Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165620 - 2012-04-28 10:38 Problems with export
AndersVinberg Offline
Hitchhiker
AndersVinberg Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Seattle, USA
I have had a series of very frustrating problems with export, exacerbated by problems in dBpoweramp. Any suggestion is welcome.

I use an iPad for the car. I had a lot of old music in it, but since I got the Sooloos I set up Export to iTunes for new music. But there is a bug in Sooloos export that creates duplicates in iTunes. I stopped the export and ripped the music separately into iTunes, double-rip, but that takes time and creates mismatched metadata unless I am careful with editing. But much worse, I began to find that the export function had completely messed up the iTunes library, with lots of duplicates. "Duplicate" understates it, one track existed in 19 copies.

So I figured the only way to make sense of it was to declare iTunes bankruptcy, export the entire Sooloos library to a separate folder, then wipe iTunes and re-import the entire library. At least I was smart enough not to wipe the iTunes library until the export was successful.

Because it wasn't. First I attempted to export in MP3 form. That failed as I'll describe below. Then I tried to export in FLAC form and mass-convert to MP3 in dBpoweramp, same failure.

The export misbehaved, probably a variant of the same bug as with iTunes. I found random occurrences of duplicate tracks, with '_1' added to the file name. I think what happened is that during the export process (note that every step here takes a while, there are 9500 tracks so I start a process and go to work, come back in the evening to see how it went). During the export process, the machine was interrupted for some reason (a brief power outage, or Windows wanted to do a security patch, or something) and export restarts, and -- here comes the bug -- when ControlPC finds the file name exists it creates a new file with _1 added. In a few rare cases there was even a _2 copy. Who thought that was a good idea? Either write over the old version, or skip that file. Who wants a duplicate?

So I gradually realized the MP3 export was messed up, did a FLAC export, and it seemed better. Then I copied that to another directory (because I wanted to keep the apparently successful FLAC export for future use), and of course that takes a long time too.

And then I find that the bulk conversion in dBpoweramp also showed a very large number of dialog boxes "failed to create output file." Again, random collection of failures, but large. So I wiped that output directory and took another copy. Right now I am converting in batches by alphabet groups, so I can deal with the failures.

All this takes forever. I do have another conversion program that is faster, it runs four jobs in parallel on my quad-core CPU, bit messes up the metadata and does not preserve the directory structure.

It's been a week now. And I am essentially nowhere -- well, I'm through the "As". I have repeatedly wiped the directory and started over. And I probably made some mistakes along the way.

For the future, I think the Rip with dBpoweramp and import to Sooloos may be better, but since keep-local-metadata doesn't work, that still means I have to edit metadata at least twice and keep it consistent between Sooloos, iTunes and dBpa.

Music room: 818v3, DSP8000SE, Roon/Intel NUC, microRendu/LPS-1 into Geek Pulse Xfi into Audeze LCD-3
HT: G61R, HD621, MS600, Oppo, Avantgarde Solo
Library: MS600, Bel Canto, Mark & Daniel
Other: SonicOrbiter, GeekOut, Audeze EL-8
#165623 - 2012-04-28 11:34 Re: Problems with export [Re: AndersVinberg]
Gian Offline
Hitchhiker
Gian Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Reigate, Surrey, UK
Anders,

It may be too late to suggest this, but I was experiencing lots of duplicates in iTunes (my iTunes library is solely made up of MP3's exported from Sooloos). I found a very neat bit of shareware called iDupe (see www.woodenbrain.com). You can try it for free, but it did exactly what I needed to do, I was happy to pay the $8 contribution that they ask for.

It's easy to use - all I did was display Exact Duplicates (search iTunes help for how to do that) and then went through the iDupe steps - it identified all the duplicates and removed all except one of course, leaving a clean library in iTunes.

Regards,

Ian

C10, TwinStore(RM), MC600, MS600, MS200, Explorer
#165645 - 2012-04-28 16:37 Re: Problems with export [Re: Gian]
AndersVinberg Offline
Hitchhiker
AndersVinberg Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Seattle, USA
Thank you, might try that if necessary.

But the export problem is more fundamental -- shouldn't create duplicates. I may be able to get this thing cleaned up, but I shouldn't have to.

On a different point, I just realized I have been thinking dBP all this time, but I was really running MediaMonkey, which works ok but really behaved badly on a large batch. So ignore what I said about dBP problems, I have just refreshed my installation and am running that.

Music room: 818v3, DSP8000SE, Roon/Intel NUC, microRendu/LPS-1 into Geek Pulse Xfi into Audeze LCD-3
HT: G61R, HD621, MS600, Oppo, Avantgarde Solo
Library: MS600, Bel Canto, Mark & Daniel
Other: SonicOrbiter, GeekOut, Audeze EL-8
#165649 - 2012-04-28 17:06 Re: Problems with export [Re: AndersVinberg]
ncpl Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
ncpl Offline

Loc: Surrey, UK
Hi Anders, FWIW
I have had no issues with a straight export using natve format. I've run it incrementally over 100,000+ tracks. No duplicates. Always seemed to sync any edits I made pretty well. If I watched the edited folder in explorer then it was easy to see files being replaced.

Exporting MP3 was always a problem for me. Never landed a full export. Gave up and saved the HDD with it. Activating an MP3 export also caused the native to re-run simultaneously which was a royal p.i.t.a.

Others have iTunes export issues.

If a full native export doesn't work 100% for you then before investing a load more time I would be tempted to wait for the next release of f/ware. I'm guessing that some improvements must be in order from HQ.

Rgds,
Nick

#15SE
#265843 - 2017-07-11 15:05 Re: Problems with export [Re: ncpl]
Winot Offline
Harmless
Winot Offline
Harmless

Loc: UK
I am running a native export from Sooloos to a 200GB SD card on my Mac. It is very slow (although I am exporting high res albums) and seems to be exporting duplicates of every track - so in the album folder I am getting Track and Track1.

Any ideas?

Winot
#265844 - 2017-07-11 16:02 Re: Problems with export [Re: Winot]
Carl Offline
Carl Offline

Loc: Central England, UK
Hi,

Make sure that all Sooloos devices and the Mac are hardwired to the network.

The performance of SD cards can vary, that may be one source of bottleneck.

Track and Track1 sounds like two exports are running.
Or the folder structure was not clear before the second backup was started.

How many tracks do you have to export?

I'd be tempted to start again and backup to a SDD or even a HDD rather than a SD card.

Regards,
Carl

PS
The best export performance I every achieved was circa 15 second per album and that was using: MD600 (7k2 RPM disks) to QNAP (7k2 RPM disks) using an i7 Windows PC ... all hardwired to a GB LAN switch.

861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
#265846 - 2017-07-11 16:24 Re: Problems with export [Re: Carl]
Winot Offline
Harmless
Winot Offline
Harmless

Thanks. I think two exports might be running - but I fear I am so far into this (it has been running all night) that it is better to wait till it finishes then de-dupe.

Everything is hardwired. I'm not running it as a backup - I have bought a Pioneer XDP-300R portable music player which takes SD cards so that's the reason for the export.

Winot
#265961 - 2017-07-15 14:14 Re: Problems with export [Re: Carl]
Winot Offline
Harmless
Winot Offline
Harmless

Originally Posted By Carl
I'd be tempted to start again and backup to a SDD or even a HDD rather than a SD card.
This was good advice - I had a number of failed exports due to purportedly corrupt files but export to an HD then from there to the SD card worked fine.

Thanks!

Winot
#266077 - 2017-07-18 05:53 Re: Problems with export [Re: AndersVinberg]
Saint0 Offline
Harmless
Saint0 Offline
Harmless

Loc: Irvine, CA, USA
Export from Sooloos to iTunes has always buggy and unstable in my experience, and my network is solid. Older Sooloos versions had a lot of problems with duplication and hung queue. It's much better now, but still have issues from time to time. Power reseting the Sooloos Core tend to solve the problem for a while.

I suspect one of the main issue is because Sooloos database structure is incompatible to iTunes'. Sooloos' metadata is link to the Album, while iTunes is link to the track. You can edit iTune's genre, artist info. track by track within an album, but you can't do that with Sooloos. They both have their pros & cons.

C15 (2u), QNAP TS453a, 218 (3u), MS600, C10 (died), 2TB Ensemble (died)
2Ch: Devialet 250 PRO, Focal Scala, Velodyne DD10+, PS Audio P10, Transparent MM2
HT: Integra 80.3 AVR, 50.3 BlueRay, 5.2: Triad & DD10+
Runco VX2000, Stewart 110" screen, SONY 65" XBR 4K
House: Sonance & Audio Architect Amps, Sonance
Crestron PRO2, 8x8 Audio Switch, PS Audio P10

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
3 registered (PWM, Gcap, MTH), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tybot, COTJ, Hualon, ChalkyFingers, HappyHal
4635 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
3dit0r 88
Ratbert 57
CMB Integrations - Bruce 51
Tarik 37
Awb 28
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12325
Fiddler 8659
ncpl 8436
Carl 7701
Ian 7454
Forum Stats
4,635 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,895 Topics
254,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant