Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#242476 - 2015-11-08 15:50 Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints ****
Ratbert Offline
Vogon Civil Servant
Ratbert Offline
Vogon Civil Servant

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By Altus
It would be very helpful if someone who has achieved stability with Roon (with a NUC or by whatever means) could draw up a schematic of the preferred setup with Meridian endpoints.

Setting out how to make the various connections to the underlying NAS, together with a list of do's and don'ts, such that non-computer experts can understand it.

Ok, here goes one last post as I had planned to retire from this forum.

Broadband: 300mbit fibre to the house.

Router: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS)

Switch: Unmanaged 8 port 1gbit, connected directly to the AEBS LAN port (not WAN as I have a separate modem).

Plus a Devolo 600 plug connected to the switch via cat 6 (to link to upstairs switch).

Laptop: i5, 8GB memory, running Windows 10, connected by CAT 6 cable from 1gb LAN port to switch.

NAS: QNAP 569 pro NAS, running the latest full release fw not beta, 5x 6TB disks running in RAID6, connected to the switch by one cat 6 LAN cable in LAN 0. Note ALL power saving is disabled, this is not a Roon specific requirement, Meridian stipulate it for Sooloos as well, I suspect a lot of slow to respond issues in Roon may be related to this?

All the above equipment is on a shelf in a cupboard so all cables are less than 1 metre.

Listening Roon
I then run a cat 6 cable from the switch in the cupboard into my lounge and plugged into a second 8 port switch (cable length approx 25m) in my audio rack.

861v8 ID41 running the latest firmware connected via 1m cat 6 cable to the switch.

Global Cache box for vMSR connected to the switch via cat 6.

Oppo 103 connected via Cat 6 to the switch.

All the above is in my lounge plus other kit that does not need a LAN connection.

Upstairs
A Devolo 600 in the bedroom which connects to a third 8 port switch.

MS600 connected to the switch via a 1m cat 6 cable

Usage
I run RoonServer, this is the headless version, it is configured to start at boot up and Windows is configured to automatically logon at startup, this is easy to do, a right click 'start at logon' for Roon and to Auto Logon to Windows Google is your friend (plwiz).

Thus if Windows has updates then they are automatically installed and if a restart is required then it just happens, I had some issues with Roon when running the graphical interface on the laptop server but have had NONE since running headless.

I run an iPad as the remote which always connects first time, I understand that the sometimes 1 to 2 second delay in connection is due to Apple app power management but am willing to be corrected, either way it causes me no issues. I run a iMac connected wirelessly as a remote sometimes and it to is set to start Roon at login, google it if you do not know how? It always works perfectly.

The NAS is not set up in any special way just a shared folder that I have configured in Roon as a watched folder and entered the share as \\1.2.3.4\Multimedia\Roon, your IP will be different I hope! Power cycling the PC or NAS has always resulted in everything reconnecting.

Streaming will always require some user configuration and I concede Roon currently requires more than Sooloos although Sooloos is gradually requiring more with the recent enhancements. I for one will be sticking with Roon as I prefer it and with the developments in the pipeline I look forward to it getting even better, YMMV.

Russ

PS All LAN cables are SFTP Cat6.

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.
—————————————
If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool about it.
Edited by Carl; 2015-11-09 17:58. Edit Reason: Moved to its own topic.
#242477 - 2015-11-08 16:16 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: Ratbert]
Altus Offline
Paranoid android
Altus Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Midlands, UK
Russ

Thanks for posting such a comprehensive explanation.

Is there an advantage in running the headless server on a Windows machine or would it work equally well on a Mac (eg MacMini)?

I hope you don't retire from the forum - that would be a huge loss to everyone else.

Kevin

Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: Ultra DAC, analogue amps and speakers
Retro system: 101/104/105, analogue speakers
#242484 - 2015-11-08 16:35 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: Altus]
Cliff. Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Cliff. Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

Loc: South Wiltshire, UK
I think the Win vs Mac depends a lot on which OS you are most comfortable with respect to troubleshooting the occasional issue.

Personally, I find PCs give the most user control. I always build my own computers and for my RoonServer I'm using a using minimalist Core i3 Windows 10 setup. Prior to that it was running Win 7 (also without any issues).

By minimalist, I mean only running the additional software that's actually required. I don't use this particular machine for email or internet use so I haven't installed any antivirus software. I also have a look at what's configured to run on startup and turn off everything that's not needed. It's easy to do this: in the run menu just type 'msconfig' and look at the 'startup' tab list. Disable everything you don't need.

@Ratbert. Sorry you've decided to leave - it's sad to lose knowledgeable and experienced members.

Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
#242535 - 2015-11-09 15:24 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: Altus]
NJR Offline
Hitchhiker
NJR Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Apologies for shamelessly using Ratbert's format.

Maybe a simpler installation than some which might give some hope?

Broadband: BT Infinity 2

Router: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station

Switch: Unmanaged 8 port 1gbit (Netgear), connected directly to the Router LAN port. Also connected to the switch are the TV, Blu-Ray player, MS200, xbox, Tado Bridge and the laptop)

Laptop:Lenovo Yoga i7, 8GB memory, running Windows 8.1, connected by CAT 6 cable from 1gb LAN port to switch. This is the "home" laptop so not dedicated to Roon, but typically it is not used for much else when music is playing, Screen saver has been disabled.

NAS: ReadyNas NV+ V2 with 2x3TB drives (no Raid - yes I have a separate backup) connected via another 8 port 1gbit switch to Router (NAS lives upstairs in the study and shares the switch with a printer a Mac, work laptop and an Apple time capsule). Disk spin down turned off not specifically for Roon but generally to improve performance (NAS hosts TV show and Movie libraries)

Listening Roon
MS200 connected by CAT 6 cable to switch, optical out to G68ADV.

I did have drop-out issues at the start of my Roon journey but these were down to running the Laptop on wireless, switching to ethernet solved these completely.

Listening is almost a 50/50 mix between tracks stored on the NAS (mostly iTunes or CDs ripped into iTunes - at max quality) and Tidal.

Hope this helps.
Nick

Sources: Auralic Aries G1 & Re-plinthed Thorens TD-150/ISOkinetik Power Supply/Linn Ittok/AT33PTG/Trichord Dino
Processor: G68ADV, Speakers: Front: DSP3100 & DSP3100HC, Rear: KEF CI160CRDS Ceiling, Sub: B&W ASW610
Other: QNAP TS-451+ as a Plex and Roon Server, Samsung 4k TV-Plex Client, Sony BDP-S360, Modified DVDO Edge
#242537 - 2015-11-09 16:09 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: NJR]
ncpl Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
ncpl Offline

Loc: Surrey, UK
Here is a simplified view of my Roon network to each zone

Note that several devices hang from each switch, but, I only included Meridian end points, switches, NAS and a NUC running Roonserver.exe.

The NUC is quite awesome driving the Roon core. Super quick to feed iPads and Roon remotes (not shown)

Rgds,
Nick

#15SE
#242541 - 2015-11-09 17:10 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: ncpl]
Altus Offline
Paranoid android
Altus Offline
Paranoid android

Thank you to both Nicks.

My conclusion is that the key point missing from my setup (and the one that contributes most to stability) is the headless NUC running RoonServer.

My system is somewhat less fixed in that I have Roon on a Mac laptop, which I like to take on holiday etc. I guess I would need a second subscription to continue to do this.

#242543 - 2015-11-09 17:20 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: Altus]
ncpl Offline
ncpl Offline

Loc: Surrey, UK
Not necessarily. If you leave no-one at home that would need to use it, then just transfer your licence back and forth as and when you need to. It's easy to do.

When I travel I rarely find the time nor inclination to need the full meta beauty solution. Frankly a list based player works just fine for me. Whether that is just an iPod classic or tunes in a folder on my laptop....

All depends on what the use case really is. If you want the full monty at all time simultaneously then you would need 2 licences. Whilst some complain about that I think it is much cheaper than running 2 sets of Sooloos cores.

Rgds,
Nick

#15SE
#242545 - 2015-11-09 17:31 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: ncpl]
Altus Offline
Paranoid android
Altus Offline
Paranoid android

Thanks. I will mug up on how to transfer the licence between machines. I also don't need the full monty when on hols but I have found the Roon software to work well "on the go" using a tethered USB drive containing a subset of the overall library (and Tidal is also handy) with USB output to a Director and headphones or to small active speakers.

#242555 - 2015-11-09 21:02 Re: Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints [Re: Altus]
Carl Offline
Carl Offline

Loc: Central England, UK
AndersVinberg posted his Simplified Roon configuration: no network or NAS NUC setup over on the Roon forum.

It does still use a network mind, but I see the spirit of where he is coming from.

Regards,
Carl

861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
4 registered (3dit0r, Danny77, RH83733, Mac147), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MyMateTam, Digi85, Allen, SRLaudio, EugeneLi
4805 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
CMB Integrations - Bruce 37
Ratbert 33
Mike_500 23
swpnt 23
SixSpeed 22
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12635
Fiddler 8672
ncpl 8568
Carl 8001
Ian 7860
Forum Stats
4,805 Registered Members
18 Forums
26,826 Topics
268,305 Posts

Most users ever online: 607 @ 2020-01-20 17:19
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant