcloud etc.

However, now I am using Raspberry Pi's I can play them on the end points without using Roon so not as much of an issue.

But if they would link to Soundcloud etc. that would be great. Even if it were were just able to see your favourites, that would be enough.

No Darling, I've had it months!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
1 registered (Mr_Gimlet), 56 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Xebxorro, LeonardoDelgado, SunValleyLaw, PaulMichaelMiller, Earfully
4820 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Mike_500 43
Ratbert 38
spinaltap 20
CMB Integrations - Bruce 20
3dit0r 18
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12640
Fiddler 8672
ncpl 8577
Carl 8005
Ian 7866
Forum Stats
4,820 Registered Members
18 Forums
26,893 Topics
268,797 Posts

Most users ever online: 607 @ 2020-01-20 17:19
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant