Preview the Sound of MQA

Posted by: Meridian HQ

Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-17 20:33

Remember that you can hear Meridian's award winning technology MQA for yourself at exclusive events around the world.

Visit the news pages of the website for more information.

The website and our social pages will be updated as new dates are added.

#MusicIsChanging
Posted by: Roving Gecko

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-18 03:18

Saw that, wondering whether there are any Dutch events coming up?
Posted by: Yetis

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-18 03:33

I hear you. Not sure if this site is viewed as a distinctly UK forum, but I am surprised how little there is on the North America front. I know there is something in the works in NYC, but it's an important market?
Posted by: JimK

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-18 06:26

Interesting point. No involvement by any US partner. It could be due to M-America policy about territorial integrity, I suppose. Wouldn't you think there is a used equipment opportunity, if nothing else, for someone over here?
Posted by: Dave999

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-19 07:07

It is pretty amazing that there is no announcement of any U.S. based events.
Posted by: ISB

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-19 08:35

Feeling neglected in the colonies frown

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-19 09:32

To be fair, I am aware of some plans for an event in NY city, at the Meridian facility, though have no specifics beyond that its likely in March.

It has long been my battle cry, the difference in dealer support here in the US relative to other markets. We all know they watch this forum confused. That and the lack of competition in NYC... 9mm people and growing and the hottest global condo market in the world. Avg price of a condo in NYC in 2014, $2.4mm (1.5mm Pounds). You cannot tell me there isn't demand for two players in this market. But I digress
Posted by: Jdb-si

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-21 18:22

If the NYC event is open to us HHs, I may be interested in attending.
Posted by: Still-one

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-21 19:34

When I called a local dealer here in SE Michigan about a week ago asking if they had heard anything about timing or pricing for upgrading my 808 to v6 (No), he did mention they were trying to organize an event but not until the May timeframe.
Posted by: Not'arf

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-22 14:00

Thanks for that HQ; despite living in Italy for most of the year I've just looked at your news pages & there's an event I can attend, so thanks for the heads-up.

I'll contact the dealer in question & hopefully get myself along.
Posted by: Dave999

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 04:56

And only one dealer in PA, NJ and DE that I am aware of.

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 05:50

Originally Posted By: Yetis
It has long been my battle cry, the difference in dealer support here in the US relative to other markets... But I digress
Come out to L.A. We have five dealers out here but no NFL team. I digress, too.
Posted by: Kswanson

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 06:37

You may have two in a few months. More digression...

Ken

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 06:55

Clearly the strategy is different in the US. Though I do wonder if its really that the UK and parts of Europe are one way and the rest of the world is more akin to the USA. That is, large dominate dealers with integrators and consultants doing custom work far more prolific. NAIM was the same way. Finding Naim gear was equally challenging in the USA, though I think there are two or three dealers in the New York Tri State region.

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 09:36

Originally Posted By: Kswanson
You may have two in a few months. More digression...
Dealers? Or teams? Both?
Digression ends... for now.
Posted by: JaapJan

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 18:47

It was just confirmed to me by the Dutch importer Viertron that MQA sessions are on the agenda for The Netherlands! Probably April time. We are advised to check social media and website.
Yippeeh.
Posted by: Rolski

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 19:13

And Germany ?
Not a squeak from the local representatives....

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 20:06

Have you asked your importer Audio Reference or your local rep at Hifi Eins? Otherwise just cross the border, you are so close to NL and if you ar lucky the Venlo dealer will be in the loop.
Cheers!
Posted by: Jack D

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 20:23

There is no M dealer anywhere near Washington DC area. So I guess no hope for those of us in the capital... Maybe M should consider doing a road show?

Or maybe many of us will first be able to hear MQA in action if/when Tidal streams it and is integrated into Sooloos.

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 20:43

The ironic part of this all is that one of the very first demo's of M's SE hardware was done at a US dealer in California, Audio High. I have to imagine they are doing a demo!

Audio High 7200SE Stereophile.
Posted by: Soundserge

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 20:54

Originally Posted By: Jack D
There is no M dealer anywhere near Washington DC area. So I guess no hope for those of us in the capital... Maybe M should consider doing a road show? Or maybe many of us will first be able to hear MQA in action if/when Tidal streams it and is integrated into Sooloos.
Jack - I've been pointed in the direction of this dealer before by Meridian US folks. I have not visited, but my understanding is it's appointment only. PM me for contact info.

Actually, looks like one can stop by their showroom after all.

Soundserge
Posted by: Kswanson

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 23:11

I'm pretty sure that same demo that blew the reviewer away included MQA before MQA was publicly announced.

Ken
Posted by: dpstjp

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-24 23:31

Is Bob dancing in that shot?
Posted by: MJT5282

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-25 00:49

Originally Posted By: Kswanson
I'm pretty sure that same demo that blew the reviewer away included MQA before MQA was publicly announced.
A reasonable analysis of the Stereophile review and the timeline involved would lead me to also believe it was an unannounced public demonstration of the new MQA technology smile
Posted by: ISB

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-02-25 01:21

Originally Posted By: dpstjp
Is Bob dancing in that shot?
... with perfect timing.
Posted by: DonRon

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-03-07 16:02

Originally Posted By: JaapJan
It was just confirmed to me by the Dutch importer Viertron that MQA sessions are on the agenda for The Netherlands! Probably April time. We are advised to check social media and website.
Yippeeh.
MQA Demo
Posted by: Pieter dVR

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-03-07 18:38

Thanks! I just booked for 18 of April!

Pieter

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-03-21 20:35

I am booked laugh , maybe a nice opportunity to meet some fellow HH as well.

Cheers!

Re: Preview the Sound of MQA - 2015-04-10 23:24

Viertron announced the following MQA shows in NL and B:

Saturday 18 April: Hilversum - Beter Beeld en Geluid (vol)
Saturday 25 April: Rotterdam - Multifoon
Saturday 16 May: Oostzaan - Puur AVD
Saturday 30 May: Venlo - Van Duppen Audio
Saturday 06 June: Amsterdam - Concerto Audio
Saturday 13 June: Vries - Audio Artistiek
Saturday 20 June: Brasschaat - Alpha Highend

Get tickets via MQA reservations

Cheers!
Posted by: Rolski

MQA news update ? - 2015-07-15 16:18

It's all gone quiet in here... also regarding MQA in general...

Any news / experiences / updates / gossip? wink
Posted by: Soundserge

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 07:44

This article by Robert Harley was seemingly published on July 20 2015, but I don't see anything new. He writes that TIDAL will begin streaming MQA music in Q2 of 2015.

Soundserge
Posted by: VirusKiller

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 07:58

I've heard that it's now essentially in the hands of the studios.
Posted by: Ratbert

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 09:31

Not sure quite how to feel about that confused

Russ
Posted by: VirusKiller

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 09:32

I know what you mean.
Posted by: spinaltap

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 16:03

If nothing substantive emerges from the recording studios, perhaps Meridian ought to follow in the steps of Linn et al and produce their own series of MQA CD's.
Posted by: Altus

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 16:16

Presumably the logjam is caused by lack of agreement on royalties - fair enough.

I can't help thinking that the "A" in MQA was always going to be an ambitious objective. Would it not be better to allow the compression technique to be used such that any hi res music can at least be streamed - forget the "A" element for the time being and just take the existing hi res catalogue, compress it and stream it without the magic added ingredient?
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 16:26

The most important buy-in that needs to come from the Studios is that they need to utilize the new Tools available to them to REMASTER the older Analogue Tapes and digital recordings.

Without that commitment, then MQA will not offer any audible benefits and will be DOA I'm afraid.

Once the above work is completed, the delivery mechanism is almost a secondary concern... even though it certainly makes most commercial sense for the Studios to utilize the bandwidth advantages of MQA to deliver the benefits to a wider and paying audience.
Posted by: Altus

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 16:40

You may well be right.

However, a current hi res work which has been compressed using the technique will sound better than a 16/44 work once decoded - and that is probably good enough for the majority of the public and dare I say it, most audiophiles.

I'm not sure the delivery mechanism is secondary from a commercial perspective - it is this aspect which opens up the wider market (if it exists). The "A" is the icing on the cake for us audiophiles.

Just thoughts.

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 17:14

Recent TAS note said next MQA announcements coming at IFA in Berlin later this summer
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 19:07

Originally Posted By AltusLiceor
However, a current hi res work which has been compressed using the technique will sound better than a 16/44 work once decoded
Even a quick look on Computer Audiophile and similar sites will show that a very significant percentage of the current "High Res" offerings available at HDTracks et al offer nothing over and above their CD equivalents.

And analysis using Audacity etc. shows that many of these "High Res" recordings have simply been upsampled from 16/44 sources... and offer little to no information above 20kHz as a result.

And that is why the studios need to buy into the fact that just taking their current HiRes offerings and putting it into a different MQA bucket is simply not going to appeal to most... and I sincerely hope that is not the "easy way out" that the studios will take.

To put it in terms you used earlier... without the 'A' of MQA, then everything else becomes a moot point IMHO.
Posted by: Ratbert

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-07-21 21:17

I fear it will all end up a compromise.... frown

Russ
Posted by: GMT

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-11-12 13:10

Originally Posted By VirusKiller
I've heard that it's now essentially in the hands of the studios.
If we are just waiting for the Studios's to release material, is there a good reason why M haven't provided a definitive statement on how existing equipment will work with MQA (or have I missed something)?

Cheers
Tom
Posted by: gIzzE

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-11-12 14:32

Just logged in for the first time in ages to see how everyone is getting on with MQA and what was needed for it?

Can I take it that nothing is any further than the start of the year?
Posted by: Hector

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-11-12 16:11

Best to concentrate on the Christmas jumper stock and meeting uni costs.

Hector
Posted by: gIzzE

Re: MQA news update ? - 2015-11-12 19:49

Haha! She has finished Uni now, just paying off the debt. Will have it paid by 2030. 😩

So I can stop worrying about MQA for the time being? Phew!