Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133145 - 2010-12-29 19:39 Sooloos Frustrations BUT Sooloos is worthwhile [Re: Dollar2]
Tassie Devil Offline
Pan-dimensional being
Tassie Devil Offline
Pan-dimensional being

Loc: Dilston, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dollar2
Originally Posted By: Dolf

8/ I am listening while ripping and there are infrequent cutouts. They are not data errors as when I replay the track there is no problem.

This almost certainly a network traffic issue. Does your Sooloos system have its own router? As you found out, wiring the system is huge. I was trying wireless between buildings and it simply wasn't stable enough. Once the wire was run, there were no problems.

I'm having the cutout problem now but did not have it before the firmware update so maybe my fears about "cure one poroblm but introduce another" are coming true? I'm not ripping but just tidying up the files by combining some and giving new tags to others. It is not a complete shutdown most times, although that has occurred, but a cut out of music + inability to access the files for awhile.

I have a dedicated router and am accessing the net from time to time to see if their is more data (like covers and/or more info) to be accessed from the metadata base. Most times no more data available but there have been some nice surprises which turned unknown albums into known territory.

However I do not want to give the impression the Sooloos system is crap, it is not. But like just about all other systems controlled by processors with software (particularly PCs) problems seem inevitable. The pluses of Sooloos far our weight the negatives. And by far the biggest negative is the high cost with the tediousness of ripping the second.

Ultimately whether or not it is worth it is a personal decision but the bottom line for me, and seems to be for others, is that Sooloos really does inspire a new enthusiasm for listening to music with long forgotten albums resurfacing and being listened to at the best audio quality ever heard. So for me, yes it has been, and is, worthwhile.

John

3 HD TV PVRs, DVDR & OPPO -> HD621 -> 861v4
Esoteric UX1 LE, LDs (HLD-X9 & D925)-> iScan VP50 -> HD621 etc
Sooloos: C10/MS600 ->M2Tech Vaughan ->Blockhead ->Senn HD800
* video -> Sony VW200
* audio-> McIntosh C200 & 861v4 -> Halcro DM68 + Plinius amps -> E/S L/R Sound Labs, E/S centre & 4 spkrs + 4 subs
System control: HTM Aeros & 12CH IR switcher
Edited by Tassie Devil; 2010-12-29 19:41. Edit Reason: Correct dumb spelling!
#133146 - 2010-12-29 21:10 Re: Sooloos Frustrations BUT Sooloos is worthwhile [Re: Dolf]
Dolf Offline
Paranoid android
Dolf Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada / Maui
Hi John,

Thanks for a very well written post that in summary I would agree with. I in no way intended to make this a Sooloos bashing thread but rather a common place to sort out Sooloos problems.

All in all I would not reverse my purchasing decision if I could, but unlike all of my Meridian speakers where I am unreservedly delighted, I have mixed feelings with the C15. The OS is fabulous if you have a huge collection, the SQ is darn good, but the anomolies, glitches and snags with the ripping and communicating software is a pain and IMHO an embarassment with this price of gear.

Enough said, now I am going to keep it to the technical issues and solutions.

Home: DSP8000's, DSP5500HC, DSP5200's, 861v6>v8+ID41, MC200, HD621.
Oppo BDP-83, Kuro PDP-6020FD, Sennheiser HD650.
Hawaii: Meridian F80 with i80, iPod Classic 160GB.
#133155 - 2010-12-30 04:12 Re: Sooloos Frustrations [Re: Dolf]
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: South Wiltshire, UK
Hi Bill,

I am not sure that I understand your question. I have one router which has 4 ethernet ports on the back. One of each of those goes to my NAS drive, C15, and two computers. So my understanding is that everything is as stable as I can get it. I need more time to try it.

Aloha,

As a matter of interest, do you use fixed IP addresses for all you devices? Sometimes when a device comes out of standby and finds another device is using its previous IP address that can lead to issues. I have about 20 things that connect to my router (mostly wirelessly) and have found that using static or fixed IP addreses makes life a lot easier.

Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
#133157 - 2010-12-30 05:03 Re: Sooloos Frustrations [Re: Dolf]
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government

Loc: Surrey, England, UK
Use of dynamic (DHCP) allocated IP addresses should not cause an issue with conflicting IP addresses unless it is mis-configured. A device coming out of standby will either be allocated its old IP address if its lease has not expired or, if that IP address' lease has expired, then it will either be allocated the same IP address back or, if that address has been reused, then it will be allocated another one. The DHCP protocol prevents IP address conflict unless it is mis-configured, typically with overlapping address ranges either with static IP addresses or another DHCP server.

Infact, use of DHCP is most likely to result in non conflicting IP addresses rather than use of static IP addresses where human error may intervene.

Easiest and most error free way for home use is DHCP IP addresses with long or permanent leases. That way, the device will always be allocated the same non conflicting IP address.

Meridian owner since 1992
DSP5000 96/24, MC200, Prime & PSU, Focal Elear, Explorer 1 & 2, F80, 200/203 and various Sonos.
#133162 - 2010-12-30 07:41 Re: Sooloos Frustrations [Re: Dolf]
Dollar2 Offline
Paranoid android
Dollar2 Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Durham, CT, USA
Hi Bill,

I am not sure that I understand your question. I have one router which has 4 ethernet ports on the back. One of each of those goes to my NAS drive, C15, and two computers. So my understanding is that everything is as stable as I can get it. I need more time to try it.

Aloha,

I have heard of cases from my dealer where some customers have multiple routers in their networks and they're not set up properly. Usually, the DHCP parameters are wrong. But, that's certainly not the case for you if you only have one router in your network.

Still, you may want to run a quick experiment and disconnect your computers and NAS and try ripping and listening at the same time if that's the glitch. My setup is different because I have a C10 and TwinStore, so I am more reliant on a stable network. You would think that the C15 is immune to these issues since the only external traffic it should see is the internet pulling the metadata.

You might also want to see if you have the same problem when ripping CDs in ControlPC (or MAC) while playing music. Yesterday, I tried ripping a relatively new CD with a C10 and it stalled. I tried with Control MAC and it went without a hitch.

Regards,
Bill

Sys 1: AC200, (2) DSP3200s, (4) P320is
Sys 2: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s,
Sys 3: 861v4+ID40, (2) DSP5200s, DSP5200HC
Sys 4: Prime HPA+PS, Focal Utopia
#133168 - 2010-12-30 10:02 Re: Sooloos Frustrations [Re: Ian]
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: South Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted By: Ian
Use of dynamic (DHCP) allocated IP addresses should not cause an issue with conflicting IP addresses unless it is mis-configured. A device coming out of standby will either be allocated its old IP address if its lease has not expired or, if that IP address' lease has expired, then it will either be allocated the same IP address back or, if that address has been reused, then it will be allocated another one. The DHCP protocol prevents IP address conflict unless it is mis-configured, typically with overlapping address ranges either with static IP addresses or another DHCP server.

Infact, use of DHCP is most likely to result in non conflicting IP addresses rather than use of static IP addresses where human error may intervene.

Easiest and most error free way for home use is DHCP IP addresses with long or permanent leases. That way, the device will always be allocated the same non conflicting IP address.

In the earlier days of the Squeezebox system, problems used to arise if a player in contact with the the server was assigned a different IP address from one listening session to the next. This wasn't an IP address conflict but more of device-device communication issue. Ever since then I've taken the precaution of using static IP addresses. Yon don't have to abandon the DHCP but simply reserve addresses for specified devices via your router set-up which I believe you are suggesting in the final sentence of your post.

Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
3 registered (Colin Triggs, Greg Wright, SteveS), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
X999, FR13FR, GazB, TL101, ThoughtPolice
4651 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 53
3dit0r 34
CMB Integrations - Bruce 33
Martins HiFi 26
spinaltap 24
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12360
Fiddler 8667
ncpl 8456
Carl 7731
Ian 7500
Forum Stats
4,651 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,997 Topics
255,179 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant